User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Texas Class A

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also recommend looking up escapees. There are guides and up to date reviews from others on their test experiences, perhaps even your area.

My driving test was in a rural town environment. Think - turn signals, correct turn lane and avoid hitting curbs. First time I had some one evaluating my driving since high school. Lol. The little girl officer had me scared shi—less.

Most folk blow this license off-In the eyes of the DPS it is very cut and dry-they just look at the GVWR of both the truck and trailer to determine if you are required to have the Texas class A exempt

…just like making sure the tow vehicle isn’t overloaded with the trailer.

Similarly, as noted above, it’s not the weight police/DPS officer you should fear but rather the insurance company or jury that will evaluate if you are compliant.

Hope that day never comes for any of us.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did mine last year. I took two writtens and a driving. I did the written in Decatur and the driving test in Bowie. I did not take my Fifth wheel. I took my 26 ft goose neck equipment trailer with nothing on it. The two stickers on truck and trailer have to just have the capacity over 26k…And I used the site rob mentions to get all the details.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpfinder View Post
    I did mine last year. I took two writtens and a driving. I did the written in Decatur and the driving test in Bowie. I did not take my Fifth wheel. I took my 26 ft goose neck equipment trailer with nothing on it. The two stickers on truck and trailer have to just have the capacity over 26k…And I used the site rob mentions to get all the details.
    Quick question, how did you get to/from the test site? I asked down at DMV how I was supposed to do this and they told me I'd have to have someone with a CDL drive me to/from. I don't know someone with a CDL (or a non-commercial class A), so I've been wondering how I can do this without the risk of failing the test and having to unhook. My only thought was having my wife drive our other truck (10K GVWR) there. I'd drive there with the trailer on the smaller truck (14K trailer + 10K truck, so under) then once there, hook up to the big truck (14K truck, 14K trailer, over 26K) for the test. Thing is, DMV wouldn't tell me if they'd allow that and/or there was space in the testing location for 2 trucks.

Don't get me started on how ridiculous that is, I don't want to get into it, just wondering how others worked around the "you need to be at the testing site with a vehicle you're not licensed to drive" issue.

This is why I’m going to domicile in Florida 😌
    ROFL. Don't get me started. I've told my wife many times, we should get divorced, I should buy a trailer (not an RV, a single wide) for about 10K inland in FL as my "home". Would solve the license problem, would solve the usurious level of tax on heavy vehicles in SC (my F450 costs close to 4K a year to register), and, of course, would be a complete boon avoiding the thousands a year in income tax. Seems like a no brainer to me, somehow, she doesn't exactly agree.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In Texas when taking the skills driving test, they will not ask you how you got the rig to the testing station, so don't worry about it.
    However in Texas, if you are worried about it, there is a limited time learns permit you can get to legally drive the rig on a standard drivers license.

Look people, it's not that big of a deal.
    Do the DPS officers know about the requirement, Yes they do. Will all local cops know about it, probably not. Are the cops looking for RVers, no their not. What makes it frustrating sometimes is a lot of the more remote DPS testing offices are not up to speed on the Class A or B Non-CDL Exempt requirements.
    If your rig is licensed in Texas, and your rig's GVWR is over 26001 (example Class B license Motorhome), or if the combined GVWR for the truck and trailer is over 26001 and the trailer GVWR is over 10,000 (example Class A license 5th wheel), You need the special license.

Should you get the license? Yes, cover your back side for any event!
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Texas Class A

@Overtaxed ; don’t worry about getting the rig at the DPS for the driving test, it is very likely no one will ask you about that.

As for saving taxes by establishing domicile in a different state, you can still do it without divorcing your wife, it is not mandatory for spouses to have the same domicile [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Momentum 395MS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did a class A in 2020. Written test on Chapter 14 and driving test that included backing about 100' then driving for about 10 minutes. I did it at the DPS facility on Westinghouse Road between Round Rock and Georgetown.
    2020 Solitude 310 GKR

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12