User Tag List

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Entry door problems across multiple Grand Design lines

Picked up a new Grand Design 260 RD in June, first time out after leveling and extending the slide out we noticed GAP BETWEEN DOOR AND FRAME(1/4-1/2 IN) while sitting in the recliner, this was in August. In for warranty repairs for about 30 days with adjustment of door and other items. Out again in September, again daylight at top of door. Door moving very stiff and screen doesn’t stay locked to door. Have also had some problems with the locks. Back to dealer, claim submitted to Grand Design and Lippert approved Oct 8, acknowledged on the 11th, still waiting for door. Probably another 4 weeks. Sealed unit with adhesive carpet protector film from Home Depot.

Dealer tells me he has 4 units waiting for doors and it has been a problem this year. He reports some units when sitting in the sun the door becomes inoperable (won’t open even from inside)
    Tom & Ellen McHugh
    Weldon Spring MO

2021 F350 Crewcab SB 7.3 gas
    GD 150 RD260

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grand Design is now covering another repair, gap is now at bottom of door, catch doesn’t allow door to close unless it is held in the open position
    Tom & Ellen McHugh
    Weldon Spring MO

2021 F350 Crewcab SB 7.3 gas
    GD 150 RD260

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot View Post
    Picked up a new Grand Design 260 RD in June, first time out after leveling and extending the slide out we noticed GAP BETWEEN DOOR AND FRAME(1/4-1/2 IN) while sitting in the recliner, this was in August. In for warranty repairs for about 30 days with adjustment of door and other items. Out again in September, again daylight at top of door. Door moving very stiff and screen doesn’t stay locked to door. Have also had some problems with the locks. Back to dealer, claim submitted to Grand Design and Lippert approved Oct 8, acknowledged on the 11th, still waiting for door. Probably another 4 weeks. Sealed unit with adhesive carpet protector film from Home Depot.

Dealer tells me he has 4 units waiting for doors and it has been a problem this year. He reports some units when sitting in the sun the door becomes inoperable (won’t open even from inside)
    Same problem on our 378. I was actually trapped inside on maiden trip (June 21) because the sun had warmed the door and I could not open it. Eventually got out after removing interior door handle and working on the latch with a flat head screw driver and putty knife. The entire door assembly (door, frame, screen door) was eventually replaced under warranty in Nov of 21 - it took 5 months to get a new door from Lippert. In order to use the camper while we were waiting on the replacement door, had to remove the strike plate, and even then, there was no guarantee the door would either open or close. Following replacement and when in direct sun this summer, the new door can be difficult to open. I could not install an RV Lock on the first door because neither the latch nor deadbolt could be engaged even without the strike plate. On the new door, I was able to install the RV Lock, but had to take a Dremel to the strike plate to significantly enlarge the opening. Something ain't right, but I don't know what else to do. Dealer and I checked camber on both the original and new doors and both were within specs.

Good luck on getting the new/old issue resolved.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)