Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is the best method for telling if your 5th wheel is level enough for autolevel?

I have a GD 150 series 5th wheel with an auto leveling system and 4 electric leveling jacks. The pin box is a Turning Point Pin Box. I know enough that when I set up that the RV needs to be close to level to keep the wheels on the ground. I want to avoid trying to auto level and find the wheels off the ground, hook back up and put something under the wheels and low side leveling jack, then try again. I used a Wheel Masters type level on my travel trailer that worked well for telling me if I needed to do right to left leveling when I was still hooked up. the nose of the trailer doesn't have a flate point that I could mount a backup level like I did with the travel trailer. I have looked into using a Wheel Masters 6780 Level Master that comes with mounting brackets to mount onto the Pin Box. The problem with using it is the Turning Point pin box is tapered and twists. This means I would have to both make sure it is low enough to clear the under side of the RV and still be able to have the driver see it in the rear view mirror. Plus with the taper I would need to engineer the mounting bracket to have about an inch standoff for on screw and about an 1/8 inch for the other. Does anyone have experience with this set up and have a recommendation for a level, either a marble level that mounts to the turning point pin box or a digital system that works well.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the 4 point auto leveling on mine. I just parked my 5er on a fairly level parking lot, then leveled the RV, and then placed some of those stick on level indicators in the storage area near the auto level control pad to indicate level. When camping, I try to be within a bubble +/- 0 level before auto leveling.

With my 4 point system, i dont like to be to far out of level to start with. But, some sites are what they are.... be sure to purchase some leveling blocks to support your jacks just incase. Have had to also find the "sweet spot" on the site pad a few times to start.
    Last edited by trailrydr; 11-09-2021 at 06:31 PM.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a stick-on level below the front compartment door.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7F70DBE4-F1AE-4DC9-9BAB-A642340F2518.jpeg 
Views:	22 
Size:	551.3 KB 
ID:	37623
    Paul and Sue
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, GooseBox hitch
    2019 Ram 3500 Cummins CC SB

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AR Kieft View Post
    I have a GD 150 series 5th wheel with an auto leveling system and 4 electric leveling jacks. The pin box is a Turning Point Pin Box. I know enough that when I set up that the RV needs to be close to level to keep the wheels on the ground. I want to avoid trying to auto level and find the wheels off the ground, hook back up and put something under the wheels and low side leveling jack, then try again. I used a Wheel Masters type level on my travel trailer that worked well for telling me if I needed to do right to left leveling when I was still hooked up. the nose of the trailer doesn't have a flate point that I could mount a backup level like I did with the travel trailer. I have looked into using a Wheel Masters 6780 Level Master that comes with mounting brackets to mount onto the Pin Box. The problem with using it is the Turning Point pin box is tapered and twists. This means I would have to both make sure it is low enough to clear the under side of the RV and still be able to have the driver see it in the rear view mirror. Plus with the taper I would need to engineer the mounting bracket to have about an inch standoff for on screw and about an 1/8 inch for the other. Does anyone have experience with this set up and have a recommendation for a level, either a marble level that mounts to the turning point pin box or a digital system that works well.
    We use the LevelMate Plus. Works great!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to all that replied.
    Art and Denise
    2014 F250 Gas 2022 150 series 295RL
    RV'er since 1983 Retired since 2015 Half timer since 2019

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep in mind that most absorption refrigerators require level within 3 degrees. That's several inches over a typical width and far enough to make walking difficult.

Most other equipment is less sensitive.
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The trailer will auto level under almost any position. Where you run into problems is if it is too far off the rear jacks will over extend and the system locks up.When I get to a campsite I place a carpenters level crossways at the middle of the coach.. If needed I put Linx blocks on whatever side needed to get within a quarter bubble. If it's not level, the rear jacks may over-extend and lift the wheels on that side. I put 4-5 linx blocks under both rear pads to limit the amount of travel of the jacks. I have the short jacks so I'm almost 8" off the ground when I start. No issues so far.
    In order for the hitch height function to work, you have to have performed auto level with the front higher.
    Last edited by BobLandry; 11-15-2021 at 08:04 AM.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "In order for the hitch height function to work, you have to have performed auto level with the front higher."

I don't think so. I've done the auto level, and hitch height, with the front noticeable lower than level and it worked just fine. I usually eyeball mine and if it looks close, I'm good. The only time I've had issues is when I try to use the Andersen red buckets on the front, and that's only sometimes. Other times they work just fine.
    Last edited by Hoopy Frood; 11-15-2021 at 08:10 AM.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the auto leveling key pad. If you toggle through the menu it will display the pitch and yaw in degrees. If it’s off too much (yaw not pitch) I’ll block the tires on the low side. No need for a level. BTW, it’s a 2019 337RLS with the four electric jacks. Lippert system.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's what I do if I misjudge when I auto level and find the wheels off the ground on 1 side. I put the system into manual and lift that side up higher, and put blocks under the wheels. Then I lower the jacks down a substantial amount and re auto level.
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast