Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by luke_Pa View Post
    We purchased a GD 397 TH that is due in May 2022. My F450 is going into production next week and now I am looking at which hitch.

I have read many posts, watched many you tube videos on 5th wheel hitches and clearances. One thing I don't want to do is damage my new 450 by not chosing the correct hitch and clearance. As of a few weeks ago I was leaning to the Reese 27K or B&W companion. Rrecently I watched a few videos on Gen Y. So, now I am really unsure. The on thing I dont like about the B&W is how it closes on the pin, I like the way the Reese closes on the pin. Not sure about the Gen Y at this point. But any advice you have is greatly appreciated.

I understand the Fords after 2017 have higer bed rails. So any Ford owners with 5ers, I appreciate your feedback.

Thanks
    I've gone through your same predicament. Gooseneck would be nice for bed space, but I didn't feel comfortable being so close to limit. Get the B&W. Height adjustment is similar in either. You will have height issues with the F450 regardless. Rail and truck will be higher than you'd think. Manageable, though. Rail should be about 3 inches lower in a perfect world. I'll be adjusting mine to the highest level, which will put my trailer slightly nose high after I've kissed the trailer ever so slightly, but I was turning on very uneven ground on a farm. I will say that only happened when I upgraded to the MorRyde rubber pin box, though.

The B&W gives me visual lock far better than the handle on the Reese. Just better piece of mind for me.

Either will work great, though.

Full Timing Family
    2021 Momentum 395MS-R
    2021 Ford F450 King Ranch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We purchased a GD 397 TH that is due in May 2022. My F450 is going into production next week and now I am looking at which hitch.

I have read many posts, watched many you tube videos on 5th wheel hitches and clearances. One thing I don't want to do is damage my new 450 by not chosing the correct hitch and clearance. As of a few weeks ago I was leaning to the Reese 27K or B&W companion. Rrecently I watched a few videos on Gen Y. So, now I am really unsure. The on thing I dont like about the B&W is how it closes on the pin, I like the way the Reese closes on the pin. Not sure about the Gen Y at this point. But any advice you have is greatly appreciated.

I understand the Fords after 2017 have higer bed rails. So any Ford owners with 5ers, I appreciate your feedback.

Thanks
    + 2 for the B&W 25K for the puck system. We're not running a Ford. We have about 7" of clearance on our 2021 GMC 3500HD dually, with the B&W set in the middle position.
    Bret King
    2021 GMC 3500 Denali HD 4x4 crew cab, DRW, 6.6L Duramax/10 speed Allison
    2020 Solitude 310-GK (#19), Platinum paint scheme, B&W Companion 25K hitch
    Maine

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am pulling my 16k Forest River Cardinal with the B&W 25k puck Companion, as is my friend with his 40' Cedar Creek. Solid product.
    I will at a point move to a very heavy DRV. I actually spoke to DRV direct earlier this year about the Reese Goosebox, and Gen-Y. DRV highly recommended the Gen-Y over the Goosebox, FYI.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RV Rig.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	21.9 KB 
ID:	37750
    2021 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW Air-ride
    B&W 25k Companion puck system
    2012 Forest River Cardinal 3550RL
    39 months to retirement, WE WILL GET THERE!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks
    I’ve had a Curt Q24 and replaced it with a B & W Companion for the puck system and am very happy with it. Quick, positive hitching, and flawless operation. My rig weighs 20,000+ lbs so to keep it level, I needed to put the hitch at its highest setting. Clearance for the frame rails is tight, but sufficient. It’s an excellent hitch.
    Matt
    2021 Momentum 376THS FW
    2020 Ram 3500 HO Cummins DRW LB
    B&W Companion 25K Splendide Washer and Dryer Separate DV6400X

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbsah View Post
    Another +1 for the B&W Companion which has been working very well for us....
    And a +2 more for my brother and I. We pull our Solitude 2016 379FL with a B&W Turnover Ball and Companion hitch that is rated 20K pulling and 5K pin weight. By Brother pulls a 13.8K FR Hathaway with a B&W Turnover Ball and Companion Slider

Every time we take the RV somewhere I realize we made the best hitch decision...
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks
    For what it's worth we have been extremely happy with our B&W Companion hitch. Works well with our 2016 F-350 Super Duty [puck system]. Have not experienced any issues with hitching and/or towing our 2020 Solitude 373FB.
    Brad & Jeanette
    2020 Solitude 373FB
    2016 F350 Super Duty Lariat 4x4 DRW 6.7 Power Stroke V8 Crew Cab BW Companion 3300 Hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KamFlyer View Post
    @palmeris Are you referring to the Gen-Y Executive 5th wheel kingpin box or the gooseneck coupler? Personally, I plan on switching to the gooseneck coupler for the main purpose of getting rid of that big boat anchor in my truck bed.
    Also keep in mind that unless Lippert can prove that a non approved hitch caused frame damage, they cannot refuse warranty. Of course lawyers may have to get involved if it gets to that point.
    -Rob-
    Just wondering if you ever switched to the GenY. We just ordered one to replace a rhino box that comes standard with the 3740BH now so we can free up the space in our bed. We're wondering if we're going to have vertical clearance issues. 2018 F350 SRW 8' bed.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks
    We recently switched our TV from a 2019 F350 SRW to a 2022 F350 DRW. The 2019 had bed rails that were way too high IMO, had to tow nose high to get decent clearance. I'm glad to say that the dually is much lower. I started with the B&W Companion set to the mid height setting and found I could go to the lowest setting and still have about 7" of clearance and tow much more level. I suspect you will have a similar experience with the F450, only difference being wheel size. I am very happy with the Companion so far. I did consider a goosebox, but didn't want to spend the extra cash.

Brian
    Brian and Lisa - Longmont, CO
    2021 Solitude 310GK
    2022 F350 Lariat DRW Powerstroke
    Firestone airbags - WirelessOne Airlift
    B&W Companion 20K
    Tireminder TPMS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kengqiuist View Post
    Just wondering if you ever switched to the GenY. We just ordered one to replace a rhino box that comes standard with the 3740BH now so we can free up the space in our bed. We're wondering if we're going to have vertical clearance issues. 2018 F350 SRW 8' bed.
    No, we haven't. It just keeps sliding down the priority list unfortunately. I definitely do still want to go this route though.
    -Rob-
    Rob, Chris and fur baby Maya - Follow us at rctravels.rmcd.ca
    2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, Cerbo GX, 6x Battle Born 100AH, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink
    2023 GMC Sierra Duramax Denali 4x4 DRW Longbox Crew Cab, Curt Q25

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Gen-Y Executive hitch on my Reflection 295RL that I tow with my GMC 2500HD and I am completely satisfied with the unit. I'm not sure of the height of your bedsides on your new Ford, but I'm betting you could find that information relatively easy. My bedsides are pretty tall and I have yet to have any clearance issues getting into any campsites or parking lots.

I actually got one of the first units they made to fit my camper model and they were very pleasant to work with. The hitch itself bolted right up and is built like a tank with great welds and paint.

The camper tows way smoother with this hitch than any other hitch I've used. The empty bed is awesome when not towing and there is much more room in the bed when towing since you're hooked on to only the gooseneck ball.
    2021 GD Reflection 295RL
    2021 GMC Sierra HD AT4

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast