Quote Originally Posted by luke_Pa View Post
We purchased a GD 397 TH that is due in May 2022. My F450 is going into production next week and now I am looking at which hitch.

I have read many posts, watched many you tube videos on 5th wheel hitches and clearances. One thing I don't want to do is damage my new 450 by not chosing the correct hitch and clearance. As of a few weeks ago I was leaning to the Reese 27K or B&W companion. Rrecently I watched a few videos on Gen Y. So, now I am really unsure. The on thing I dont like about the B&W is how it closes on the pin, I like the way the Reese closes on the pin. Not sure about the Gen Y at this point. But any advice you have is greatly appreciated.

I understand the Fords after 2017 have higer bed rails. So any Ford owners with 5ers, I appreciate your feedback.

Thanks
I've gone through your same predicament. Gooseneck would be nice for bed space, but I didn't feel comfortable being so close to limit. Get the B&W. Height adjustment is similar in either. You will have height issues with the F450 regardless. Rail and truck will be higher than you'd think. Manageable, though. Rail should be about 3 inches lower in a perfect world. I'll be adjusting mine to the highest level, which will put my trailer slightly nose high after I've kissed the trailer ever so slightly, but I was turning on very uneven ground on a farm. I will say that only happened when I upgraded to the MorRyde rubber pin box, though.

The B&W gives me visual lock far better than the handle on the Reese. Just better piece of mind for me.

Either will work great, though.

Full Timing Family
2021 Momentum 395MS-R
2021 Ford F450 King Ranch