User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5th wheel Hitch B&W, Reese or GenY for a 2022 F450

We purchased a GD 397 TH that is due in May 2022. My F450 is going into production next week and now I am looking at which hitch.

I have read many posts, watched many you tube videos on 5th wheel hitches and clearances. One thing I don't want to do is damage my new 450 by not chosing the correct hitch and clearance. As of a few weeks ago I was leaning to the Reese 27K or B&W companion. Rrecently I watched a few videos on Gen Y. So, now I am really unsure. The on thing I dont like about the B&W is how it closes on the pin, I like the way the Reese closes on the pin. Not sure about the Gen Y at this point. But any advice you have is greatly appreciated.

I understand the Fords after 2017 have higer bed rails. So any Ford owners with 5ers, I appreciate your feedback.

Thanks
    2022 Grand Design 397THS-R
    2022 F450 lariat Antimatter Blue
    2012 FLHXSE3
    2014 FLHX Silver Lining Paint set (107 of 150)

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it were me with that combo, I'd get the B&W 25k for the puck system. I do like the Goosebox, but I think you'd be very close to its 4k pin weight capacity.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What will your toy be? That will really dictate what's on the pin. Personally, I would tow nothing but goose, but indeed you will likely be close to the Goosebox capacity. A GenY can more than handle but GenY refuses to pay for Lippert to certify with their frames, so any frame issues experienced with a GenY on could leave you without warranty relief. With the garbage welds coming through on Lippert frames through the pandemic build surge, I am uncertain I would gamble that even though I am a competent welder.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    What will your toy be? That will really dictate what's on the pin. Personally, I would tow nothing but goose, but indeed you will likely be close to the Goosebox capacity. A GenY can more than handle but GenY refuses to pay for Lippert to certify with their frames, so any frame issues experienced with a GenY on could leave you without warranty relief. With the garbage welds coming through on Lippert frames through the pandemic build surge, I am uncertain I would gamble that even though I am a competent welder.
    I should have included that in the post.

Most of the time I will have a harley bagger (street glide) and on occasions I will have 2 baggers. I am hoping to add a Honda Talon to the toys for some desert riding in the future. The new 13.6 garage should accomodate the Talon.
    2022 Grand Design 397THS-R
    2022 F450 lariat Antimatter Blue
    2012 FLHXSE3
    2014 FLHX Silver Lining Paint set (107 of 150)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is an email directly from GenY that addresses why Lippert doesnt approve then...

Thank you for reaching out! As of now our product is not approved by Lippert. We have met with Jason Lippert about this issue in the past and they have expressed that GEN-Y has a great product and wanted SOLE DISTRIBUTION of the EXECUTIVE line up to put on there frames. We did not want to give them SOLE DISTRIBUTION on a product that at times we have trouble keeping on the shelves! We are still currently trying to get approval but do not have any update on that at the moment. Our pin box is direct replacement, no modifications. It doesn't add any stress to the frame but actually takes away from it.

Let us know i you have any further questions.

Thanks,
    Angela Pavlenko
    Inside Sales
    Office: 574-218-6363
    Direct: 574-285-4750
    [email protected]

Check us out on Instagram or Facebook @genyhitch or on our website at www.genyhitch.com

The whole frame void thing is a marketing ploy... how long is the frame warranty that Lippert offers....do your own research and make an informed decison thats best for you
    Last edited by palmeris; 11-12-2021 at 06:25 AM.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have an F450, but I am very happy with the B&W Companion w/puck system. Lots of side rail clearance. In fact I will be dropping mine about an inch.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    I don't have an F450, but I am very happy with the B&W Companion w/puck system. Lots of side rail clearance. In fact I will be dropping mine about an inch.
    Same here, but I do have an F450. I have the B&W Companion 25K and I'm happy with it, but my toy hauler and toys don't weigh what yours do.
    signature

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We purchased a GD 397 TH that is due in May 2022. My F450 is going into production next week and now I am looking at which hitch.
    Another +1 for the B&W Companion which has been working very well for us.

What's the GVWR for the 397TH w/ the upgraded axles? Knowing that might impact your decision.

I understand the Fords after 2017 have higer bed rails. So any Ford owners with 5ers, I appreciate your feedback.
    I thought I read somewhere the 2020 and beyond Superduty bed rails were actually a little lower than prior years. I'm not sure which specific models and/or how much, if any, they were lowered though.
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by palmeris View Post
    Here is an email directly from GenY that addresses why Lippert doesnt approve then...

Thank you for reaching out! As of now our product is not approved by Lippert. We have met with Jason Lippert about this issue in the past and they have expressed that GEN-Y has a great product and wanted SOLE DISTRIBUTION of the EXECUTIVE line up to put on there frames. We did not want to give them SOLE DISTRIBUTION on a product that at times we have trouble keeping on the shelves! We are still currently trying to get approval but do not have any update on that at the moment. Our pin box is direct replacement, no modifications. It doesn't add any stress to the frame but actually takes away from it.

Let us know i you have any further questions.

Thanks,
    Angela Pavlenko
    Inside Sales
    Office: 574-218-6363
    Direct: 574-285-4750
    [email protected]

Check us out on Instagram or Facebook @genyhitch or on our website at www.genyhitch.com

The whole frame void thing is a marketing ploy... how long is the frame warranty that Lippert offers....do your own research and make an informed decison thats best for you
    @palmeris Are you referring to the Gen-Y Executive 5th wheel kingpin box or the gooseneck coupler? Personally, I plan on switching to the gooseneck coupler for the main purpose of getting rid of that big boat anchor in my truck bed.
    Also keep in mind that unless Lippert can prove that a non approved hitch caused frame damage, they cannot refuse warranty. Of course lawyers may have to get involved if it gets to that point.
    -Rob-
    Rob, Chris and fur baby Maya - Follow us at rctravels.rmcd.ca
    2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, Cerbo GX, 6x Battle Born 100AH, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink
    2023 GMC Sierra Duramax Denali 4x4 DRW Longbox Crew Cab, Curt Q25

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The GenY executive line... they have 5th wheel and gooseneck options...

I agree on the warranty BS, just a way to coerce a consumer due to the 8/16/21 marketing decision regarding the Resse Goosebox, which to me is an inferior product design as it requires an air bag and has a 20k limit.

Again folks should do their own research
    Last edited by palmeris; 11-12-2021 at 09:35 AM. Reason: link

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast