Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should we take our screen tent?

Hi all,

We're about to leave for two weeks in sunny Gulf Shores, AL and my wife asked a good questions - do we need to take our screen tent? Mosquitos and such are attracted to her like magnets. We've never camped that far south before in November, so you who have...what say ye?

Thanks,
    Gary & Marie Harrison

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Harrison View Post
    Hi all,

We're about to leave for two weeks in sunny Gulf Shores, AL and my wife asked a good questions - do we need to take our screen tent? Mosquitos and such are attracted to her like magnets. We've never camped that far south before in November, so you who have...what say ye?

Thanks,
    Gary & Marie Harrison
    It may depend on where you're camping. Many RV campgrounds that we've been in don't allow tents/screen rooms in addition to your rig.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would call the campground and ask. I've camped there in Sep. and Oct. with no bugs. Never camped there in Nov.
    2021 351MR
    2017 Jayco 377rlbh (sold)

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Funny, just left Gulf Shores this morning (11/11), after a 2 week stay. Not a bug to be seen. No mosquitos, no flies, nothing.

Temps are running from about 45-50 at night to 70-75 during the day. It gets cold really fast when the sun sets. I rode all the paved bike trails multiple times, said "Hi" to Lefty the gator a few times (dependably by the side of one of the trails). Hung out on the pier multiple times watching others mostly not catching much. Went inshore fishing with a guide, where the wife outfished me 4 to 1. Coming home with redfish, speckled trout, and sheepshead (saltwater kind) in the freezer. Probably the best State Park in the country as far as facilities, by a long shot.

They do allow screen tents, saw several. May be nice for extra shade, but not needed for bugs.
    Last edited by sande005; 11-11-2021 at 04:54 PM.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's where were heading! And we've been told to keep an eye out for Lefty. This is our first "long-distance" foray with our new(ish) rig. We leave Saturday and we race the weather south. Thanks all for the input.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That's where were heading! And we've been told to keep an eye out for Lefty. This is our first "long-distance" foray with our new(ish) rig. We leave Saturday and we race the weather south. Thanks all for the input.
    But bad news for us - returning home to Minn. just as the first snow falls!
    2017 Imagine 2670MK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, our deck is white this morning, so drive safely! This is our first winter camping experience - what do you do about salt and slush? Washing the underbelly might be difficult the end of November.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all,

Thanks,
    Gary & Marie Harrison
    If you have the room (space & weight) take it. My motto is, "Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well, our deck is white this morning, so drive safely! This is our first winter camping experience - what do you do about salt and slush? Washing the underbelly might be difficult the end of November.
    This is the latest we've ever pushed it. Hopefully the snow will be light enough that there won't be much salting. Will do some hosing off in the driveway, if needed. But resigned to more road salt, if there is any, in the final tow to the storage yard.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Screen Tent

Hi all,

Thanks,
    Gary & Marie Harrison
    Hi, I would definitely take the screen tent. We use ours on the beach for shade. We keep the ice chest in the shade and also it is nice to get ourselves out of the sun at times.
    Thomas & Makiko
    2021 GD2500RL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast