User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Switching from slider to anderson ultimate rail system?

Looking for your thoughts or experiences. We are thinking of switching from a slider hitch to an Anderson Ultimate rail system for our 2022 337rls. Our TV is a 2016 F250 4x4 SD short bed diesel and we have a TrailAire pin. As we are getting older, it is getting harder to lift the hitch off the truck. Looking for something lighter. Has anyone switched from PullRite slider to an Anderson Ultimate? Clearance issues on short bed? Ride? Chucking? Pro and cons would be appreciated either way.
    Thanks for your input!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not any help as far as comparing a slider hitch to the Andersen because this is my 1st 5th wheel and all I have experience with is the Andersen.
    It is the steel rail mount in a 2017 GMC 2500 short bed. I don't have any clearance problems with this set up. I really like the hitch because of the light weight.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180915_171243.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	37647
    People keep telling me to follow my dreams...so I went back to bed

2019 303rls
    2017 GMC 2500hd ccsb 2wd 6.0 gas
    Andersen ultimate rail mount hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a heavy slider as well but am looking at the Reese Goosebox instead of anderson.
    2020 Solitude 372WB
    2017 F350 Superduty 4x4, Heavy Duty Tow Package
    2900 Superglide Hitch, MORryde Rubber Pinbox
    Zinny, Golden Retriever (rescue)
    Belle, Golden Retriever (rescue)

"Life With a Dog is a Gift"

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're talking about a TrailAire RotoFlex pinbox, it's not compatible with the Andersen Ultimate nor the PullRite SuperLite. These hitches require a pinbox that keeps the pin vertical and the pin plate horizontal at all times. There may be a lock-out kit, but that would negate the purpose of a dampened pinbox. The MORryde rubber pinbox and others are compatible with these hitches. I used an Andersen Ultimate with a Demco Glide Ride pinbox on our Reflection 337 and was very happy with the combo.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    If you're talking about a TrailAire RotoFlex pinbox, it's not compatible with the Andersen Ultimate nor the PullRite SuperLite. These hitches require a pinbox that keeps the pin vertical and the pin plate horizontal at all times. There may be a lock-out kit, but that would negate the purpose of a dampened pinbox. The MORryde rubber pinbox and others are compatible with these hitches. I used an Andersen Ultimate with a Demco Glide Ride pinbox on our Reflection 337 and was very happy with the combo.

Rob
    Great information. We have a FlexAire by TrailAire pin box with air bag and it is not the roto flex. Still trying to figure out if this will work! Did you notice a smoother ride, less chucking with the Andersen? Thanks for your help. Hoping to get this figured out��

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by susanjp517 View Post
    Great information. We have a FlexAire by TrailAire pin box with air bag and it is not the roto flex. Still trying to figure out if this will work! Did you notice a smoother ride, less chucking with the Andersen? Thanks for your help. Hoping to get this figured out��
    With your pinbox, the Andersen won't make any difference in chucking, IMO. If anything, it's a more solid connection between the trailer and the truck so it will be quieter but motion will be transmitted more immediately. You would also give up the benefits of the slider with your short bed truck. The truck we had at the time had a 6.5' bed and the corners of the Reflection front cap would come withing 3 - 4 " of the back window of the truck when backing in to a really tight site.

Now... looking more closely at the FlexAir pinbox, it does utilize the RotoFlex style mechanism to dampen the fore-and-aft shock, so it's still not compatible with the Andersen Ultimate.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking for your thoughts or experiences. We are thinking of switching from a slider hitch to an Anderson Ultimate rail system for our 2022 337rls. Our TV is a 2016 F250 4x4 SD short bed diesel and we have a TrailAire pin. As we are getting older, it is getting harder to lift the hitch off the truck. Looking for something lighter. Has anyone switched from PullRite slider to an Anderson Ultimate? Clearance issues on short bed? Ride? Chucking? Pro and cons would be appreciated either way.
    Thanks for your input!
    Take a good hard look at the Pullrite 2600. Great hitch. 80 pounds and made out of steel!!!
    I am pulling a 42 footer with one

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I switched from the Pullrite Superglide to the Andersen Ultimate.

Jury is still out for me. I have experienced really bad chucking first time out. Have a rough freeway near me. Have not had that anywhere near as bad with my Pullrite. I would call it significantly increased chucking. I called Andersen when I got back for suggestions (and also posted here). Andersen suggested if there was some slop in the ball, to wrap the shaft with Teflon tape. I did have some slop and used some teflon tape and it tightened it up. I can't say for sure that it helped, but my sense is it did some.

I think a cushioned pin box like a Mor-Ryde will greatly reduce my chucking. I have a standard Lippert pin box with no flex or cushion.

I have only been on two trips,.. tightest turns were in my driveway at home. So far no issues with clearance.

I have a short bed Ram 3500.

Mike
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I move my slider with the front end loader on my tractor, but a "cherry picker" from Harbor Freight would also work well.
    Another option is a chain hoist from a garage ceiling like my neighbor uses.
    If the hitch is working well with the truck/trailer combination you have, consider ways to make moving the hitch easier.
    2019 2970RL
    2020 F250

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your input!
    I'm a couple months late to this thread, but I recently replaced my autoslider with a B&W hitch and Sidewinder pinbox. This frees up a lot of space and weight in the bed and the turning takes place at the pinbox which will give you the same clearance as you slider. I no longer need a hoist to remove the hitch!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast