User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does fifth wheel length include the nose?

We’re new to fifth wheeling. We are expecting delivery of our 280RS within the next couple of weeks. I’m in the process of booking campsite reservations for three upcoming trips. After booking over a dozen campsites I was asked by the staff of a campsite for a more precise measurement than I was prepared to provide. Looking at the spec sheet below from the GD website it shows the length to be 30’ 11”. I’ve booked all reservations for a 31’ trailer. I don’t know if that measurement includes the nose or just the box of the trailer. This particular campsite (in the Grand Canyon) requires the total trailer length from the back bumper to the pin box. Any help would be appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DAFA0D3D-9C28-43B1-9E1A-76CFCE231AD3.jpeg 
Views:	18 
Size:	163.4 KB 
ID:	37659
    Diane and Mike
    2022 280RS. Onan generator, Sumo Springs, MORyde crossmembers, hardwired surge protector
    2015 F-350 DRW 4x4 6.7L Power Stroke Feed Truck. 4.10s, front & rear stabilizer bars, Andersen 3221-TBX
    2021 Thor Chateau 22E Class C (retired) & 1970 Pop-Up Camper (retired - saw much of Western Europe)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Clay View Post
    We’re new to fifth wheeling. We are expecting delivery of our 280RS within the next couple of weeks. I’m in the process of booking campsite reservations for three upcoming trips. After booking over a dozen campsites I was asked by the staff of a campsite for a more precise measurement than I was prepared to provide. Looking at the spec sheet below from the GD website it shows the length to be 30’ 11”. I’ve booked all reservations for a 31’ trailer. I don’t know if that measurement includes the nose or just the box of the trailer. This particular campsite (in the Grand Canyon) requires the total trailer length from the back bumper to the pin box. Any help would be appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DAFA0D3D-9C28-43B1-9E1A-76CFCE231AD3.jpeg 
Views:	18 
Size:	163.4 KB 
ID:	37659
    If it is a 2022 or newer, the RV manufacturers are supposed to advertise the total length, from the top of the hitch to the farthest point on the back (ladder, spare tire, etc).

Prior to 2022, it was from the cap to back wall, OR the farthest point on the back. For Grand Design, for a 2021, they measured from the cap to the farthest point on the back.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Mark. It is a 2022.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Mark. It is a 2022.
    Now, is supposed to. You can always call Grand Design and ask.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just confirmed my reservation at the campsite that questioned the length of our fifth wheel. She’s had problems with folks reserving campsites using the length of what she called the “living area” of their fifth wheel trailer which does not include the “nose”. Anyhow, she was happy to reserve a spot in May for our 31’ trailer.

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just confirmed my reservation at the campsite that questioned the length of our fifth wheel. She’s had problems with folks reserving campsites using the length of what she called the “living area” of their fifth wheel trailer which does not include the “nose”. Anyhow, she was happy to reserve a spot in May for our 31’ trailer.
    Sounds like the lady might have been a bit confused. The length of the living area is an issue with travel trailers where people talk about the length of the "box" and exclude the A-frame. I've never heard of the living area concept applied to a fifth wheel.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Sounds like the lady might have been a bit confused. The length of the living area is an issue with travel trailers where people talk about the length of the "box" and exclude the A-frame. I've never heard of the living area concept applied to a fifth wheel.

Rob
    Rob, After speaking with her today I’m sure that you are correct; she’s confused and confusing to speak with. At any rate she’s had fifth wheel folks show up with trailers too long to fit in the spot reserved for them so she asks for total length dimensions prior to accepting a reservation. Additionally she won’t guarantee that my truck can be parked at the site. I may need to park it at the office.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a 31' 5er you'll need at least 42'+/- for the truck at 5er. A CC LB truck is 22' long + 31' = 53'
    There's usually some room to hang the rear over the stop blocks and you can snug the truck back under the front over hang. With a site that short it may be real hard to just get the 5er into the spot.
    YMMV

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    For a 31' 5er you'll need at least 42'+/- for the truck at 5er. A CC LB truck is 22' long + 31' = 53'
    There's usually some room to hang the rear over the stop blocks and you can snug the truck back under the front over hang. With a site that short it may be real hard to just get the 5er into the spot.
    YMMV
    Thanks. Our reservation is for a stubby pull through spot — last one on the row. No problem getting into it. We chose it for its view. She normally saves it for Class C motor homes but agreed to reserving it for us so long as we understood that nothing on our truck may intrude into the road. That’s fair enough. If I have to park the truck at the office that’s fine. I don’t want to be in anyone’s way.
    Diane and Mike
    2022 280RS. Onan generator, Sumo Springs, MORyde crossmembers, hardwired surge protector
    2015 F-350 DRW 4x4 6.7L Power Stroke Feed Truck. 4.10s, front & rear stabilizer bars, Andersen 3221-TBX
    2021 Thor Chateau 22E Class C (retired) & 1970 Pop-Up Camper (retired - saw much of Western Europe)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. Our reservation is for a stubby pull through spot — last one on the row. No problem getting into it. We chose it for its view. She normally saves it for Class C motor homes but agreed to reserving it for us so long as we understood that nothing on our truck may intrude into the road. That’s fair enough. If I have to park the truck at the office that’s fine. I don’t want to be in anyone’s way.
    Right on. Sounds like a nice place.