Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there, on our 2400BH, I added the following:
    • Tinted see-through Window with Blind for the main door
    • Metal Battery RV Lockbox
    • Drilled through the RV Propane Tank Retainer Wing Nut and a metal structure below and put a lock through both.
    • Custom Tubular Pin Tumbler Locks for all External Storage Bays
    • “Proven Locks” Hitch Lock
    • Blink Security Cams in Forward Storage, Side, and one Interior for monitoring when I am away

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good question(s). In our case we bought a like-new-to-us 2016 Solitude 379FL in 2017. I cannot recall exactly the minimum number of keys required exactly, but we have two doors, both with handle locks and deadbolt locks, two basement doors, a front boot and a back boot I seem to remember that each door had its own keys. We called that place in/near Elkhart that everyone talks about and ordered two door locks (double keyholes), two slam-latch locks for the basement, and two simple key-locks for the two boots...ALL with one key! The total was about $140, but that was three or four years ago. (I still have all of the old ones with keys if someone wants to make a reasonable offer). The funny part is that before we could never find the correct key because they all looked alike. Now we only carry ONE key, but we have 12 of them!!! We're thinking about adding them to the Propane doors.

We only use the deadbolt on the entrance doors, But I'm thinking that having separate keys for each door might be more secure. If a nefarious person found our keys and wanted to rob our RV, finding the correct key might take long enough for he/she to get caught!
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put a small combo lock on the straps each side of the 5th wheel. Won't keep out anyone forever but makes valves accessible. As far as pets go I do keep a key on the RV due to having a pet inside when we nned to be gone for a while in case something happens. We can call the campground or neighbor if something happens to us and tell them where the key is to get the pet out.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forgot to mention Blink cameras. Cheap enough and thru Amazon they use wi-fi. You will need a Blink sync module. Works well with the app on the cell phone or tablet

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use barrel locks on the front compartment of our 5th wheel, and use to put small locks on the straps of the propane tanks. I stopped using those as at times I would forget to take them off when traveling, or putting them back on when stopped (fire personnel don't only want to get at the valves if there is a fire, but want to get them out of the RV...they are bombs).
    I keep our RV at home in a rural area, we don't do overnights without the trailer, have a BIG dog and oh yea my next door neighbor is a CHP.
    We don't camp in sketchy parks. Parks that we do stay at are patrolled fairly regularly, and do have deterrents when at the trailer.
    Last edited by Gronk1; 11-20-2021 at 07:53 PM.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be a considerate neighbor. Get to know people camping around you and they will watch your camper, even without asking them to do so. Ask them what security issues they have seen (not perceived) and adjust accordingly. Add whatever devices you need to FEEL secure. Carry enough insurance to cover major replacement pain and avoid all insurance that doesn't and save the cost--keeping the profit in your own pocket.

My dad liked to say, locks are for honest people.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used 4 luggage locks to lock the propane straps closed. Very small, same TSA key and main doors still open.
    Bob and Cheryl, Puka the doodle
    2018 Ram 2500 Crew,Diesel,4x4
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2012 Palomino 6.5 camper

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only weak point with this would be a fresh steak. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	download%20(1).jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	12.0 KB 
ID:	37820

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Howell4 View Post
    I installed new door locks, new basement locks and double locked my propane bottles ( the propane bottles were stolen last winter). That cost me a 100 dollar bill !!!
    Hence why I lock those doors when in storage. Been there, done that.

For those who say cameras are only worth evidence.... BINGO! I'm not going do a R!ttenhouse on someone... I'll let the law do that, and hopefully keep some dirt bag from breaking into another trailer.... Never trust the owners of storage facilities or their supposed use of facility cameras either! Also, been there, done that!
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "What did you do to improve security of your unit?"

Nothing. Never had anything turn up missing in over 20 years.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast