User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What did you do to improve security of your unit?

Hello all. I recently picked up a 22 Solitude 390 RK-R. For over 20 years, my family has been in a seasonal site where I am fairly comfortable, and feel relatively secure (I know that things can happen anywhere), but now I am facing new challenges as I expand my RVing.

I have the opportunity to do work out of state, and would be staying in my camper at an RV park for about 6 weeks. It's just going to be me and the dog, so I am looking to do whatever I can to keep my valuables safe (traveling for work, I will have critical inventory with me, both in the actual coach and in the storage areas) and to sleep better at night.

I absolutely hate knowing that pretty much everyone has the same key to my door when I'm camping alone. I've read some threads on here about upgrading locks and getting everything on a single key. I thought it was a great tip to make sure to put a lock on the propane doors too...

Other than cameras (feel free to chime in on those, the place I'm going to will have wifi, but I'm unsure of the quality), what else can I do? I'm not so tech savvy... Should I make sure that I have devices with hotspots that I can tether off of? How exactly does this work?

I plan to travel with my dog, and while he can come to the office with me each day, there will be certain places (very limited) he can't go (like the grocery store). I would be heartbroken if someone stole him, or if there was an emergency and nobody could get inside to help him (with my fancy new locks). What is the best approach? Just putting up a sign that tells emergency responders that there is a dog inside?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by banshee View Post
    Hello all. I recently picked up a 22 Solitude 390 RK-R. For over 20 years, my family has been in a seasonal site where I am fairly comfortable, and feel relatively secure (I know that things can happen anywhere), but now I am facing new challenges as I expand my RVing.

I have the opportunity to do work out of state, and would be staying in my camper at an RV park for about 6 weeks. It's just going to be me and the dog, so I am looking to do whatever I can to keep my valuables safe (traveling for work, I will have critical inventory with me, both in the actual coach and in the storage areas) and to sleep better at night.

I absolutely hate knowing that pretty much everyone has the same key to my door when I'm camping alone. I've read some threads on here about upgrading locks and getting everything on a single key. I thought it was a great tip to make sure to put a lock on the propane doors too...

Other than cameras (feel free to chime in on those, the place I'm going to will have wifi, but I'm unsure of the quality), what else can I do? I'm not so tech savvy... Should I make sure that I have devices with hotspots that I can tether off of? How exactly does this work?

I plan to travel with my dog, and while he can come to the office with me each day, there will be certain places (very limited) he can't go (like the grocery store). I would be heartbroken if someone stole him, or if there was an emergency and nobody could get inside to help him (with my fancy new locks). What is the best approach? Just putting up a sign that tells emergency responders that there is a dog inside?
    I don't believe you can put locks on propane doors. They need to be quickly accessible when traveling, in case of fire.

"Security" in our rig - we removed the frosted window in the door and put a clear one in, so that we can see who's at the door. We can pretty much see all around the rig when inside, except for directly forward of the nose. We changed all the locks to one key. And we added a safe. Not much more we can do.

I've seen rigs that had signs in the window that there were dogs/pets inside.
    Last edited by livinthelife; 11-14-2021 at 11:03 AM.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We changed our door lock from the standard "Global Link RV Entry Door Locking Latch Kit" to the "Global Link Ultra M Pro Travel Trailer Lock". The standard lock handle is easy to break (ours was broke by a wannabe thief at our storage park site during COVID 2020). They even tried to pry the door jam too. they decided not to damage the trailer any further and gave up without causing too much damage. At the time, I figured it was another RV (storage renter) who had "some form of a" conscience and quit before doing more damage. As it turned out it I was right. A video caught him breaking into another trailer. He hit several before giving completely up. We left that facility shortly afterward, don't know or care what happened to him by the Sheriff. The new door lock handle locks down into itself, so there is no way to break the handle. Still wont stop someone who don't care about serious damage though. We also changed all of our 751 (every RV on the planet has) keyed cam locks to barrel locks. Prior to having our front door messed with, we had noticed that we were missing stuff in our front storage area. The barrel locks at least solve the (every RV on the planet has the 751 key) issue. But a dedicated thief will get in.... just not the stupid ones or those with "some form of" a conscience!

We also put barrel locks on our propane doors...... If they catch fire, well, I don't think anybody will have time or want to put it out anyway. And... the storage doors are so flimsy that its not going to take much to break them open if someone REALLY wanted to get into them.... but the whole trailer is built that way. So IMO, put your locks on and keep the stupid ones or those with some form of a conscience out.

We also placed a tiny rechargeable motion sensor camera w/sd card in our bedroom window so that we can capture a would be thief. We have it hooked up to a rechargeable battery back via USB for long term storage usage. Would recommend one of those too.
    Last edited by trailrydr; 11-14-2021 at 12:24 AM.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, my thought is that if you are in an RV park and looking to score whatever you can, you will be less likely to stand out as suspicious if you are using a key in locks vs a pry bar. It won't stop all thieves, but I'd like to put a speed bump in place for the opportunistic ones.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look into the codes covering LP gas. I believe you have to leave the door unlocked. So first responders can turn off gas if needed. I've heard of people using a cable lock on the bottle itself.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We try not to worry about it too much, but it's not easy for us. We lock everything. Even at home working out in the yard, our doors are locked. Weird I know. That said, we're realistic. If someone wants to get in, they'll get in. Heck, there are windows everywhere. That said, we do have a safe bolted under the bed vertically so we can drop our laptop, iPad, meds, etc., in without much hassle. We put the combination locks on the storage doors so there is no key. And I did buy an expensive hitch lock. Again, I know someone's going to get this stuff if they really want it, but it makes me feel better.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed a Ring alarm system in our RV. Every window and door, including the doors for the propane, have a contact sensor on them. I also have motion detectors in the living area and garage and two Ring cameras. On the rare occasions I have to leave our dog in the RV I like knowing I will be alerted if someone tampers with the rig. My main goal was to protect our dog when she is there alone and me and my wife when we are sleeping.

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As others have said, codes preventing locks on propane compartments are pretty much universal - and it's a bad idea. Look into it, but you might be able to put small locks on the propane straps, but first responders have to be able to access the valves on the tanks.

We switched our main door lock to an RVLock keypad entry door lock... mostly for convenience, but it is also more secure than the OEM lock: https://www.rvlock.com/

If you don't advertise that you have valuable stuff in the rig, you're not at any higher risk than anyone else. We've been full-time for over six years and have never had an issue with theft - even with nice bikes visible (locked, of course), extra propane tanks outside (again, a security cable and locks), etc. Most places, RVers are good about keeping an eye out for each other.

My final opinion - and it's just that, an opinion - is that cameras do little more than tell you what happened after the fact. Even if you have them connected to the internet with notifications on your phone, it takes time to notify the authorities and for someone to get the to park.

Now... welcome to the forum! You can create a signature block with your RV and tow vehicle information (see mine below). That way you won't have to repeat that information whenever you post or ask a question - and others won't have to ask. You can create a signature by going to:

Forum Actions (on menu bar) -> Edit Profile -> Edit Signature (under My Settings on the left)

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cameras can provide evidence but won't help much to stop a crook, but they can be a deterrent if the cameras are visible to them.

I plan on using a combo of cameras and close range motion sensors that will trigger a sound (chime) that can be heard inside the camper and to the intruder but not loud enough to disturb neighbors. Just enough for the intruder to know they triggered a sensor and when they look around they will see the cameras.
    2022 Imagine 22RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 Big Horn 5.7 Hemi 4X4
    USAF Veteran

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    We try not to worry about it too much, but it's not easy for us. We lock everything. Even at home working out in the yard, our doors are locked. Weird I know. That said, we're realistic. If someone wants to get in, they'll get in. Heck, there are windows everywhere. That said, we do have a safe bolted under the bed vertically so we can drop our laptop, iPad, meds, etc., in without much hassle. We put the combination locks on the storage doors so there is no key. And I did buy an expensive hitch lock. Again, I know someone's going to get this stuff if they really want it, but it makes me feel better.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Do you really want to be that specific WHERE the safe is on a public forum?

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast