User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In 30yrs... we never had any issues either. Prior to now, would only have worried about some unaware camper leaving food and trash in the open. Infact, before this latest industry explosion , never worried about leaving my campsite unsecure. But, times have obviously changed.

I might be a little more paranoid now if I were tent camping these days.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All we did was put a camera in the rig and a sign that you can see saying "Smile, you're on video". No problems. Never lock the rig, in fact, we've actually NEVER locked the rig. If something were to happen when we were out, I'd like to think that someone might step in and try to save our animals if they are inside, much more worried about them than someone stealing my dirty socks or hiking boots.

There's just not much of value sitting around to steal in most rigs. We actually do have something, I carry a full camera setup that's worth about 10K, but nobody would ever know that it's there and, if it was stolen, it's insured. I'd be more upset about the pictures on the cards if it was stolen at the end of a trip than the cameras and lenses.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thief that cut the back fence at night to enter the storage I'm at looked to have just used a flat blade screwdriver to break into ~15 RVs.
    Windows were the entry point on rigs.
    Shattered glass and open bedroom slides were telltales. The thief seemed very familiar with RVs.
    I can see the screwdriver marks left on my two windows(rear one shattered) and passthru door with a broken plastic hinge pin.
    One item taken from mine, a folding step stool, bedroom drawers were opened to look for small valuables I guess.
    The thief was caught at another storage lot a few miles away.
    Sheriff said no evidence found that links thief to our storage lot, just video recorded.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Other than mounted tv's, factory stereos, coffee makers, and assorted camping gear... would have assumed was probably what most of these dumbnuts really heist out of stored trailers. And maybe now with the COVID market and maintenance rush, there could be more "interest" for other items. Kind of like the airbag situation a few years ago.

We've always thought its never the items taken that mattered or amount to much. Its the damage done to the trailer that makes it so bad. And yea, the first ones hit are always the most unprepared and usually become the catalyst for catching the next turd trying to do it. Another good reason to try to capture video of an event and not rely on facilities to do so. In most cases they are only worried about "their" facility or equipment being damaged. Especially in a market rich with potential renters.
    Last edited by trailrydr; 11-24-2021 at 08:06 AM.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stored RVs get hit pretty commonly (more than you'd want to think). Yes the trash of the Earth go for appliances, but they also tear into walls and cabinets looking for copper wires, motors/pumps, fittings, circuit boards, etc. Those a**holes are the ones that cause real damage. Seen quite a few totalled out RVs due to break-ins. It's a sad situation.

Full Timing Family
    2021 Momentum 395MS-R
    2021 Ford F450 King Ranch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by banshee View Post
    Hello all. I recently picked up a 22 Solitude 390 RK-R. For over 20 years, my family has been in a seasonal site where I am fairly comfortable, and feel relatively secure (I know that things can happen anywhere), but now I am facing new challenges as I expand my RVing.

I have the opportunity to do work out of state, and would be staying in my camper at an RV park for about 6 weeks. It's just going to be me and the dog, so I am looking to do whatever I can to keep my valuables safe (traveling for work, I will have critical inventory with me, both in the actual coach and in the storage areas) and to sleep better at night.

I absolutely hate knowing that pretty much everyone has the same key to my door when I'm camping alone. I've read some threads on here about upgrading locks and getting everything on a single key. I thought it was a great tip to make sure to put a lock on the propane doors too...

Other than cameras (feel free to chime in on those, the place I'm going to will have wifi, but I'm unsure of the quality), what else can I do? I'm not so tech savvy... Should I make sure that I have devices with hotspots that I can tether off of? How exactly does this work?

I plan to travel with my dog, and while he can come to the office with me each day, there will be certain places (very limited) he can't go (like the grocery store). I would be heartbroken if someone stole him, or if there was an emergency and nobody could get inside to help him (with my fancy new locks). What is the best approach? Just putting up a sign that tells emergency responders that there is a dog inside?

RVLocks are on sale this weekend. 40% off

https://www.rvlock.com/?utm_source=R...EVvg%3D.Vfd6ik
    2018 2500RL
    2017 Silverado Z71 4x4 Crew Cab

Be Unique Like Everyone Else

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may like to check the Arlo Go Pro camera. All you need is a phone tower signal and a dedicated line to use it. Can purchased at the verizon store and other carriers.
    2015 Ram Tradesman 3500 DRW puck-B&W
    2015 Reflection 29RS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbkims View Post
    One item taken from mine, a folding step stool
    Wow...a potentially life altering action....to nick a stool?!?
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never had to worry about security in Canada. Now retired we plan on travelling (post covid) to the USA. Campgrounds and boondocking. For 2022 I will replace locks (with common key) and install of small safe under bed area. They will need a chainsaw to cut it out. The idea of security camera is a good one will look into it...any suggestions. For personal security I have a couple of canisters of bear spray. Hopefully, we will never be in that position. Also have a decent RV lock.
    Pierre & Tara

2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2020 GMC Sierra SLE 1500
    1200/12000 Equalizer Hitch

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234