User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dexter Nev-R-Adjust Electric Trailer Brake

Does anyone know if Dexter Nev-R-Adjust Electric Trailer Brake is truly a never adjusting? Is it worth the extra price? Have you ever had a need to adjust them?
    2020 Reflection 337RLS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had mine apart, and if they're operating properly, yes, they are self-adjusting. But, and there's always a but, they can get gummed up from a leaking grease seal, parts can break, etc.

Are they worth it? IMO absolutely, especially if you put a fair amount of miles on your trailer.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had our rig 3 seasons now. Never had to adjust them. When repacking the wheel bearings I spray everything down with brake cleaner. Makes sure there is no grease or anything.
    Last edited by SGT ROC; 11-14-2021 at 07:41 AM. Reason: spelling
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Papahoosh View Post
    Does anyone know if Dexter Nev-R-Adjust Electric Trailer Brake is truly a never adjusting? Is it worth the extra price? Have you ever had a need to adjust them?
    Yes I think they are worth it for drum brakes. If adjusted properly to begin with they are self adjusting, but should be inspected each year. A year ago we did have our right front go bad and chewed the brake shoes up and damaged the brake drum. Replaced the complete brake assembly as one assembled part and replaced the brake drum and bearings.

Replacing the whole brake assembly as one part is much easier, just splice the brake wires. Just make sure the new brake assembly you order is self adjusting. I had one online site try to sell me on a non self adjusting assembly as the same part as self adjusting.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Papahoosh View Post
    I thnk they are worth it and have had mine for 3 years now and have not had to adjust. Unlike my previous trailer which didn't have them and had to adjust at least once a year. Good thing to have as far as I am concerned.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have self adjusters, and glad I don't. I am an old time brake mechanic from the 1970's when self adjusting drum brakes were the norm. I have seen far too many problems with the self adjusters. I have no problem adjusting my brakes wherever I am, as I carry my trusty brake spoon, and I know they are adjusted correctly. When I went to buy it at O'Reilly's, they didn't know what I was asking for! I suddenly felt old, but I was able to find it on the shelf myself. Looking back, I was surprised they had one in stock.
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our solitude never stop very well. When I put the disc brake on I found out way. Three of the four brakes had no ware on them. So much for self adjusting.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After a year, I pulled the drums off to inspect & pack the bearings. They were shot-I'm pretty sure from the delivery guy using trailer brakes exclusively bringing it to Ca.
    I ordered four new Dexter self adjusting brake assemblies from Etrailer. After the initial adjustment, they worked better than ever-& haven't had to readjust. Beware that Etrailer have Dexter & a house brand of self adjusting brakes. The house brand is cheaper, but they are self adjusting for only so long, then need adjusting.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those that have Dexter 4400# axles found on many Reflection fifth wheels, Imagine & Reflection travel trailers be aware that the Never-a just brakes found on your trailers are unobtainium. The 4400# axle has been discontinued and parts stock is depleted. See my post in Axles, brakes, etc forum .
    When asking Dexter customer support for confirmation of part numbers I was advised to upgrade to 5200# axles.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZMike View Post
    ...... I have no problem adjusting my brakes wherever I am, as I carry my trusty brake spoon, and I know they are adjusted correctly. When I went to buy it at O'Reilly's, they didn't know what I was asking for! I suddenly felt old, but I was able to find it on the shelf myself. Looking back, I was surprised they had one in stock.
    Yea, I guess I'm old and cheap... I've always just used a flat head screw driver. Todays parts guys at least still know what those are.... Besides, none of this will matter once I do my disc brake conversion!
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)