User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Calbar

Rob there is really no reason to run antifreeze through or blow out the black tank flush line. That line runs high up behind the shower and has a check valve up top. There is no check valve located at the connection point of the flush line like there is on the city water connection, that's why when you disconnect the black water flush line you get a fair amount of water running out of it.
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fully draining the system or leaving all taps closed won't keep the pump from priming. The air in the lines will compress leaving tons of room for the AF. But I do use the nautilus faucet as someone mentioned - if it doesn't pull AF immediately I'll crack it open. My pump takes some time to get suction going after fully draining. I guess it has trouble getting the air moving to create the suction in the first place.
    Air leaking on the suction side will do it too - make sure you have good hose and connections. I've made that mistake before!
    Colin & Kathy
    2021 Reflection 320MKS -- 2020 Chevy Silverado 2500 SRW Duramax

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MechWolf View Post
    Fully draining the system or leaving all taps closed won't keep the pump from priming. The air in the lines will compress leaving tons of room for the AF. But I do use the nautilus faucet as someone mentioned - if it doesn't pull AF immediately I'll crack it open. My pump takes some time to get suction going after fully draining. I guess it has trouble getting the air moving to create the suction in the first place.
    Air leaking on the suction side will do it too - make sure you have good hose and connections. I've made that mistake before!

Very true, that fresh water connection point on the Nautilus system can be a bugger to get tightened. Something else I noticed was that the first time I was winterizing I was using a short scrap piece of 3/4" garden hose and I had problems. Next time, on advice from a friend, I made up a hose with a 3' section of 1/2" clear tubing and have never had a problem since. Maybe in this case SIZE does matter, lol!
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IBEW Sparky View Post
    @Calbar

Rob there is really no reason to run antifreeze through or blow out the black tank flush line. That line runs high up behind the shower and has a check valve up top. There is no check valve located at the connection point of the flush line like there is on the city water connection, that's why when you disconnect the black water flush line you get a fair amount of water running out of it.
    @IBEW Sparky even with the check valve up high behind the shower I still prefer to blow out the line. Each time I blow out the line for the first few seconds I can hear water spaying inside the tank and then some sputtering before just air. I agree in a perfect world there should not be any water in there because of the check valve but I do know mine is not perfect and still has water in it. I have the compressor out anyway and for the extra minute I might avoid several hours of frozen pipe damage to repair come spring.

Thanks,
    Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had a similar issue when trying to get water from cans into the fresh water tank while dry camping. This fall the pressure switch on my pump failed so while replacing the pump I noticed that the inlet hose to the pump was completely collapsed. There was another hose behind the Nautilus collapsed also (I forget which one that was). Once I replaced that hose the pump seemed to prime and pump much better. Many of the hoses (pipes) are pex, but there are a few flexible ones in there.

I also think the check valve at the inlet gives a good bit of resistance also. I hold it open with a small piece of plastic when trying to syphon with the pump.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really?? Because you never actually get ALL of the water out of the lines even after blowing it out with an air compressor. This is evident by the fact that each faucet will still spew out a little water when first opened during the winterizing process. Not sure if you're located in a climate that requires winterizing your RV but for those of us that are antifreeze is a must... unless you want to be doing annual Spring water line repairs.
    I’m not too far from you actually. I have always used AF in the past. My cousin-in law winterized several trailers for family the day we pulled ours home. He said he just blows all lines and outs AF in the traps. I was curious what others thought about this, and further if they do the same. Thx
    2010 Passport Express - Sold
    2020 Imagine 2600RB
    2013 Chevrolet Silverado 1500

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Imagine2600rb View Post
    I’m not too far from you actually. I have always used AF in the past. My cousin-in law winterized several trailers for family the day we pulled ours home. He said he just blows all lines and outs AF in the traps. I was curious what others thought about this, and further if they do the same. Thx

Anyone in a zone that experiences freezing temps for days or weeks is taking a big chance by not using the antifreeze. It doesn't take much water left behind in the cartridge of a sink or shower faucet for it to freeze and crack. I'm not saying there aren't those that get lucky but for less than $6 worth of antifreeze I'm certainly not going to chance it.
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Imagine2600rb View Post
    Blowing out does not necessarily get all the water out which can cause spring plumbing nightmares. Here in Canada where it is below 0C (32F) from mid Dec to end of March or later just blowing out the lines is a recipe for spring work. I blow mine out and then use AF. There is still some more water in there but use less antifreeze.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbar View Post
    Blowing out does not necessarily get all the water out which can cause spring plumbing nightmares. Here in Canada where it is below 0C (32F) from mid Dec to end of March or later just blowing out the lines is a recipe for spring work. I blow mine out and then use AF. There is still some more water in there but use less antifreeze.

Rob
    I've gone over 25 years of just blowing out the lines. No issues yet....and I live a lot further north than you 'southerners'..lol. Hard plastic elbows are about your only real worry. After you blow out the lines some water may pool in the low 'sags' of the pex but fittings are not at low points and you can freeze a length of pex with water in it with no ill effects.
    That being said, AF is safer.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really?? Because you never actually get ALL of the water out of the lines even after blowing it out with an air compressor. This is evident by the fact that each faucet will still spew out a little water when first opened during the winterizing process. Not sure if you're located in a climate that requires winterizing your RV but for those of us that are antifreeze is a must... unless you want to be doing annual Spring water line repairs.
    You are correct, better safe than sorry!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast