Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Missed Step in Winterizing Process

Need your advice:

I have a Nautilus system. I “followed” both the winterizing instructions in my owner’s manual as well as many of the YouTube videos. All went as instructed until it came time to put the antifreeze into the water system. I had a dickens of a time getting the pump to begin to draw in the antifreeze. It seemed the pump would not prime, regardless of where I put the antifreeze container. I was finally able to get it to start to draw antifreeze into system by turning the bathroom sink faucet on and off repeatedly.

While the stream of antifreeze was not strong, I was able to have each faucet, the toilet, the outside faucets and the the washing machine all show signs of having the antifreeze drawn through them. But the lack of strong flows of the antifreeze has been bothering me for a couple days now. Literally, in the middle of the night last night, it came to my attention that I did not close the hot water pressure relief valve as the manual instructed.

My question: could having his valve open while trying to draw in the antifreeze been the cause of not being able to draw in a strong stream of antifreeze? In the winterize positions, the water heater is bypassed, so I don’t think so. But wanted to hear from you all to determine whether I should redo the steps for putting the antifreeze into the water lines today before the really solid freeze happens tonight in SE WI?

As always, thank you all for your counsel.

John
    John & Mary
    2019 Solitude 375RES
    2016 RAM 3500 Longhorn Limited - Mega Cab; 6.7L Cummins; SB; DRW; 4X4; Aisin; 4.10
    Curt A20 Slider

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems unlikely, as you say the water heater is "out of the loop" when winterizing.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The red valve on te Nautilus bypasses the water heater. As long as that was placed in the correct position, it shouldn't have caused any issue. The important part is to make sure antifreeze comes out of all faucets, which it sounds like it did.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was the pump able to bring the pressure up to a point where it stopped?

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where was your antifreeze jug located when siphoning. In previous threads many have reported needing to have the jug in the plastic tray usually found by the Nautilus or even on the storage compartment floor beside it, i order for it to prime properly.
    2016 Chevy Silverado LT Duramax
    2022 Reflection 295RL, after owning 2 Rockwood 8289's

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last year, I ended up using a small flexible funnel to quasi-prime the pump. Pour some AF in the funnel, put the bottle in the nautilus tray, hook the syphon hose up, and hit the pump switch. It worked much better than the year before without priming the pump. We don't dry camp and rarely use the pump during the year, so I wasn't surprised it was a bit dry.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBadger View Post
    Need your advice:

I have a Nautilus system. I “followed” both the winterizing instructions in my owner’s manual as well as many of the YouTube videos. All went as instructed until it came time to put the antifreeze into the water system. I had a dickens of a time getting the pump to begin to draw in the antifreeze. It seemed the pump would not prime, regardless of where I put the antifreeze container. I was finally able to get it to start to draw antifreeze into system by turning the bathroom sink faucet on and off repeatedly.

While the stream of antifreeze was not strong, I was able to have each faucet, the toilet, the outside faucets and the the washing machine all show signs of having the antifreeze drawn through them. But the lack of strong flows of the antifreeze has been bothering me for a couple days now. Literally, in the middle of the night last night, it came to my attention that I did not close the hot water pressure relief valve as the manual instructed.

My question: could having his valve open while trying to draw in the antifreeze been the cause of not being able to draw in a strong stream of antifreeze? In the winterize positions, the water heater is bypassed, so I don’t think so. But wanted to hear from you all to determine whether I should redo the steps for putting the antifreeze into the water lines today before the really solid freeze happens tonight in SE WI?

John
    Sounds like you did fine. The other thing that many have found is the check valve behind the washer with a cone shaped screen (where you connect the fresh water hose) doesn't open fully during the siphon process. Reversing the washer to push the valve open usually doe the job. Reverse back when done.
    Rich
    Rich And Janet (no dog or cats, 8 grandkids but not with us all at once)
    Onalaska, WA
    2011 F350, 4X4, B&W hitch
    2016 Solitude 300GK

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBadger View Post
    Need your advice:

John
    John,

Here is what I know and the issues that I have had.

I too have had trouble with the pump not priming and have found that if I turn on the cold water tap with the blue coil hose attached to the outside tap at the Nautilus the pump will prime all the time. It has trouble priming if there is pressure in the plumbing which it can't overcome and try to draw in antifreeze. So I would not worry about this.

The weak flow of antifreeze is likely due to you have the pressure relief valve open. I believe with this open the pump would have likely pumped antifreeze into the water heater tank too since there is no back pressure from the tank to prevent reverse flow from the fixtures even with the check valve.

If you had antifreeze at each faucet then you will be good and I would not worry about it but if you need peace of mind then another couple of jugs on antifreeze is cheap insurance for that.

I also want to make sure that you winterized your black tank flush line or at least blew it out with 30 PSI from a compressor.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbar View Post
    John,

Here is what I know and the issues that I have had.

I too have had trouble with the pump not priming and have found that if I turn on the cold water tap with the blue coil hose attached to the outside tap at the Nautilus the pump will prime all the time. It has trouble priming if there is pressure in the plumbing which it can't overcome and try to draw in antifreeze. So I would not worry about this.

The weak flow of antifreeze is likely due to you have the pressure relief valve open. I believe with this open the pump would have likely pumped antifreeze into the water heater tank too since there is no back pressure from the tank to prevent reverse flow from the fixtures even with the check valve.

If you had antifreeze at each faucet then you will be good and I would not worry about it but if you need peace of mind then another couple of jugs on antifreeze is cheap insurance for that.

I also want to make sure that you winterized your black tank flush line or at least blew it out with 30 PSI from a compressor.

Rob
    If the Red knob was in the correct position, the water heater was Bypassed and would NOT have affected the water pressure issue. I've winterized my trailer every year that I've owned it (2019) with the Anode rod removed completely from the water heater AND the high pressure relief valve opened and never once did I have pressure issues because of it. Again, it is simply not in the water flow circuit when it is bypassed.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    If the Red knob was in the correct position, the water heater was Bypassed and would NOT have affected the water pressure issue. I've winterized my trailer every year that I've owned it (2019) with the Anode rod removed completely from the water heater AND the high pressure relief valve opened and never once did I have pressure issues because of it. Again, it is simply not in the water flow circuit when it is bypassed.
    I stand corrected then. I guess the check valve prevents antifreeze in one direction and the red valve in the other direction. Thanks for the clarification.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast