User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of our Westlake load range "E" tires blew on our Solitude and it was a $1750 insurance claim...
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoppyz06 View Post
    After a blown tire and damage to the rig, I received the necessary parts from GD and made the repairs myself (with help from my brother-in-law).

I ordered an extra panel just in case it happens again, which may be needed since I just put brand new Sailun G637’s on and of course they were manufactured in Vietnam.

It was an easy job to do and only took a couple of hours.

Here are a couple of before and after pic’s.

Damaged sheet metal.

Attachment 37686

New sheet metal.

Attachment 37687

Fender cutout and skirt installed.

Attachment 37688
    I was wondering what brand tire did you have the blowout with? I heard about Westlake tire bombs and decided to change my Westlake to Saluns, eventhough I only had about 2k on original tires.
    Alan and Paula
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS, 2004 Dodge 3500 5.9L
    Magnum 2k watt inverter-charger, 300 AH Battle Born battery bank, 560 watt solar power. 6K axles and disc brakes. Pepwave max transit cellular router.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deerislandbrew View Post
    I was wondering what brand tire did you have the blowout with? I heard about Westlake tire bombs and decided to change my Westlake to Saluns, eventhough I only had about 2k on original tires.
    Hi Alan,

I had the original Westlakes (G-rated) with approximately 12k miles on them. The sad part… I was going to replace them right after the trip we were returning from.

Maybe I have bad luck because I replaced them with Sailuns made in Vietnam. Some people are reporting failures with less than 4K miles or so. I guess time will tell… I always check pressure, run a TPMS which doesn’t help with tire separation and fill to the air pressure according to the manufacturer.

I hope that helps!

Glenn.
    2020 GMC Denali 3500HD
    2018 Grand Design Solitude 310-GK
    TST - TPMS
    B&W Companion 20k hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looks like a good repair. I was hoping you could share the paint codes/part numbers for the touch up paint
    Thanks
    Bob & Patty
    2019 3i0gk
    2014 F350 crew cab sb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoppyz06 View Post
    After a blown tire and damage to the rig, I received the necessary parts from GD and made the repairs myself (with help from my brother-in-law).

I ordered an extra panel just in case it happens again, which may be needed since I just put brand new Sailun G637’s on and of course they were manufactured in Vietnam.

It was an easy job to do and only took a couple of hours.

Here are a couple of before and after pic’s.

Damaged sheet metal.

Attachment 37686

New sheet metal.

Attachment 37687

Fender cutout and skirt installed.

Attachment 37688
    Sorry about your misfortune, but glad everything worked out for you. Looks as good as new! Were you using a TPMS when the tire blew? Of all the 'toys" I've purchased for my 376THS, my TST TPMS is by far the best! I hope the TPMS will give me some warning before something like this happens. I know it's given me peace of mind as we travel.
    -Mike
    2022 376THS-R w/B&W Companion 25K puck hitch
    MORryde 3 axle 7K IS w/disk brakes
    2021 GMC 3500 Denali DRW
    2014 HD CVO Limited

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uphillbob View Post
    looks like a good repair. I was hoping you could share the paint codes/part numbers for the touch up paint
    Thanks
    Bob & Patty
    2019 3i0gk
    2014 F350 crew cab sb

Being that they are different year units the paint codes might be slightly different... If you call GD Customer Service and give them your serial number they can tell you and sell you exactly what you need. I've found them great to deal with and rate their factory customer service in Indiana with an A+.... can't say the same thing for the dealership service.
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IBEW Sparky View Post
    Being that they are different year units the paint codes might be slightly different... If you call GD Customer Service and give them your serial number they can tell you and sell you exactly what you need. I've found them great to deal with and rate their factory customer service in Indiana with an A+.... can't say the same thing for the dealership service.
    Yes, you are correct about the colors. The dealership looked up my VIN and was able to pull the paint codes/part numbers. I dug up the invoice but it only had the description and no part numbers… I mean, it is 2021 right?

Anyway, I’ve attached a picture of the paint containers in case anyone needs it. The product code is on each one.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AAD3F500-356D-4A6F-AFA9-80A7610F547F.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	37926
    2020 GMC Denali 3500HD
    TST - TPMS
    B&W Companion 20k hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sauced Hog View Post
    Sorry about your misfortune, but glad everything worked out for you. Looks as good as new! Were you using a TPMS when the tire blew? Of all the 'toys" I've purchased for my 376THS, my TST TPMS is by far the best! I hope the TPMS will give me some warning before something like this happens. I know it's given me peace of mind as we travel.
    -Mike
    Hi Mike,

Yes, I was using the TST system. In fact, I had just upgraded to their latest model. The sad part is, the tire failure was catastrophic… basically the tread separated from the tire. I had the same thing happen twice on our old Heartland 5’er with the Blowmaxx tires. Those should be illegal!

Anyway, I hope this doesn’t happen to anyone else but these Asian tires are “iffy” to say the least. I’m notoriously anal when it comes to proper tire maintenance but sh*t happens.
    2020 GMC Denali 3500HD
    TST - TPMS
    B&W Companion 20k hitch

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12