User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just another idea..... I have a Yamaha 2000 inverter generator. It's only a tiny bit noisier, than the equvilent Honda but also cheaper. It has a 30amp socket and the ability to "twin" with another Yamaha if needed.
    Together with a Soft Start installed on the AC it should have no problem running AC.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    Hi Ray,

I took a look at the Champion 2500 Watt Generators. They all (only) have a pair of 15/20 amp plugs, which means that you won't be getting any more energy out of the Generator than you would be getting using a heavy duty extension cord from your home.

There is the possibility of adding the parallel kit which will give you a 30 amp connection, however, I don't know if it works with a single generator, you could call Champion to find out.

What are you hoping to run from your Generator?

By-the-way, I am not dismissing Champion Generators, I have a 3500 Watt, Dual Fuel, that I love because I can run it on Propane and I don't have to deal with cans of gas needing storage.
    Hey Dave, I've looked for smaller (2000-2500) inverter/generators with a dedicated 30amp socket and unless you go 100lb gens, I can't find any.
    Msgt Ray (Ret) and Margie Parker
    2022 GD 303RLS w/Gen-Y gooseneck
    2020 Ram 2500 HD Cummins 6.7/3.73 gears

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgpracer View Post
    Hey Dave, I've looked for smaller (2000-2500) inverter/generators with a dedicated 30amp socket and unless you go 100lb gens, I can't find any.
    Have you checked to see if the Parallel kit with the 30 amp connector will work with only one Generator? That seems like a good solution if the kit works with a single Generator.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Dave, thanks for the input, I've looked hard at the Champion 2500 inverter/generator but it doesnt have 30 amp plug, which, i can buy an adapter at the price difference between lets say.....the Honda EU2200i ($1200.00) and the Champion 2500 for $700.
    Walmart has a sale on the Champion Dual Fuel 2500 for $521. Ordered mine 11/12 free shipping and is arriving today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kent
    2017 Reflection 307MKS
    2019 F250 6.7 SB 4x4 B&W Companion slider
    GD 307MKS Dec. 2020, Jayco X17Z Hybrid 6 years, Jayco 308 Pop-up 18 years

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going to be buying my gen soon, and wanting to know.....I'm not wanting to drag out my 50 amp main cable and adapt down to go into my 30 amp gen outlet, so, can I go to lowes and buy a 50 amp locking female connector end that will go into the camper, run a 12/3 (or whatever you guys advise) to a Male connector that will plug into the gen??

I mainly want to know, if I can do this.....what wire do I need and is there a "fairly" flexible 12/3, or whatever, that I can use?

Is these a feasible thing to make and use for generators?

Thanks
    Like others have said the size of the generator output in amps will determine the size of the cord needed. I only carry a Honda 2000 with a 20 amp output so I purchased this 50 amp twist-loc replacement end from Amazon and made up my own 25' cord. I can keep my batteries charged and run my smaller AC unit when boondocking.

Kohree 50 AMP RV Power Cord Cover Twist Lock With Boot Inlet Locking Plug Protector Locking Shore Connector Replacement, 50A 125/250VAC https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VBY4GPC...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Don't get the cheaper one Amazon sells ($2 less) because it doesn't have the rubber boot and most importantly the locking ring to keep the plug in place. Also remember whenever you assemble your own 50 amp 240 volt cord and you are reducing down to a 20 or 30 amp 120 volt cord that you must install a jumper in the 50 amp plug tying both hot legs together when you're wiring it. This will feed both sides of your RV electrical panel just like a dog bone adapter does.
    Last edited by IBEW Sparky; 11-21-2021 at 08:50 AM.
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IBEW Sparky View Post
    Like others have said the size of the generator output in amps will determine the size of the cord needed. I only carry a Honda 2000 with a 20 amp output so I purchased this 50 amp twist-loc replacement end from Amazon and made up my own 25' cord. I can keep my batteries charged and run my smaller AC unit when boondocking.

Kohree 50 AMP RV Power Cord Cover Twist Lock With Boot Inlet Locking Plug Protector Locking Shore Connector Replacement, 50A 125/250VAC https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VBY4GPC...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Don't get the cheaper one Amazon sells ($2 less) because it doesn't have the rubber boot and most importantly the locking ring to keep the plug in place. Also remember whenever you assemble your own 50 amp 240 volt cord and you are reducing down to a 20 or 30 amp 120 volt cord that you must install a jumper in the 50 amp plug tying both hot legs together when you're wiring it. This will feed both sides of your RV electrical panel just like a dog bone adapter does.
    Thanks Bill, great advice.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW I have a Genrac Elec start iq3500W gen. It's super quiet. Almost as quiet as a Honda 3000W. Running the 13,500 AC it doesn't even break a sweat. I have a DB app on my phone and it shows 62 DB at 30' running the AC.
    I know it's bigger than you'd like but I also have a Honda 2000W and the Honda has to rev up quite a bit when just the converter is charging the batteries. With the coffee pot on it's revved out pretty good.
    Even two 2000W gens in parallel will rev out a lot.
    I wanted a gen that would be pretty quiet as we camp in some FS campgrounds where other campers are near us. Not real close but close enough that I don't want to be that guy if you know what I mean.
    I chose the elec start so I could leave it in the bed of my truck and be able to just reach over the bedside and hit the start button.
    Last edited by goducks14; 11-21-2021 at 10:03 AM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    FWIW I have a Genrac Elec start iq3500W gen. It's super quiet. Almost as quiet as a Honda 3000W. Running the 13,500 AC it doesn't even break a sweat. I have a DB app on my phone and it shows 62 DB at 30' running the AC.
    I know it's bigger than you'd like and I also have a Honda 2000W and the Honda has to rev up quite a bit when just the converter is charging the batteries. With the coffee pot on it's revved out pretty good.
    Even two 2000W gens in parallel will rev out a lot.
    I chose the elec start so I could leave it in the bed of my truck and be able to just reach over the bedside and hit the start button.
    Hmmmmm Generac iq3500.....had not considered.....will look.
    Thanks ducks

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cummins/Onan portable generator

Hey Dave, thanks for the input, I've looked hard at the Champion 2500 inverter/generator but it doesnt have 30 amp plug, which, i can buy an adapter at the price difference between lets say.....the Honda EU2200i ($1200.00) and the Champion 2500 for $700.
    I've looked at other generators, but other that Honda's, can't find decent one with direst 30amp plug in....Mighty cord looks great.
    Thanks and would love more of your input.
    Ray
    Check out this new model by Cummins/Onan that just came out. It has direct 30 amp plug. New cost around $1400...also really quiet and you cannot go wrong with Onan (owned by Cummins Engine Co).
    John Carney
    The Villages, FL
    2017 Toyota Tundra
    2019 Imagine 2600RB

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnac View Post
    Check out this new model by Cummins/Onan that just came out. It has direct 30 amp plug. New cost around $1400...also really quiet and you cannot go wrong with Onan (owned by Cummins Engine Co).
    You tease me John.....what me gen?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast