User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Generator power cord

Going to be buying my gen soon, and wanting to know.....I'm not wanting to drag out my 50 amp main cable and adapt down to go into my 30 amp gen outlet, so, can I go to lowes and buy a 50 amp locking female connector end that will go into the camper, run a 12/3 (or whatever you guys advise) to a Male connector that will plug into the gen??

I mainly want to know, if I can do this.....what wire do I need and is there a "fairly" flexible 12/3, or whatever, that I can use?

Is these a feasible thing to make and use for generators?

Thanks
    Msgt Ray (Ret) and Margie Parker
    2022 GD 303RLS w/Gen-Y gooseneck
    2020 Ram 2500 HD Cummins 6.7/3.73 gears

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgpracer View Post
    Going to be buying my gen soon, and wanting to know.....I'm not wanting to drag out my 50 amp main cable and adapt down to go into my 30 amp gen outlet, so, can I go to lowes and buy a 50 amp locking female connector end that will go into the camper, run a 12/3 (or whatever you guys advise) to a Male connector that will plug into the gen??

I mainly want to know, if I can do this.....what wire do I need and is there a "fairly" flexible 12/3, or whatever, that I can use?

Thanks
    Should be doable.
    Size the wire according the the Gen. output, and length you want.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks
    Here is what I use as I have only used my 50 amp cord once. I now store the 50 amp in the garage as it is so heavy and stiff.

I only carry a Camco 25 foot, 30 amp cord (wound up in a circle next to my generator) and the 2 different Camco plug adaptors. One is the 50 amp camper plug to 30 amp and the other is 30 amp to 30 amp round locking plug.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	30 amp Cord.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	37696

Name:	Plugs.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	37697
    2019 2800bh
    2018 Silverado 1500

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Unlimitedmatt View Post
    Here is what I use as I have only used my 50 amp cord once. I now store the 50 amp in the garage as it is so heavy and stiff.

I only carry a Camco 25 foot, 30 amp cord (wound up in a circle next to my generator) and the 2 different Camco plug adaptors. One is the 50 amp camper plug to 30 amp and the other is 30 amp to 30 amp round locking plug.

Name:	30 amp Cord.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	37696

Name:	Plugs.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	37697
    THAT is awesime Matt.....just what I need.
    Thanks

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks
    First off, I would buy an Inverter Generator with a 30 amp RV (TT-30) outlet. Then you can get a 30 amp to 50 amp cord that plugs directly into your camper.

Here is an example: https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Plug-Ada...0-3050EHD.html

PS: there is a version with the standard twist-lock generator plug if you get a generator with that type of outlet.
    Last edited by SolarPoweredRV; 11-15-2021 at 09:58 AM.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    First off, I would buy an Inverter Generator with a 30 amp RV (TT-30) outlet. Then you can get a 30 amp to 50 amp cord that plugs directly into your camper.

Here is an example: https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Plug-Ada...0-3050EHD.html

PS: there is a version with the standard twist-lock generator plug if you get a generator with that type of outlet.
    Hey Dave, thanks for the input, I've looked hard at the Champion 2500 inverter/generator but it doesnt have 30 amp plug, which, i can buy an adapter at the price difference between lets say.....the Honda EU2200i ($1200.00) and the Champion 2500 for $700.
    I've looked at other generators, but other that Honda's, can't find decent one with direst 30amp plug in....Mighty cord looks great.
    Thanks and would love more of your input.
    Ray

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a Honeywell IGEN4500DF at our vacation house to run the RV when power is out. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Westingh...00DF/314515883 It has a 30 amp RV receptacle. It can run on gas or propane. It cost us about $950 with veteran discount when we bought it at Lowe’s.

When traveling we have a pair of Honda 2000’s that can be connected with umbilical cord to output the RV 30 amp outlet on the one. We actually use one of them often when power goes out for 1/2 day at the cabin. We use it to power refrigerator, TV, DSL Modem, and a 5000 btu window unit using extension cords. I converted one to dual fuel so we use propane. It’s easy to carry out and start up.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Generac 3000i inverter generator. It runs my A/C fine and it has a 30 amp outlet.
    Weighing 62 lbs it is still manageable.
    For a cord I had an old boat 30 amp with one end that was toast. I just bought the end I needed on Amazon and made the length about 6 feet which is plenty long without being bulky.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Dave, thanks for the input, I've looked hard at the Champion 2500 inverter/generator but it doesnt have 30 amp plug, which, i can buy an adapter at the price difference between lets say.....the Honda EU2200i ($1200.00) and the Champion 2500 for $700.
    I've looked at other generators, but other that Honda's, can't find decent one with direst 30amp plug in....Mighty cord looks great.
    Thanks and would love more of your input.
    Ray
    Hi Ray,

I took a look at the Champion 2500 Watt Generators. They all (only) have a pair of 15/20 amp plugs, which means that you won't be getting any more energy out of the Generator than you would be getting using a heavy duty extension cord from your home.

There is the possibility of adding the parallel kit which will give you a 30 amp connection, however, I don't know if it works with a single generator, you could call Champion to find out.

What are you hoping to run from your Generator?

By-the-way, I am not dismissing Champion Generators, I have a 3500 Watt, Dual Fuel, that I love because I can run it on Propane and I don't have to deal with cans of gas needing storage.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed an easy start on ac use 10gage extension cord on 15amp and run 2250 watt inverter generator. Small lite weight. Just fuel for thought

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast