Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

27RL AC & Tail light Questions

Just joined and spent last three hours reading all the great threads. 99% sure we are buying a 27RL. Question to anyone that might know; want second AC installed in bedrooom. Will be done at the dealers. Should I specify a low profile AC unit ? Concerned about overall height and certainly don't want AC ripped off going under a bridge. Also are the taillights/brake light fixtures LED ? Was on my list today when at dealers but completly forgot to look. Thanks everyone.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RE: Bedroom AC
    From what I have read about others' experience, if you want a quiet bedroom unit, go with the Atwood and it is NOT a low profile.
    The low profile unit is a Dometic and is more noisy, even when ducted. But many people say they can turn it off at night and just depend on the ducted AC from the main cabin.
    The difference in height is 4 to 6 inches, I believe.

Welcome to the forum! We are very happy with ours.

K
    Ken & Wilma
    Central Maryland
    2014 Reflection 337RLS #439
    2011 F250 CC 4x4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    re: ac height should not be a problem on normal roads, my 27 rl is 12'1" well below ( normal ) bridges. The rear lights are not led.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Minnow101, the 27RL rear air conditioner is roof vented to the bed room and as such seems to get about the right amount of cooling onto the bed area. I think if you install another air conditioner above the bed you will freeze yourself out (unless you are vacationing in Death Valley).
    The only drawback I have found with the 27RL is only one side window in the bedroom so the only cross ventilation is from the right side window and the top vent.
    That being said, if possible attempt to find someone with a 27 or 29 and an installed A/C in the bedroom to see how functional it is.
    Our 27RL (2016 model) has led lights inside and out. I couldn't find a conventional bulb anywhere on the unit.
    Mike
    Mike and Margarete
    2016 27RL
    2020 Dodge 2500 Diesel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The concern for the bedroom AC is based on our current fiver which is a little shorter but the AC is located towards the front of the trailer, much closer than the 27RL which is to rearmost. Our bedroom is kept just minimally cool even with the duct run being much, much shorter.
    The 2015 we looked at yesterday does not have LED's but the old style incandescents. I had just upgraded our current fiver a few months ago so I suppose I can remove the bulbs and reinstall the old ones.
    We have been looking hard over the past year and since this is is hopefully our last one we are being maybe overally picky(?). Thought many times of ordering exactly what we want but ordering exactly what you want and then getting exactly what you ordered are not neccesarily the same thing. We've seen time and again two identically optioned units that have different chair/sofa combo's, sofa's that look identical that are jack knife or air bed or perhaps tri-fold. That's a big one for us as we sometime have the kids (grown) come with us. Air beds leak air, jack knife way too small. We've seen identical units that have a double sink or single sink some have a sink cover while others do not. Even seen two "identically optioned" same model year fivers that had completly different style cabinents and wardrobes. These running mid year changes can bite you. So concluded that we need to see "the one" on a lot and buy that obe.
    I guess for 2016 LED's must be a new change. 2015's(at least the one we saw were not).

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've got a 303 and so far can't see any reason to add a second ac unit to it. So far the one unit has been doing good.
    Tommy

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on where you live or where you camp mostly. Being in hot, humid FL, 2nd A/C is a must. We have the bigger 337rls, we added the Atwood full profile a/c to match the original. Make sure to specify black cover to match, and as we learned the thermostat comes in white or black also. Our dealer installed white one, stood out like a sore thumb. Atwood customer service traded us a black one for it.
    We love our Reflection also, you will be very happy with Grand Design. Good luck!
    Scott and Jan Platt Ocala, FL
    Cameron(Son) & Chica(chihuahua)
    2014 Reflection 337RLS
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 4X4, Crew Cab, Dually, Diesel
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to all for your advice. We picked up the 27RL on Friday and did have the 2nd air installed. It was a dometic full height unit. Don't think the overall hieght will be an issue. Will get up on roof and get an actual measurement to be sure. Never know about back roads and low bridges. So good to know the real deal on the height.
    Went directly to a local camp ground for the shake out. Was hot!! 90 degrees. The Atwood rear living room air A/C was just adequate. Definetely glad we got the bedroom A/C. Found a couple things during the PDI which the dealer has to order parts for. One being the plastic flex wire support was already cracked where it attached to the slide-out. From reading this forum, I knew to look at this first thing. The other was a torn slide out seal on the roof on the refrigertor slide out side. Found that during my roof inspection. Also a few spots of missing Dicor sealant arond vents and the front and rear caps which they fixed right there. However the big thing that we did not find until this weekend is the Atwood Helium refrig. will not cool down below 50. The freezer drops into the 20's but the refrig. isn't doing it. Ran it both on electric and propane with similar temp's. Seems many of the Atwoods have problems from reading other's expieriences as well. Would of caught that during the PDI but they didn't plug in the refrig. until that morning so I wrote the low temp. off as not being turned on soon enough.
    Overall, most everything else seems to be fine. Our unit was built in June 2015 so did not have LED lights which must of been a mid year upgrade. I'll take care of that myself.
    Anyone care to speculate as to why of the three slides, two are the Schwintek slides and the third is a older Lippert style ?

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as the slides, the Schwintek are on the lighter, shallower slides that move straight in and out. The Lippert "old" style is for heavier, deeper flush floor slides.

The Schwintek system is lighter, but only works on slides that go straight in and out.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS