User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Magnetic Door Holder Mod

I got fed up with the front compartment door on our 5th wheel unlatching from the standard T-bar latch and hitting me on the back of my head! For some time, I have been thinking of mounting a pair of magnets to hold this door open like the side compartment doors are. I found a pair of the same style magnets GD used at a dealers parts store and took them along on a recent trip to experiment mounting them.

I knew that I would have to shim the magnets in some way because the door and the underside of the overhang at front of trailer were not parallel so I found some plastic tapered shims I had left over from a laminate flooring project and brought them along. After some experimenting, things looked promising so I removed the T-bar latch and positioned the magnets in the same area. I tried to cover the old holes but the spacing was off pretty far so I just went for it and drilled new mounting holes.

I did mount the door magnet over the metal trim around the door so the screws would have a little more bite. I also used some silicone sealer to glue the trimmed down plastic shims together and also underneath the magnets before screwing them to the trailer. The end result works great. I will probably rework the shim pack and clean up my cuts better (I forgot a hacksaw to cut the shims and had to use a Leatherman saw blade at the campsite so shim edges are pretty rough).

These are a couple of pictures of magnets mounted.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20211114_145248101.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	37725Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20211114_145527603.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	37726
    John and Karyn
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    2020 Reflection 150 Series 295RL

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodwrench View Post
    I got fed up with the front compartment door on our 5th wheel unlatching from the standard T-bar latch and hitting me on the back of my head! For some time, I have been thinking of mounting a pair of magnets to hold this door open like the side compartment doors are. I found a pair of the same style magnets GD used at a dealers parts store and took them along on a recent trip to experiment mounting them.

I knew that I would have to shim the magnets in some way because the door and the underside of the overhang at front of trailer were not parallel so I found some plastic tapered shims I had left over from a laminate flooring project and brought them along. After some experimenting, things looked promising so I removed the T-bar latch and positioned the magnets in the same area. I tried to cover the old holes but the spacing was off pretty far so I just went for it and drilled new mounting holes.

I did mount the door magnet over the metal trim around the door so the screws would have a little more bite. I also used some silicone sealer to glue the trimmed down plastic shims together and also underneath the magnets before screwing them to the trailer. The end result works great. I will probably rework the shim pack and clean up my cuts better (I forgot a hacksaw to cut the shims and had to use a Leatherman saw blade at the campsite so shim edges are pretty rough).

These are a couple of pictures of magnets mounted.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20211114_145248101.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	37725Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20211114_145527603.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	37726
    Nice job! I might have to do that on my 320MKS!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put me into the category of those not fond of the stock T-Latch. Great idea!
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put velcro on the T and the underside of the overhang. Keeps the T up and out of the way.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually