User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    Oh boy, that's not the situation at all so perhaps my misuse of the term. Appreciate the concern though. I use bucket list to annotate the things we really want to do before we die or before we can't travel any longer (whenever either of those things might be). We're actually mid-50's and I retired a couple of years ago; my wife retired a couple of months ago. We hope we have many years, but one never knows. I'll check out the mountain directory. Thanks.
    No, not misuse... just an elongated timeframe.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in northern Colorado and I've camped at a few of the state, Larimer county parks and a couple of RV campgrounds in Chaffee county. I also know a few RVers here who have camped a lot in state.
    If you have specific questions where local knowledge would help, let me know.
    Last edited by jjbbrewer; 11-16-2021 at 06:33 PM.
    signature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    We've done Colorado and I would recommend reservations - especially these days. Same for southern Utah. A very handy tool for that part of the country is the Mountain Directory, too - western version in either the PC/downloadable or printed format.

On another topic, "bucket list" usually connotes an end-of-life situation... I hope that's not the case here!

Rob
    I received my print version yesterday. It is a very nice book. The graphics are clear and the print is large enough for my old eyes. I’m glad I went with the print version.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5C8E0DE5-FF3C-4129-8565-A5862BA4DBDD.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	37796
    Diane and Mike
    2022 280RS. Onan generator, Sumo Springs, MORyde crossmembers, hardwired surge protector
    2015 F-350 DRW 4x4 6.7L Power Stroke Feed Truck. 4.10s, front & rear stabilizer bars, Andersen 3221-TBX
    2021 Thor Chateau 22E Class C (retired) & 1970 Pop-Up Camper (retired - saw much of Western Europe)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We did a 3 week trip with much of it in Colorado in October. One place we stayed that was nice near Denver wa Bear Creek Lake Park. Its a city park in Lakewood and it is right across the street from red rock amphitheatre. The spots there have a bit more space than most of the rv parks in the area and the price is pretty reasonable. I didnt realize how close to red rock it was when i booked it. If you check the schedule for red rock and see a performance that interests you it would probably be a great combo to camp there and go to the show. The venue is fantastic (unfortunately for us there was nothing of interest at the time)

Other interesting places we boondocked on that trip were sacred white mountain (close to great sand dunes np) and madden peak road (close to mesa verde np). We liked both and the respective visits to the parks. We also stayed at a harvest host in evergreen (El Rancho Brewing) and while the parking area was nothing special the beer and food were outstanding - they also had some nice perks for harvest hosters - free beer and an appetizer if i recall (with a paid dinner of course).
    2020 imagine 2500rl; 2021 F250 Tremor 7.3
    youtube: @bobanddangsjourney

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    We've done Colorado and I would recommend reservations - especially these days. Same for southern Utah. A very handy tool for that part of the country is the Mountain Directory, too - western version in either the PC/downloadable or printed format.

On another topic, "bucket list" usually connotes an end-of-life situation... I hope that's not the case here!

Rob
    Ordered the East and West Mountain Directories today. Have some friends we plan to see at the start of our journey in Northern CO. Once we nail down their availability dates we'll start setting our final itinerary and making reservations over the next few weeks. Hopefully, everything won't be booked up yet.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've traveled & camped in CO many times. I second the thoughts about reservations during the summer. But some prefer to be more "free-wheeling." Check out the national forest campgrounds. Though they generally have some reserveable sites, many are first-come-first-served. Hookups are limited, though some sites may have electric and there's generally a spigot at the campground for filling your fresh water tank. You can contact the national forest office & they can tell you about nearby sewer dumps. There are a few national forest campgrounds in the White River national forest in Summit county and water/sewer available in Frisco. We had a similar experience at Redstone. Enjoy the adventure!

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a native of C0 and have been both boondocking and plugging in around here alot. I pull a Momentum and we go for scenery while 4 wheeling. The San Juan mountains in south west Colorado are the only volcanic mountains in the state and in my opinion the most majestic. They are also far enough away from the cities to not get crazy crammed with people in the summertime. For plugging in go to Lake City and stay at Highlander Campground. You can rent a jeep or sxs and do the alpine loop , visit Silverton and Telluride. The Rio Grand head waters are close and beautiful. On your way to Utah you could try the other side of those hills and stay around Montrose and visit Ouray. That's the western gareway to the San Juans.

If you want to keep close to I-70 check out Red Stone national forest Campground. Close to Aspen, Marble and Glennwood Springs.

Lots of dispersed camping for RVs too, but you'll need a knowledge local for help. Try 4 mile area around Buena Vista, or Bassam Park.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Clay View Post
    I received my print version yesterday. It is a very nice book. The graphics are clear and the print is large enough for my old eyes. I’m glad I went with the print version.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5C8E0DE5-FF3C-4129-8565-A5862BA4DBDD.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	37796
    Is that book like the "Milepost" book of traveling B.C., Yukon to Alaska. I think I need one. Does it show mile markers with descriptive notes...That book is a must for a trip north. It has so much information with many side roads included.
    2007 Ram 5.9 CTD 4x4 LB
    2019 Imagine 2500RL

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Riverbug, you can call me if you want. 3 oh three 5 juan 4 eight juan four five. I will help and steer you away from fire raveged areas.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Many great state parks

Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    Never been to the mountains...any real mountains. Talked about going Colorado for 30 years and finally planning to do it next year. Our plan is to travel for 4+ weeks starting last week of August. As I've been planning the route and checking out places to stay (using RV Trip Wizard mainly), I notice an abundance of public campgrounds which seem to be limited on hook ups. We're planning to start from the North of the state and work our way south (including a side trip to Canyon Lands in UT).
    Wondering if anyone can advise:

How easy it is to find dump stations and fresh water throughout the state?
    Are most campgrounds going to remain open until end of September?
    Is it easy to find places to just pull over and camp for the night if we do not make reservations in advance?

Thanks!
    We are blessed to live in this wonderful state and have RV’d here for many years. We love the Colorado state parks as most have great facilities but getting a site requires advanced planning. State parks we’d recommend include Steamboat Lake, State Forrest, Golden Gate Canyon, Mueller, Cheyenne Mountain, Ridgway and Lathrop Lake. You can usually get electric and water but some even have full hookup (I.e. Ridgway). Moraine Campground in Rocky Mountain NP has basic sites but they can be hard to get. There is a dump station there. Forrest Service campgrounds we’ve enjoyed are Sage near Leadville, Redstone near Carbondale, Mountain Park near Fort Collins, and Heaton Bay near Breckinridge. During the peak season (June - September) reservations are a must especially if you want electricity. Also be aware that just because it’s summer doesn’t mean it won’t snow in higher elevations. Hope this helps and you have a wonderful time here.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast