User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Planning Colorado Bucket List Trip

Never been to the mountains...any real mountains. Talked about going Colorado for 30 years and finally planning to do it next year. Our plan is to travel for 4+ weeks starting last week of August. As I've been planning the route and checking out places to stay (using RV Trip Wizard mainly), I notice an abundance of public campgrounds which seem to be limited on hook ups. We're planning to start from the North of the state and work our way south (including a side trip to Canyon Lands in UT).
    Wondering if anyone can advise:

How easy it is to find dump stations and fresh water throughout the state?
    Are most campgrounds going to remain open until end of September?
    Is it easy to find places to just pull over and camp for the night if we do not make reservations in advance?

Thanks!
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    Never been to the mountains...any real mountains. Talked about going Colorado for 30 years and finally planning to do it next year. Our plan is to travel for 4+ weeks starting last week of August. As I've been planning the route and checking out places to stay (using RV Trip Wizard mainly), I notice an abundance of public campgrounds which seem to be limited on hook ups. We're planning to start from the North of the state and work our way south (including a side trip to Canyon Lands in UT).

Is it easy to find places to just pull over and camp for the night if we do not make reservations in advance?

Thanks!
    We’ve never camped in Colorado but it is on our list. I’m envious. Please keep us updated on your progress. We hope you have a great time.
    Diane and Mike
    2022 280RS. Onan generator, Sumo Springs, MORyde crossmembers, hardwired surge protector
    2015 F-350 DRW 4x4 6.7L Power Stroke Feed Truck. 4.10s, front & rear stabilizer bars, Andersen 3221-TBX
    2021 Thor Chateau 22E Class C (retired) & 1970 Pop-Up Camper (retired - saw much of Western Europe)

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've done Colorado and I would recommend reservations - especially these days. Same for southern Utah. A very handy tool for that part of the country is the Mountain Directory, too - western version in either the PC/downloadable or printed format.

On another topic, "bucket list" usually connotes an end-of-life situation... I hope that's not the case here!

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob gave you good advice for Colorado. It is one of the most heavily visited States by Americans and Foreigners for every type of outdoor activity. I suggest you look into joining Harvest Hosts and Boondockers Welcome. There is A LOT of off-grid, true boondocking camping in Colorado, but you might not be wanting to leap right into that style of camping just starting out.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    North == Steamboat Springs. Great little skiing town. Visit Strawberry hot springs. It is clothing optional.
    Also, Estes Park for elks, Grandby for the head waters of the Colorado River and a fun town.
    Colorado Springs for Garden of the Gods, cog railroad and seven falls. Glenwoods springs, for hot springs.
    South== Black Canyon of the Gunnison (more mid then south). Ouray for hot springs. Durango for the Narrow Gage railroad and Mesa Verde.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    We've done Colorado and I would recommend reservations - especially these days. Same for southern Utah. A very handy tool for that part of the country is the Mountain Directory, too - western version in either the PC/downloadable or printed format.

On another topic, "bucket list" usually connotes an end-of-life situation... I hope that's not the case here!

Rob
    Oh boy, that's not the situation at all so perhaps my misuse of the term. Appreciate the concern though. I use bucket list to annotate the things we really want to do before we die or before we can't travel any longer (whenever either of those things might be). We're actually mid-50's and I retired a couple of years ago; my wife retired a couple of months ago. We hope we have many years, but one never knows. I'll check out the mountain directory. Thanks.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all, thanks for the great responses. We actually have quite a bit of our itinerary filled already - we've kind of had 30 years to dream and prep. I'm really trying to get those specific questions answered because most campgrounds (public and private) do not state when they close, at least not online). And I cannot find much info about whether you can just pull off and sleep for the night in many places (you know, like you can in AK). I'm assuming we'll be utlizing mostly primitive campsites as that's what seems to be more readily available, thus the question about whether or not it will be easy to find dump stations and water when needed... We do rural touring almost exclusively so we aren't typically traveling to urban locations where there might be more full service campgrounds and amenities.
    Chad

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Rob gave you good advice for Colorado. It is one of the most heavily visited States by Americans and Foreigners for every type of outdoor activity. I suggest you look into joining Harvest Hosts and Boondockers Welcome. There is A LOT of off-grid, true boondocking camping in Colorado, but you might not be wanting to leap right into that style of camping just starting out.
    Thanks for the tips. I was contemplating Harvest Hosts. I'll have to keep searching for off grid information. We don't mind that at all. We have tons of things on our itinerary (places we want to see and specific passes we want to drive, etc.) now we're ready to start planning where we want to stay and make reservations for the places where that's an option.
    Chad

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post

Just about any private campground you pass along the way should let you fill your water tanks and dump (most likely for a small fee).

Yes. Most. Higher elevations close sooner than lower ones. Some stay open but turn the water off. If you are going for 4 weeks in August this is not a concern.

No. Some might disagree with me. But if you only have 4 weeks and there is someplace or something you want to see then I would highly suggest booking - NOW! State parks fill FAST - so start considering exactly where you want to be and when and then be sure to get on line the day the reservation system opens. Boondocking sites are also well know so those fill quickly too.

Thanks!
    Enjoy the planning. Congrats on the retirement. Have fun.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    Enjoy the planning. Congrats on the retirement. Have fun.
    Thanks for the response Larry, very helpful. We were thinking of leaving the last week of August so that would have us returning at the end of September. We prefer off season travel when possible but up in the mountains I realize pushing it into October is risky, was hoping September would be safe. Will definitely start nailing down places to stay and start trying to book them.
    Chad

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast