User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4x4dually View Post
    Almost ready to try a Gen-Y. Can't seem to find a happy medium. Drove I-44 between Walters, OK and the TX state line (exit 5) with it this holiday. All I can say is holy ************. I had to slow to 55 mph to keep from beating everyone in the truck to death. I pulled it from home to the Texas line, then to the Kansas line, then back to home. Tried different pressures (sorry, levels on the indicator sight hole) and the only thing that keeps it smooth is smooth pavement....which is the opposite of why I bought this thing.

I do love the fact that it takes some of the jolt out of the RV but it either needs larger shocks to dampen or something. Not really happy with it just yet.

I guess my first step now will be to go weigh the RV and get an actual tongue weight. I have the 16K version and maybe it's too light as some have mentioned.
    First of all, I’m not suggesting that you don’t have a real problem. Having said that, There is no magic carpet ride out there. Every hitch known to man will not be able to provide a smooth ride on every road. I’ve towed with a regular fifth wheel and original pinbox, a regular fifth wheel hitch and Reese Fifth Airborne and now with the Reese GooseBox. Not one of those combinations gave a completely smooth ride on every road. Both of the Reese pinbox greatly improved the ride. I haven’t driven that section of I44, so I can’t speak to how it may compare with the rougher roads I’ve driven. I have towed on the Indian Nation Turnpike and it has some of the roughest roadway I have ever been on. Towing at even at 55mph in some places was a rough ride.
    Paul and Sue
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, GooseBox hitch
    2019 Ram 3500 Cummins CC SB

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverbeard View Post
    First of all, I’m not suggesting that you don’t have a real problem. Having said that, There is no magic carpet ride out there. Every hitch known to man will not be able to provide a smooth ride on every road. I’ve towed with a regular fifth wheel and original pinbox, a regular fifth wheel hitch and Reese Fifth Airborne and now with the Reese GooseBox. Not one of those combinations gave a completely smooth ride on every road. Both of the Reese pinbox greatly improved the ride. I haven’t driven that section of I44, so I can’t speak to how it may compare with the rougher roads I’ve driven. I have towed on the Indian Nation Turnpike and it has some of the roughest roadway I have ever been on. Towing at even at 55mph in some places was a rough ride.
    I completely agree, that's why I say I haven't given up yet. Every truck and condition are different.

That stretch of road on I-44 would rival the nation's worse IMO. When I haul hay back from my father-in-law's house, grossing 26-28K, I drive around it. It's unbearable.

The constant oscillation without the feeling of any dampening was killing me. It was almost resonant like it was feeding off itself and amplifying.
    2021 Reflection 367BHS
    2009 Dodge 3500 4x4 Longbed MegaCab
    Electrical Engineer/Musician/Rancher
    Habbitial facebook jail inmate and soon to be banned from here

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All my trailers are goose these days, and the Goosebox is a very different tow than one of my traditional gooseneck trailers.

Could you have slop? Sure. Good inspection should reveal excessive play.

Could it be air pressure in the bag? Yup, but DO NOT DRILL THE BLOCK. it is actually a valve. Just use a chuck with a pressure gauge on it.

I personally speculate neither are your problem. Enough slop to chuck would manifest in other ways. The air bag is cushion more than dampen. I speculate your pin is too light and/or your shocks on the Goosebox are not performing properly. This is assuming your sensation of chucking is hitch-related. I cannot tell you how many fellow campers have wasted their money chasing hitch or pin box upgrades when the source of their issue was a long worn out truck suspension! If you have a GoPro or co-pilot, use it/them to video what's going on with the Goosebox as you take that patch of rough road.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    All my trailers are goose these days, and the Goosebox is a very different tow than one of my traditional gooseneck trailers.

Could you have slop? Sure. Good inspection should reveal excessive play.

Could it be air pressure in the bag? Yup, but DO NOT DRILL THE BLOCK. it is actually a valve. Just use a chuck with a pressure gauge on it.

I personally speculate neither are your problem. Enough slop to chuck would manifest in other ways. The air bag is cushion more than dampen. I speculate your pin is too light and/or your shocks on the Goosebox are not performing properly. This is assuming your sensation of chucking is hitch-related. I cannot tell you how many fellow campers have wasted their money chasing hitch or pin box upgrades when the source of their issue was a long worn out truck suspension! If you have a GoPro or co-pilot, use it/them to video what's going on with the Goosebox as you take that patch of rough road.
    Thanks for the thoughts. Truck has new sumo springs as well as brand new Fox 2.0 Performance shocks installed right before the last trip. We can't rule out anything at this point.
    2021 Reflection 367BHS

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4x4dually View Post
    Thanks for the thoughts. Truck has new sumo springs as well as brand new Fox 2.0 Performance shocks installed right before the last trip. We can't rule out anything at this point.
    Personal opinion, Fox is not synonymous with a maker of shocks for heavy duty towing. Not really their core. Yes, I'm an ornery grey-haired engineer and a gearhead. That said, you mentioned you've worked the truck hard a long while. Given the age and use, if your springs have worn out, shocks and Sumos are not going to compensate. Did you measure and compare your springs to spec? Replace suspension bushings?

Probably could rule out the coach and Goosebox quickly with a trip to the scales and taking out the lower shock bolt and checking their behavior.

The old mega-longs did not have tremendous payload capacity so if you are near it with tired suspension...
    Last edited by geotex1; 12-28-2021 at 02:03 PM.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FYI, even though the 16K model is built to handle up to 16K fifth wheel, the pin weight rating is 3200#. If your trailer weighs close to it’s GVWR, you most likely are getting close to max pin weight for the 16K GooseBox.
    Paul and Sue
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, GooseBox hitch
    2019 Ram 3500 Cummins CC SB

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverbeard View Post
    FYI, even though the 16K model is built to handle up to 16K fifth wheel, the pin weight rating is 3200#. If your trailer weighs close to it’s GVWR, you most likely are getting close to max pin weight for the 16K GooseBox.
    That's my fear and why I need to take it to the coop and borrow their scales and get actual numbers.
    2021 Reflection 367BHS

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123