User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary325 View Post
    You need to let ALL the air out and start fresh. Set your air compressor max closer to 20 psi than the 80 psi I had it set for trailer tires.
    Not sure we need to let it all out, but I see what you are saying about having a compressor set high. Mine is set for 125 psi. It takes zero time to max the bag out. I'm thinking of redoing the entire plumbing system on mine with a new block, regular valve, a needle valve to bleed with for precisions, and an extra Schrader valve to screw a Tire Linc sensor on it so I can read it remotely with my app and not have to remove it each time I air up or down.

I did increase the air in it this last weekend an only have chucking once on a bad bridge. It was much better than the last trip.
    2021 Reflection 367BHS
    2009 Dodge 3500 4x4 Longbed MegaCab
    Electrical Engineer/Musician/Rancher
    Habbitial facebook jail inmate and soon to be banned from here

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that I would look at the Goose-box first. We already had our B&W Turnover ball with the companion Hitch when we went from a 9K 5'er to our 14K+ Solitude. I can honestly say that the ONLY time I feel chucking is on cement, not Asphalt freeways when the temps are very high and the slabs of pavement start "heaving" from the heat. The chucking occurs when crossing the seams between the slabs. My wife is usually behind me pulling out 2.5K boat with a long trailer. She feels the chucking at the same time I do. It also stops for both of us at the same time.

It is most likely NOT the B&W, but I would still climb under the truck and verify that all of the frame bolts that hold the hitch in place are torqued correctly. Most of the bolts on my Ford version Turnover Ball are to be 40 ft/lbs. We love our B&W!
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4x4dually View Post
    I've got a B&W Turn-Over ball in my 2009 Dodge and a brand new Reece Goosebox on our Reflection 367BHS. I've noticed the first couple of times out that the truck and trailer will chuck forwards and back when the pavement isn't just super great. My only thoughts are that it is attributed to the fact that this hitch and truck have almost 200K miles on them and maybe the insert and receiver in the bed are worn enough to have some slop. This B&W has towed tons of weight over the years from equipment to hay to cattle.

I've been meaning to put my camera on it while towing to see if I can see where the movement is coming from but I haven't got around to it.

Has anyone else had issues with B&W getting worn or is there something I'm not thinking of?

And, no, I don't want an Anderson. I don't want to take stuff in and out of my bed every time I swap trailers.
    OK, we had the same issue. what you want to do is check the alignment on the trailer. Do this by measuring the wheels center to center and side to side. If you are more than 1/4" off the it is a trailer alignment issue. Sonny with Rv Ride Control made a system to align the trailer. etrailer has it.
    Correct Track Trailer Alignment and Lift Kit - Tandem Axle
    send questions to: [email protected]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't go by air pressure, you go by the black indicator in the sight hole. When your 5th wheel is fully on the ball and locked in, thats when you adjust the air pressure so that the indicator is in the center of the sight hole. Check your owner's manual, it states that same procedure. The reason you go by what you see in the indicator hole is because all 5th wheels have different pin weights thats why there is not one air pressure for all 5th wheels.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 440scout View Post
    You don't go by air pressure, you go by the black indicator in the sight hole. When your 5th wheel is fully on the ball and locked in, thats when you adjust the air pressure so that the indicator is in the center of the sight hole. Check your owner's manual, it states that same procedure. The reason you go by what you see in the indicator hole is because all 5th wheels have different pin weights thats why there is not one air pressure for all 5th wheels.
    I couldn’t have said it better myself.
    Paul and Sue
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, GooseBox hitch
    2019 Ram 3500 Cummins CC SB

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Believe it or not, I've read the owners manual, I understand how it works, and I know that every trip the the actual pressure may have to change depending on how the trailer is loaded and the ever changing actual pin weight. Gotcha. I have the indicator painted for ease of sight and it is set in the middle of the hole just as the manual states and adjusted after hooking to the truck.

There has to be a happy medium in there somewhere. I just haven't found it yet. The goosebox owners group on facebook has been eye opening with lots of comments and ideas. I added a little air and moved the line down a bit and it helped. I just don't want to go too far and make the ride more harsh than it needs to be. I've even thought about adding a 1/2 gal accumulator but that's just my engineering brain trying to do too much.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3136[1].jpg  
    Last edited by 4x4dually; 11-30-2021 at 07:49 AM.
    2021 Reflection 367BHS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Believe it or not, I've read the owners manual, I understand how it works, and I know that every trip the the actual pressure may have to change depending on how the trailer is loaded and the ever changing actual pin weight. Gotcha. I have the indicator painted for ease of sight and it is set in the middle of the hole just as the manual states and adjusted after hooking to the truck.

There has to be a happy medium in there somewhere. I just haven't found it yet. The goosebox owners group on facebook has been eye opening with lots of comments and ideas. I added a little air and moved the line down a bit and it helped. I just don't want to go too far and make the ride more harsh than it needs to be. I've even thought about adding a 1/2 gal accumulator but that's just my engineering brain trying to do too much.

I don't know which Goosebox you've got on your Reflection, is it the 16-k or the 20-k? If its the 16-k Goosebox then maybe those come with a smaller airbag and its barley enough for the weight of your 5th wheel. I don't know, just guessing. Sounds like you have done almost everything you can to reduce the chucking. I think your idea of getting under the truck and tightening all those bolts is a great idea. I did the same thing to mine a couple months ago and happily found everything was tight. B&W also recommends adding a little grease to each vertical edge on the square part of the gooseball every once in a while but I don't know how often. Who knows, that may help, too. I will get chucking once in a while on those bad expansion joints and bridge transitions but I think that's normal and the Goosebox is just doing the best it can and it has reached its limit of travel. One thing I try to remember to do is spray the ball with some kind of lubricant each time I pull the 5th wheel before each trip. That won't help with the chucking but it greatly reduces the hitch/ball noises. I'm gonna paint that indicator piece like you did, great idea! Thanks and good luck with your rig.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Almost ready to try a Gen-Y. Can't seem to find a happy medium. Drove I-44 between Walters, OK and the TX state line (exit 5) with it this holiday. All I can say is holy ************. I had to slow to 55 mph to keep from beating everyone in the truck to death. I pulled it from home to the Texas line, then to the Kansas line, then back to home. Tried different pressures (sorry, levels on the indicator sight hole) and the only thing that keeps it smooth is smooth pavement....which is the opposite of why I bought this thing.

I do love the fact that it takes some of the jolt out of the RV but it either needs larger shocks to dampen or something. Not really happy with it just yet.

I guess my first step now will be to go weigh the RV and get an actual tongue weight. I have the 16K version and maybe it's too light as some have mentioned.
    2021 Reflection 367BHS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Goosebox Shocks!

Almost ready to try a Gen-Y. Can't seem to find a happy medium. Drove I-44 between Walters, OK and the TX state line (exit 5) with it this holiday. All I can say is holy ************. I had to slow to 55 mph to keep from beating everyone in the truck to death. I pulled it from home to the Texas line, then to the Kansas line, then back to home. Tried different pressures (sorry, levels on the indicator sight hole) and the only thing that keeps it smooth is smooth pavement....which is the opposite of why I bought this thing.

I do love the fact that it takes some of the jolt out of the RV but it either needs larger shocks to dampen or something. Not really happy with it just yet.

My first step now will be to go weigh the RV and get an actual tongue weight. I have the 16K version and maybe it's too light as some have mentioned.
    FYI, I'm using the 20-k goosebox on a 2019 GD Solitude 310GK and once in a while there will be some minor chucking, but very tolerable. I reread your original post to make sure I understand which goosebox you have and what steps you have taken to correct that chucking issue. Your 5th wheel is probable within the weight specs for your goosebox so that leaves 2 other possibilities. First, there may be some loose mounting bolts on the B&W turnover hardware or, considering all the use the gooebox has been through including lots of heavy loads on rough dirt roads, its possible that the shocks have worn out. As long as the 5th wheel is not at or above the 16-k limit and the B&W mounting hardware is tight then its probably the shocks. Also, it wouldn't hurt to contact the goosebox manufacturer and ask for advice. Let us know what you figure out, thanks.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 440scout View Post
    FYI, I'm using the 20-k goosebox on a 2019 GD Solitude 310GK and once in a while there will be some minor chucking, but very tolerable. I reread your original post to make sure I understand which goosebox you have and what steps you have taken to correct that chucking issue. Your 5th wheel is probable within the weight specs for your goosebox so that leaves 2 other possibilities. First, there may be some loose mounting bolts on the B&W turnover hardware or, considering all the use the gooebox has been through including lots of heavy loads on rough dirt roads, its possible that the shocks have worn out. As long as the 5th wheel is not at or above the 16-k limit and the B&W mounting hardware is tight then its probably the shocks. Also, it wouldn't hurt to contact the goosebox manufacturer and ask for advice. Let us know what you figure out, thanks.
    Thanks. I plan on getting actual weights first thing then continuing with some checks then contacting Reece for their advice.

The B&W hitch components are all tight. The frame was recently stretched to make this megacab into a long bed so the hitch and it's parts were recently assembled and tightened. I'll check them again, but those should all be tight. I've only made half a dozen tows with it since this was done. The goosebox is brand new. I've hauled the trailer, like I've said, half a dozen times. Probably not even 500 miles total. Nothing should be worn out yet.

I'm not bugging out of it yet, just fishing for more info and things to try. The dealer pressed and pressed me to get an Anderson...I just didn't want to take crap in and out of my truck every time I swapped trailers....and I swap trailers a lot between RV, flatbed dual tandem, and our stock trailer.
    2021 Reflection 367BHS

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast