User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Can't base everything on just the complaints, because not everyone complains.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3f2.jpeg 
Views:	79 
Size:	10.7 KB 
ID:	37832

How many posts have there been where people say, "Hey, this <whatever> works exactly as I thought it should."

The best I've been able to conclude is that every unit has different parasitic draw with the switch off.
    The only way to know about yours is to measure it.
    Last edited by jjbbrewer; 11-21-2021 at 03:17 PM.
    signature

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjbbrewer View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3f2.jpeg 
Views:	79 
Size:	10.7 KB 
ID:	37832

How many posts have there been where people say, "Hey, this <whatever> works exactly as I thought it should."

The best I've been able to conclude is that every unit has different parasitic draw with the switch off.

The only way to know about yours is to measure it.
    Exactly so. Depends on how the person connecting things was doing things on that day, at that time of day, what (if anything) is connected before or after the disconnect.

Our rig only has power to the jacks with the disconnect key out.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know how rare it is, most people complain about it when their battery goes dead. But how many people never say anything because their battery doesn't go dead because their disconnect works like it should? Can't base everything on just the complaints, because not everyone complains.
    If this was such a problem, GD would be really busy fixing them under warranty.
    I have yet to see where anyone has posted such a thing.......
    Probably because it states in the manual (IIRC, page 94 for your Momentum) that the switch does not disconnect all loads....IOW, it is working as GD intended.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    If this was such a problem, GD would be really busy fixing them under warranty.
    I have yet to see where anyone has posted such a thing.......
    Probably because it states in the manual (IIRC, page 94 for your Momentum) that the switch does not disconnect all loads....IOW, it is working as GD intended.
    I would have to reread the manual, but I don't think it specifically states that the switch does not disconnect all loads. I think you are inferring that from your interpretation of what you read. And what you're reading could be a very large CYA, just so people can't demand any "repairs" done under warranty.

We'll just have to agree to disagree about how an real battery disconnect switch actually works.
    Last edited by Hoopy Frood; 11-21-2021 at 03:58 PM.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would have to reread the manual, but I don't think it specifically states that the switch does not disconnect all loads. I think you are inferring that from your interpretation of what you read. And what you're reading could be a very large CYA, just so people can't demand any "repairs" done under warranty.

We'll just have to agree to disagree about how an real battery disconnect switch actually works.
    Oh you know very well exactly what it says.... I quoted it for you verbatum in the other thread.

For some reason you just want it to be the way you think it should be...... Which BTW, I agree with.... The problem with too many people is that they see things the way they want them to be... Rather than the way they are.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My last word on the subject, from a Google search for "battery disconnect switch": "Battery disconnect switches are designed to cut-off electrical power, help protect against electrical fires and theft when equipment is not in use."

I'll have to admit that I didn't read all of them, but I didn't find any that said it was a switch to partially disconnect the battery power. Like I said, my last word...in this thread anyway.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same here. With the stock disconnect off, this is what it draws.
    Attachment 37787
    If that is 48 milliamps, thats a pretty big load with everything turned off. I put in a battery dis-connect switch in ours at the battery in the first month of ownership, glad I did.
    2007 Ram 5.9 CTD 4x4 LB
    2019 Imagine 2500RL

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jlk111 View Post
    If that is 48 milliamps, thats a pretty big load with everything turned off.
    Big load?

This is <0.6W, which is about the same as a cellphone when it's in your pocket (i.e. not in use, screen off) or less than what a 2" solar cell can deliver.
    To bring one 90Ah battery (27DC) to 50% charge would take about 40 days.

In the world of car batteries and RVs, I wouldn't consider that a big load. Do you?

I still want to find out where that drain is going, but it's not at the top of my "todo" list, yet.
    Last edited by jjbbrewer; 11-24-2021 at 05:36 PM.
    signature

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big load?

This is <0.6W, which is about the same as a cellphone when it's in your pocket (i.e. not in use, screen off) or less than what a 2" solar cell can deliver.
    To bring one 90Ah battery (27DC) to 50% charge would take about 40 days.

In the world of car batteries and RVs, I wouldn't consider that a big load. Do you?

I still want to find out where that drain is going, but it's not at the top of my "todo" list, yet.
    If I remember right from many years ago a car stereo had a parasitic draw of 6-8 milliamps. That load would be about 7 stereos keeping their memory saved. I thought it would kill a battery by the next weekend trip.
    My last two trailers with Interstate batteries needed to have them replaced too soon. I needed batteries for a different trailer on a trip and put Walmart "Everstart" batteries in and they were still in it and working good 7 years later when we sold it. I have shore power for my trailer in the shop bay and its plugged in and re-loaded after every trip. The Interstate battery that was in our Imagine was bad from the start. After purchase of our Imagine I immediately replaced it with two 6 volt Trojan batteries and put a dis-connect switch at the battery. That turns everything off.
    2007 Ram 5.9 CTD 4x4 LB
    2019 Imagine 2500RL

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know I've seen those in RV stores.... There not cheap!
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast