User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

21G Tongue Weight

Hello- We recently purchased a 2019 Momentum 21G. I know now that my old WDH with 750# bars is not enough, but I don't know what I should purchase. I understand and agree that the best way to determine what's best is to go to the scales. However, it's freezin' season in Idaho and I'd rather not fill the fresh water tank, load my 800# ATV etc.

If there are other 21G owners out there that can share their tongue weight numbers with me, I'd appreciate it. (I do have the Onan 4K generator and two 6V batteries up front) Given supply chain issues, I'd rather not hope I can find what I need in short order next spring.

Thanks for any similarly set up input!

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

21G Tongue Weight

I see this is only your second post, so welcome!

So let’s talk about tongue weight…

Your rig has a GVWR of 9995, so we will just call it 10k.

At a minimum of 10% of the total GVWR your TW will be 1000lbs

At 12% it will be 1200 lbs

At 15% it will be 1500 lbs

I recommend 1200 lb bars on a good wd hitch.
    I use Equalizer hitch, but lots of good brands.
    Other good brands include
    Blue Ox
    Husky
    Curt
    Reese Pro
    Anderson

Good Luck
    Bill
    Last edited by Redapple63; 11-17-2021 at 12:38 AM.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our 2021 21G was 1070lbs when it left the factory. No batteries, no propane, nothing added. It has the generator and 3 season rear doors. Had 1000/10,000 Equalizer hitch and it was not enough. Spoke with Equalizer and they recommended 1400/14,000 and that is what I bought. Can’t change just the bars as the hitch head is bigger also.
    2021 Momentum 21G
    2020 Silverado 2500 6.6 Gas

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMHO if your going to change your WDH I would go with this one https://www.weigh-safe.com/true-tow-...ibution-hitch/
    It's a newer WDH and comes with great reviews, specially from tow hauler owners.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There should be an actual weight sheet in the information packet that came with the trailer. The tongue weight listed on that sheet will be without propane, battery etc... so plan on more. I very much agree with Steph on going to the Weigh Safe True Tow hitch. The on the fly adjustability of the Weigh Safe along with the convenience of it weighing the tongue for you and providing the necessary adjustments in their phone app is a major plus with these trailers. There will be a huge swing in tongue weight depending on how much water you are carrying and what and how whatever is in the garage is loaded. These trailers want what would seem to be overkill hitches to pull well in the varying conditions.

Last edited by TerryH; 11-17-2021 at 08:04 AM.
    2021 Momentum 31G
    2021 20' Haulmark Edge race trailer
    '17 Ram CCLB 3500 dually 6.7 turbo
    '96 Chevy C3500 CC dually 454
    2019 Honda Talon X
    1985 Honda FL350R Odyssey

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to you all for taking the time to respond. I did find the factory weight sheet, mine shows 1,096lbs tongue weight. After looking at lots of information and listening to advice on this thread I decided to with the 1,500lb Weigh Safe hitch. For anyone else who may be looking, this video may be helpful? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8eY-qbtuJU I don't agree with some of the critiques, but it is a good summary of some of what's currently available.
    Last edited by Goin Towin; 11-18-2021 at 07:43 AM.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goin Towin View Post
    Thanks to you all for taking the time to respond. I did find the factory weight sheet, mine shows 1,096lbs tongue weight. After looking at lots of information and listening to advice on this thread I decided to with the 1,500lb Weigh Safe hitch. For anyone else who may be looking, this video may be helpful? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8eY-qbtuJU I don't agree with some of the critiques, but it is a good summary of what's currently available.
    I think you'll be satisfied. I have a Husky Centerline and even though it works as advertised, it's noisy. Because of that I'm really entertaining replacing it. I've been doing lots of research and have narrowed it down to the Weight Safe True Tow and Anderson.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goin Towin View Post
    Thanks to you all for taking the time to respond. I did find the factory weight sheet, mine shows 1,096lbs tongue weight. After looking at lots of information and listening to advice on this thread I decided to with the 1,500lb Weigh Safe hitch. For anyone else who may be looking, this video may be helpful? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8eY-qbtuJU I don't agree with some of the critiques, but it is a good summary of some of what's currently available.
    We have been super impressed with our Weigh Safe. Here's a video from our channel on how we have ours set up. There is a link in the video description for some nylon pads that are actually designed for the Equalizer that will make the Weigh Safe bars virtually silent. I definitely recommend those. Hopefully some other tips in the video that will help with the setup as well.

2021 Momentum 31G
    2021 20' Haulmark Edge race trailer
    '17 Ram CCLB 3500 dually 6.7 turbo
    '96 Chevy C3500 CC dually 454
    2019 Honda Talon X
    1985 Honda FL350R Odyssey