User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2020 315RLTS Roof wrinkling/bubbles - any help appreciated

Hi. We have a 2020 Reflection 315RLTS trailer that we love. We’ve done all required maintenance on schedule since the purchase. 2 months ago, I went up on the roof and completely inspected and washed the roof with dawn soap/water and used a soft brush, there were absolutely no issues. Since new, this trailer has only been used a few times in the summer for short camping trips then winterized and covered/stored indoors so its never had rain on it. We are building a home and moved into the trailer 3+ months ago FT while the house is constructed so this is the first time its been out in the weather. This morning, I went up to do a visual on the roof since we’ve had some rain and noticed the roof has some long bubbles down each side of the roof probably about 2” in from each side edge. Since the bubbles are not along the actual edge and not all the way to the front edge (direction the rain/wind comes from) I don’t believe its caused by the trim or sealant coming loose/cracking allowing wind/rain in. The odd thing is that 2.5 hours later, I went back up and the bubble along the right side was now flat again, the left side is still wrinkled and the entire back area of roof shows footprints into the roof surface. I’ve read in some owner threads that some small amount of bubbling/wrinkling is normal? I’ve also read that some wrinkling may come and go based on atmospheric conditions? Any truth to these statements?
    Since our trailer is over 2 years old with only 1 yr. of roof warranty, should I contact GD on this and any opinions on what might cause this? I’m attaching pics taken around 11:30 am today and again at 2 pm.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2020 315RLTS roof left side front am 2.jpg   2020 315RLTS roof right side 11 am.jpg   2020 315RLTS roof right side 2 pm.jpg   2020 315RLTS roof back area footprints.jpg   2020 315RLTS roof left side above slide out close up.jpg  

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear of your troubles. We have the same year and model. To me that definitely looks like the glue is letting go of the roofing material.

I was originally going to recommend making a cut at the bubble, add adhesive underneath then patch over it, but, the later pict of the huge wrinkle and all the little bubbles look like it worse and not so easily repairable.

If it were me, I would look at taking the perimeter up and maybe trying to reglue.

This does haves risks. These roof materials are easily stretched and deformed, so in pulling it up you may set yourself up for an full reroof.

So with that said, let it ride for a bit (especially if you are stationary) and inspect on a regular basis. Over time you may find you have to replace it, but, you may be able to defer to a time with better weather.

In my opinion, you will end up doing the whole roof.

Thanks,
    Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    Sorry to hear of your troubles. We have the same year and model. To me that definitely looks like the glue is letting go of the roofing material.

I was originally going to recommend making a cut at the bubble, add adhesive underneath then patch over it, but, the later pict of the huge wrinkle and all the little bubbles look like it worse and not so easily repairable.

If it were me, I would look at taking the perimeter up and maybe trying to reglue.

This does haves risks. These roof materials are easily stretched and deformed, so in pulling it up you may set yourself up for an full reroof.

So with that said, let it ride for a bit (especially if you are stationary) and inspect on a regular basis. Over time you may find you have to replace it, but, you may be able to defer to a time with better weather.

In my opinion, you will end up doing the whole roof.

Thanks,
    Bill
    Thank you Bill for your reply. Agree, it appears to be a glue issue. We are insured by Progressive and they insure roof problems. My only concern with just watching this to see if it gets worse is that Progressive considers full timers to be 6 months at a time in the trailer. Since we are not FT'ers normally and don't have the endorsement for FT on the policy, I'm afraid they will exclude FT as no coverage if we get any closer to the 6 months mark. Appreciate your comments though. It looks to me like a serious roof replacement unfortunately.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before going to your insurance give GD a shout. Your rig might be out of warranty but it's still a 2020. It's worth a shot.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The roof has a 12 year warranty...call Grand Design.
    People keep telling me to follow my dreams...so I went back to bed

2019 303rls
    2017 GMC 2500hd ccsb 2wd 6.0 gas
    Andersen ultimate rail mount hitch

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with the others. Call GD
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS