Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Running furnance with slideouts in

I will be traveling in our 315 rlts trailer to So CA from Portland OR in a few days. We intend to overnight at a truckstop and was wondering if anyone has ran their furnace with the slide outs in? Our intent was to sleep in the trailer without pulling out the slides since we'll be at a truckstop. Does anyone see a concern with this?
    Gary and Nita
    2019 Reflection 315RLTS
    2019 Ram 2500 Laramie, 6.7L Turbo Diesel
    Auto Level Suspension,

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the bigger concern might be battery power available to run the furnace, the blower eats up a lot of battery power.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    I think the bigger concern might be battery power available to run the furnace, the blower eats up a lot of battery power.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I agree. We have the same rig. It’s a big trailer, lots to heat. We have a double 6v gc2 battery set up. Single 12v batt may be a bit short on power. What is your battery setup?
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aside from what others stated regarding the battery, we use our furnace with the slide in when stopped. Haven't tried it over night though. I doubt my single group 24 LA battery would last the night even with our much smaller 22mle.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gyoung360 View Post
    I will be traveling in our 315 rlts trailer to So CA from Portland OR in a few days. We intend to overnight at a truckstop and was wondering if anyone has ran their furnace with the slide outs in? Our intent was to sleep in the trailer without pulling out the slides since we'll be at a truckstop. Does anyone see a concern with this?
    Gary - this is a good question raised years ago as well. As long as the furnace heat registers and the cold air return areas are not obstructed, you are gtg. In side the RV on most GDRVs with the center island there are 3 registers there along with the one in the bedroom and one in the bathroom. I think the 315 is similar to this but you will need to check.

We have not traveled with our furnace running but have had it running at our home with the slides in. A number of folks traveling from the north to south or vise versa have shared running their furnaces while driving w/o any issues. It is nice to arrive at your stopping point to a warm RV !

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As others have said, as long as the heat registers aren't blocked with the slides in, no problem. We do it all the time when we leave the RV for a week - pull in the slides and set the thermostat to 45 degrees to keep things from freezing. With a single 12VDC lead-acid battery, you're not likely to make it all night if it's cold. The furnace fan is a big draw.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As always, thanks to the forum group for a quick response and good comments. Sounds like the battery issue is the main concern so when we stop for an overnight, I'll warm the trailer up (with the truck running) to make sure we start with some warmth and then set the thermostat low to keep the chill out of the air... will let everyone know how we fair.
    Gary and Nita
    2019 Reflection 315RLTS
    2019 Ram 2500 Laramie, 6.7L Turbo Diesel
    Auto Level Suspension,

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be aware that the truck may not charge the trailer battery enough to really do you any good. Unless you have dual alternators, and large gauge wiring, not a lot of charge gets to the trailer battery.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S