Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Air Conditioning Seal Routine Check

I couldn't find where someone has posted it already so I thought I'd share what I do annually. This is the first time in my GD 303. I am not an expert and I always tell folks to do your own due diligence before doing something. I am, however, sensitive to leaking issues. For example, I recently re-caulked the slide seals that had separated on all 4 sides of the two main slides. So, back to topic. We have two ACs, both Atwood. They are both attached by a 1" or so seal pressed against the roof by 4 bolts accessible from inside the RV. These are prone to loosening either by RV travel or seal compression of a 85lbs (or so) AC. My main AC was just barely tighter than finger tight whereas, the BR AC was a good bit more tight (dealer installed). Same seals, same bolts (ish). I suspect most AC brands are similar to Atwood. My Cameo Carrier from 09 was similar. To access, remove the plastic plate inside. In my case, there's 6 with two being under pop-out covers. I removed the 4, then using a razor knife (razorblade box-cutter), I popped out the covers and removed the other 2. Super easy. Then, I got a socket/driver the size of the 4 bolts.

Now, listen, they are not supposed to be super-tight at all! I've read all over the internet and most say "by feel". Atwood says not tighter than 4-6 ft pounds if I remember correctly. I try to do this when raining which I did today. First, I look for signs of being wet around the seal. All dry. Next I put the socket on and turn slowly. I determine what I'm comfortable, and in my case, one turn more which is still less than the BR AC. This part is important. I tighten each bolt a quarter turn at time for even pressure on the seal all the way around. Takes just a minute to cycle through the 4 to satisfaction.

This should be done annually at least IMO. When I read about this a few years ago and did my Cameo, I could remove a couple screws by hand. Just a suggestion for you in your maintenance plan. I attached a couple pics.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ac1.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	2314
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ac2.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	2315

Brent
    Brent & Gina
    2018 Ford F250 PSD Crew Cab
    SuperGlide 16K Hitch
    Grand Design 303 RLS

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good info Brent! If you can get back in there, bend that yellow Romex so it's not rubbing on the threaded rod. The movement of the trailer can do some damage there.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M