User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mobile internet, devices, best service, reasonable pricing

Hi, we were using our Wineguard/Togo C2 succesfully for almost 2 years. Most of the time able to get 4g signal and used an At&t sim card and buying $99 data every month. Now even though I have been in the same spot for 6 months I can not hook up to 4g.

Wondering what devices and internet services are best for traveling? May need to switch before getting on the road next spring. Thanks!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rely on advise from https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/

Their free guides are enough for me, but knowing they do deep research is what counts.
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure what your situation is regarding need for reliability, video conferencing for work, just streaming movies, etc. We don't work any longer so we're just playing around on the internet and streaming YouTube, Netflix, etc. Recently moved from At&t after 20+ years. Went to T-Mobile for there 55+ Magenta unlimited plans. Got 40GB high speed on our phones unlimited thereafter (with possibility of being slowed down after 40GB). We also did the free 30 day test drive with their hotspot (30GB over 30 days to see how we like it). We just drove my Dad from MN to FL and used the phones and hotspot all the way down. Reliability was great. On the hotspot I noticed that Netflix would sometimes buffer in rural areas on my laptop, but never had issues with YouTube. We are very happy with the switch so far. For whatever that's worth...
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I upgraded the Winegard to the 4g boost unit, but didn't put a sim card in it. I have a Verizon slingshot and "unlimited data" (false advertising!). It's been fine for week-long trips, but earlier this month we were out for 2 weeks and working full time.
    So that's 2x laptops running about 4-6 hours of Zoom a day, and then maybe an hour or two of streaming music or a movie at night.
    After about 10 days I got warning from Verizon I was closing in on my limit - see false advertising note above!

I know I need to dig into that mobile RV couple's website again and see what I can do for next year, but it's a good general question for those of you who work full time and/or burn through a lot of mobile data:

How do you get around the annoying throttling issue when you use too much data? I've heard some people manage to have true unlimited, but that's usually someone grandfathered in on an old, real unlimited plan. Is there a way to really get unlimited data these days?

Verizon is 50mb a month, IIRC, and we can burn through that easily in a couple of weeks or less. Next year when we start going out on longer trips and work from the rig, I'm going to need to solve this. This last time, luckily it turned out the CG had excellent wifi that we switched over to and was able to shut down the Slingshot.
    Last edited by JM0397; 11-22-2021 at 07:52 AM.
    Colin & Tracy
    '21 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ/Z71/SRW, Long bed, Anderson UH
    '21 Solitude 310 GK-R

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Visible seems hard to beet so far. $25/month unlimited data, 5Mbps hotspot. It does only support 1 device using the hotspot so I added a TP-Link TL-WR802N router to connect multiple devices to the phone since they don't support true hotspot devices.

I have not had any issues streaming except when there are local bandwidth issues, same issues on my main Verizon phone and the Visible phone that uses Verizon
    2021 Imagine 2800BH
    2017 Flagstaff 831CLBSS - Sold 5/2021.
    2017 F150 Super crew, 3.5EB, long bed, max tow, 1800lbs payload. Pro Pride, prior WDH Blue Ox SwayPro

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by llr2800 View Post
    Visible seems hard to beet so far. $25/month unlimited data, 5Mbps hotspot. It does only support 1 device using the hotspot so I added a TP-Link TL-WR802N router to connect multiple devices to the phone since they don't support true hotspot devices.

I have not had any issues streaming except when there are local bandwidth issues, same issues on my main Verizon phone and the Visible phone that uses Verizon
    That sounds like a good setup and way better than my limited-unlimited Verizon plan at $200/month.

Couple questions, please:
    -Is the "unlimited" really unlimited?
    -Sounds like Visible piggy-backs on Verizon networks, is that correct? (Verizon seems to have the best coverage, in my experience)
    Colin & Tracy
    '21 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ/Z71/SRW, Long bed, Anderson UH
    '21 Solitude 310 GK-R

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ptraney - I'll second the suggestion to read and research on https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/. They are the go-to gurus on this topic.

We are fortunate enough to have gotten in on a truly unlimited data plan (no longer available but grandfathered in) on a Verizon 4G MiFi hot-spot (we use an 8800L). When there is good reception and bandwidth on the cell tower, we stream Netflix, Prime Video, etc., as well as doing all of our on-line stuff with the computers. Of course, the available bandwidth on the tower is all-important.

Finally, you can create a signature block with your RV and tow vehicle information (see mine below). That way you won't have to repeat that information whenever you post or ask a question - and others won't have to ask. You can create a signature by going to:

Forum Actions (on menu bar) -> Edit Profile -> Edit Signature (under My Settings on the left)

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM0397 View Post
    That sounds like a good setup and way better than my limited-unlimited Verizon plan at $200/month.

Couple questions, please:
    -Is the "unlimited" really unlimited?
    -Sounds like Visible piggy-backs on Verizon networks, is that correct? (Verizon seems to have the best coverage, in my experience)
    They say it is unlimited. The hotspot is throttled lower then the phone all the time although I have not had issues streaming with it so far. I have only had it on a few trips so far is why I qualified it with "so far".

It is Verizon network and I believe owned by Verizon. There $25/month is a little odd as you need to be part or a group but there are groups with 1000's of people and automatic membership, billing is all separate. I bought a mid range smart phone through them for ~$75, there are no contracts.
    2021 Imagine 2800BH
    2017 Flagstaff 831CLBSS - Sold 5/2021.
    2017 F150 Super crew, 3.5EB, long bed, max tow, 1800lbs payload. Pro Pride, prior WDH Blue Ox SwayPro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've added a Verizon hotspot that has 150GB a month. The price was $80.00 a month. Not sure if already having Verizon account made a difference in price.
    Retired Hypnotist after 40 years.
    2021 Momentum 381M-R
    15 Foot garage
    Three air conditions
    Tow vehicle 2019 Ram Heavy Duty 4 X 4 Dually
    Going full time by December 2021
    Left Missouri in 2016 moved to Florida