User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "If yours was actually installed by GD as you state..... It was a mistake"

Now that statement looks like a pretty clear indication that someone thought my battery disconnect switch was wired incorrectly, because it disconnected all "loads", which is not to say "all safety devices".

Now I'm done until the next thread on Battery Disconnect Switches, and their operation.
    Last edited by Hoopy Frood; 12-01-2021 at 09:51 PM.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    "If yours was actually installed by GD as you state..... It was a mistake"

Now that statement looks like a pretty clear indication that someone thought my battery disconnect switch was wired incorrectly, because it disconnected all "loads", which is not to say "all safety devices".

Now I'm done until the next thread on Battery Disconnect Switches, and their operation.
    The nice thing about the internet, is that veirfying things is pretty simple..... Grand design has all of the manuals available on their website. That is where I found what your manual has to say on the matter. Anyone else can do the same.
    Not only does Grand design state that all safety items will remain operational..... They also state that the battery cable should be removed when the trailer is stored.

I do not see how you can square that with your statements.... At any rate, your disagreement is not with me. I just stated the facts the way they are. Perhaps you should contact Grand design and tell them they are wrong....

Note: As I have told you before, I have installed a real battery disconnect on my trailer.... And that is what one needs to do, if they want it to work the way you and I and many others want it to..... BUT, doing this removes Grand designs liability, and places it on us. I am OK with that. Many others are as well.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed a complete disconnect as well like huntindog. To me there is no risk with the emergency brakes as the hydraulic leveling system won't work either, which means I can't hook up to a vehicle without turning the battery back on first. I suppose if you had manual leveling legs, then it would be possible. If I spent the time tracing wires like the OP (nice job by the way), I would have removed the OEM disconnect switch as it does more harm than good. Bad location to get inadvertently hit, and a bad switch design with no strong detente for the "on" position. Anything slightly less than fully "on" is "off". I'm either going to take the time to remove the OEM switch, or purchase a correct sized thermostat cover to put over it so it does not get hit.
    New: 2021 Solitude 380FL
    Prior: 2016 Alpine 3600RS
    Tow: 2017 F350 Diesel Dually

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Captcolour

Excellent point about not being able to hook back up without the leveling system being powered up.... one I hadn't considered. Makes me think that if I were storing my RV somewhere else that it would be a good idea to leave the emergency brake switch unpowered. If someone were to (for any reason) come along and decide to pull the emergency brake switch and walk away you would be in a load of trouble. Reason is that the vehicles brake controller works by proportioning the output voltage to the trailers braking system. In the case of a catastrophic event and the trailer becomes detached from the tow vehicle the trailers battery applies full voltage to the braking system to stop it. When that full voltage is applied for an extended period of time then you end up overheating and burning up the wiring to the brakes, along with the brake switch itself.

I know this because years ago I noticed my TT emergency brake switch cable had started to fray from occasionally dragging on the ground. I got tired of poking my fingers with the sharp wires so I pulled it out and took it into my garage to replace the cable.... never thinking to disconnect the batteries. About 15 minutes later I walk out and turn and look and see smoke billowing from under my camper. After it was all said and done I needed a new switch, new wiring back to the wheels, new wiring through the axles, and one new brake solenoid. It was an expensive lesson to learn.
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IBEW Sparky View Post
    @Captcolour

Excellent point about not being able to hook back up without the leveling system being powered up.... one I hadn't considered. Makes me think that if I were storing my RV somewhere else that it would be a good idea to leave the emergency brake switch unpowered. If someone were to (for any reason) come along and decide to pull the emergency brake switch and walk away you would be in a load of trouble. Reason is that the vehicles brake controller works by proportioning the output voltage to the trailers braking system. In the case of a catastrophic event and the trailer becomes detached from the tow vehicle the trailers battery applies full voltage to the braking system to stop it. When that full voltage is applied for an extended period of time then you end up overheating and burning up the wiring to the brakes, along with the brake switch itself.

I know this because years ago I noticed my TT emergency brake switch cable had started to fray from occasionally dragging on the ground. I got tired of poking my fingers with the sharp wires so I pulled it out and took it into my garage to replace the cable.... never thinking to disconnect the batteries. About 15 minutes later I walk out and turn and look and see smoke billowing from under my camper. After it was all said and done I needed a new switch, new wiring back to the wheels, new wiring through the axles, and one new brake solenoid. It was an expensive lesson to learn.
    With my disc brakes, I bet it would be even more expensive. The electric over hydraulic actuator would run until it either burned up, or my 800 AH battery bank was depleted. The actuator is 1,000.00.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Gainestr, thanks for posting the pics. I spent the day yesterday tracing down all of the wires on the bus bar at the front my my 2021 Reflection 150 260RD. It looks pretty identical to yours, and your pick help me verify what I had found. Thanks. There is one red/white striped wire I can't figure out, but it looks like you have yours labeled as "... HARNESS". I can't read the whole thing because it is blocked by the "EMERGENCY BRAKES" label in your pic. Can you tell me what that wire is labeled as, and where it goes?

Thanks again!

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BretStateham View Post
    @Gainestr, thanks for posting the pics. I spent the day yesterday tracing down all of the wires on the bus bar at the front my my 2021 Reflection 150 260RD. It looks pretty identical to yours, and your pick help me verify what I had found. Thanks. There is one red/white striped wire I can't figure out, but it looks like you have yours labeled as "... HARNESS". I can't read the whole thing because it is blocked by the "EMERGENCY BRAKES" label in your pic. Can you tell me what that wire is labeled as, and where it goes?

Thanks again!
    That red and white wire is the auxiliary power that comes from the 7-way wiring plug when your RV is connected to your truck. It allows your truck to provide a little trickle charge to the RV battery when connected but it can be controversial if you are using LiFePo4 batteries. I believe I have it labeled as "Aux from 7 way harness" but I should have labeled it as "Aux from 7-way plug". Harness is probably the wrong word.

Took me a while to track everything down so I hope I saved you some grief. The biggest issue I ran into was my tank heaters.
    Let me know if I can be of further assistance. Happy traveling!

Tim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks! And here's my diagram.

Thanks a ton Tim! That was it. That actually helped to clear up some other confusion I had as well. Here's a diagram I made to laminate and keep up in my front storage area for reference:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bus Bar Close Up - Labeled - 20231105_145954.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	48754

For some reason, it won't upload a high res version of the image. Here's a link to it on OneDrive:

https://1drv.ms/i/s!Al5K6Hl-Z2ggq-sT...5d6PA?e=YuebgZ
    Last edited by BretStateham; 11-06-2023 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Add image link

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BretStateham View Post
    Thanks a ton Tim! That was it. That actually helped to clear up some other confusion I had as well. Here's a diagram I made to laminate and keep up in my front storage area for reference:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bus Bar Close Up - Labeled - 20231105_145954.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	48754

For some reason, it won't upload a high res version of the image. Here's a link to it on OneDrive:

https://1drv.ms/i/s!Al5K6Hl-Z2ggq-sT...5d6PA?e=YuebgZ
    Nice job. I particularly like the annotation 'positive voltage even though they are black'. It's like GD sets 12vdc traps for people. In my trailer there is even a green wire with a fuse holder in it. Then multiple white wires (Red or White being the std for positive DC wires) connected to frame. Go figure.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    Nice job. I particularly like the annotation 'positive voltage even though they are black'. It's like GD sets 12vdc traps for people. In my trailer there is even a green wire with a fuse holder in it. Then multiple white wires (Red or White being the std for positive DC wires) connected to frame. Go figure.
    Trailers, and more specifically, RV trailers, are the worst wired products on the market in my opinion. It doesn't matter which brand either. It's like they turn a dozen 12 year olds loose in the plants and let them run wires. Atrocious at best.
    2021 Reflection 367BHS
    2009 Dodge 3500 4x4 Longbed MegaCab
    Electrical Engineer/Musician/Rancher
    Habbitial facebook jail inmate and soon to be banned from here

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast