User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my battery disconnect switch the autolevel system still has power too, but it's "on demand" power so no use, no draw.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IBEW Sparky View Post
    Nice job... And now that you have identified everything you can easily move wiring to make your existing battery disconnect switch a "true" battery disconnect switchÂ…
    I guess I took it a step further. Not only do I have a true disconnect now, but I have a few other things integrated as well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6E2CE1F9-47AC-4B3A-A2DF-B05A3F119227.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	37954
    Last edited by Gainestr; 12-01-2021 at 11:29 AM.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gainestr View Post
    I guess I took it a step further. Not only do I have a true disconnect now, but I have a few other things integrated as well.
    Yup you did it right... I truly believe that if you have basic handyman skills and have the ability to read a meter that you can move a few wires around and make the OEM battery disconnect switch just that.... a Battery disconnect switch that does it's job.
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had a "discussion" with a couple people who feel the partial battery disconnect is the way it's supposed to work. A complete battery disconnect is wired incorrectly in their opinion.
    Howard and Peggy

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    I have had a "discussion" with a couple people who feel the partial battery disconnect is the way it's supposed to work. A complete battery disconnect is wired incorrectly in their opinion.
    While it might be the way GD designed it and the way they want it to work... but it's certainly not the way I would want my BDS to work if I were storing my RV somewhere without power hookups. Can you shed some light on why these people feel this way? And what qualifications do they carry... elec engineering, safety, etc ..?
    I'm always open to listen and learn.
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can understand and appreciate the argument but honestly, the only thing that absolutely needs to stay connected is the emergency break. Everything else is just parasitic draw that has no purpose staying powered on. It is CRITICAL that the emergency break always has power FULL STOP.

Once every wire is identified, it’s fairly straightforward to make that disconnect a complete disconnect(excluding the brakes). But, I completely understand why the manufacturers wire things the way they do. I personally don’t like it so I changed it to suit my needs.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IBEW Sparky View Post
    While it might be the way GD designed it and the way they want it to work... but it's certainly not the way I would want my BDS to work if I were storing my RV somewhere without power hookups. Can you shed some light on why these people feel this way? And what qualifications do they carry... elec engineering, safety, etc ..?
    I'm always open to listen and learn.
    They are relying on how they have interpreted the manual from Grand Design. The manual says that "necessary" devices will still be energized when the battery disconnect is switched to the OFF position. They believe the "necessary" devices include the propane detector, CO detector, emergency brake circuit, the autolevel system, and perhaps other things I'm not familiar with. Not sure of actual qualifications. We disagreed because I felt the "Battery Disconnect" switch should disconnect the battery. At least from all parasitic draws. Mine does that and it has been denounced as defective by the aforementioned individuals.
    Howard and Peggy

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My trailer is in my back yard in storage for the winter with the batt switch off. I do turn the switch on, drop the stabilizer legs, put the slides out & sit in it wishing it & myself were somewhere else on occasion. If in storage, the propane & CO detector are no good to anybody, when on, if no one is around to hear them, so mine are off with the switch.
    What's that saying-if a tree falls in the woods & nobody is around to hear it...
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually the new iteration of that saying is "If a man is wrong in the forest and there's no woman around, is he still wrong?"
    Last edited by Hoopy Frood; 12-01-2021 at 09:50 PM.
    Howard and Peggy

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hoopy, that is NOT what I said.
    I actually said that I agreed that a battery disconnect should completely disconnect, and I even installed such a switch on mine.....I just said that according to the Grand Design manual (Page 94 for your Momentum) that they do no not wire them like that....The manual states that ALL safety items will remain operational...... I surmised that it was likely for liability reasons.....You said I was wrong.
    I do not understand why you keep saying things that are not true on a public forum, when what was said by whom can easily be verified by anyone.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast