User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post

Wow. That IMO is a messed up design. I would not own a portable generator that needed a charged battery to operate.
    Perhaps a manual valve could be retrofitted?
    This is only on dual fuel models
    2018 297RSTS
    2018 GMC Denali HD

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any battery the same size and voltage will do, the old battery should have something on it that denotes the group number (size).
    As for not running on gas I would first check for bad gas and pull the float bowl on the carburetor and clean it out.
    My thoughts would be drain the gas out and stick to propane. Much cleaner burn, oil lasts longer and no worries about getting bad gas in it.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    2010 Ram 3500 dually
    Home is where I park it.

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Master IceMan View Post
    OK thanks, I read it that way now.
    But I don't see the size of the current battery, or the batteries I'm searching to indicate "size", so not sure how to make the right decision on that.
    You can pull the battery out and measure it for size. One thing to be cautious of is that often Internet sites list the dimensions of the shipping box instead of the actual battery size.

I am probably going to also need a battery for my Generator the next time I try to use it. I am seriously considering an upgrade to a Lithium battery when I replace it. I think I will also install a complete battery disconnect switch as well.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Page 8 of the manual shows a fuel selection switch. Looks like a manual lever to me. Have you tried to switch to gas using the selector switch?
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

I have a dead generator battery, so the electronic start will not work.
    ...And for some reason, I cannot get the manual pully to start it either.

I tried to trickle charge it but that didn't seem to work.
    ...And I suppose there's no more to hooking up than to place red or red, and black on black?

I also own a heavy duty DieHard jump starter.
    ...But I was afraid if that's maybe too much power ...how would I know?

Thanks!
    Just a heads up, most all portable and pull start generators do not charge the battery while running. And once there dead your pretty much having to buy a new one. I have installed a charger/maintainer on our Onan 6.5 generator that's on whenever the generator is running or we're plugged in.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Just a heads up, most all portable and pull start generators do not charge the battery while running. And once there dead your pretty much having to buy a new one. I have installed a charger/maintainer on our Onan 6.5 generator that's on whenever the generator is running or we're plugged in.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Wow, that just doesn't sound right, that the generator won't charge the battery. Not contradicting exactly, but that just seems really strange. I'm definitely no expert.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So I have the same generator. The batteries are very fickle regardless of brand. If the battery charge gets drained, the battery is toast. It needs to be replaced.

As for the pull start, mine had the same problem. Mine was a dirty carburetor. Left gas in the float bowl over the winter. So dead battery and no pull start. Clean or replace the carburetor ($12 on eBay) and replace the battery and it should be like new. At least that worked for mine. I now run the carburetor dry when I’m not going to use it for a few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2018 Reflection 337RLS
    2019 Ford F-250

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

Remove the battery and measure its length, width, and height, then check with a reputable supplier of Sealed Lead Acid (aka, "gel cell") batteries; I have had great luck with www.batteriesamerica.com for a few decades. Per the generator's parts list, the OEM battery capacity is 7 aH. Using that, or even a battery of the same physical size but 8 or 9 aH, you should be OK. The 8 and 9 aH battery will hold slightly more of a charge.

Bear in mind that engines with electronic ignition systems require at least a minimally charged battery (in reasonably good condition) in order to function and start and run the engine.

As for charging, page 18 covers some of that. Either way, check the battery voltage after several hours' worth of charging. If not at or above 12 volts, it is likely dead.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B947A670-50E1-4F09-890F-89EB8FED8075.jpeg  
    Last edited by Summit1; 11-28-2021 at 11:48 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same generator and had the same problem. Had to get a new battery and now keep it on a trickle charge. Starts any time I need it now.

Champion battery supplied: CPE Auto 12V 7aH 20 hr. Part # 9.1000.070 Size: 5.88"x3.345"x3.7"

I purchased a replacement battery from Walmart: Lumix GC 12V Battery For Champion 3400 3100 Watts Inverter Generator 100261 $47.95

I purchased the trickle float chargers from Amazon: Leicestercn LST 12V Battery Trickle Charger Maintainer Portable Smart Float Charger for Car Motorcycle Lawn Mower SLA AGM GEL CELL WET Lead Acid Batteries $18.37
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Battery 9.1000.070 5.88x3.346x3.701.jpg  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, I was able to start the Generator with jumper cables. However, it does not stay charged after running it for about 1 hour.
    ...Does this mean my battery is really no good?

If so, can I buy any 12V 7Ah / 20 Hr rechargeable sealed lead acid battery ...or do I need to make sure it's compatible with my particular generator, including the physical size to fit into it's place?

And interestingly, when I've jumped started it, the only fuel that works is Propane.
    The Gasoline option does not work.
    ...What might this indicate?
    I've got the 3400 dual fuel. I found out that you CANNOT crank it with the Gas Option. The battery has to be charged and the gas option will only allow electric start, not hand krank. You CAN on the otherhand use the Crank start on the PROPANE option with a dead battery. Just my 2 cents

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123