User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Power question - batteries disconnected, slides won't operate

Just curious if this is a feature, a bug, or just a non-issue. It's not a big deal so I'm just curious.
    I wrapped up winterizing and removed the batteries the other day, putting them in the garage so they don't freeze.
    Needed that one thing I left in one of the kitchen drawers that I can't open without the slides out.
    Plugged in rig to shore 15a power (which always works for fridge, slides, and one AC even) and tried to operate slides. Lights and power is on, but slides won't operate.

Is there a way around this beyond lugging a battery back out to the rig and hooking one up? Seems strange with shore power plugged in.

Thanks!
    Colin & Tracy
    '21 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ/Z71/SRW, Long bed, Anderson UH
    '21 Solitude 310 GK-R

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope, hydraulic driven slides like you have on your Solitude needs a good 12 volt source.

The converter won't put enough 12 volt juice out on its own.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It may be that the converter can’t provide enough power to spin up cold equipment without a battery to help.

BTW, charged batteries won’t freeze until -90F, so no real need to keep them inside. Just keep them charged.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    Nope, hydraulic driven slides like you have on your Solitude needs a good 12 volt source.

The converter won't put enough 12 volt juice out on its own.
    Ah, that's it, thanks. I didn't realize slides run on 12v, but makes sense. Also answers why, when I forgot to pull the battery disconnect and drained the batteries down a few months ago, it took a few minutes after plugging in to shore power before the slides would work.
    Colin & Tracy
    '21 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ/Z71/SRW, Long bed, Anderson UH
    '21 Solitude 310 GK-R

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The slides/hydraulic power have nothing to do with your battery running down. You have other parasitic draws that are doing that. Your slides won't pull any power until they're activated.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM0397 View Post
    Is there a way around this beyond lugging a battery back out to the rig and hooking one up?
    I don't know if it would work, but you might try just plugging into your truck's 7 pin to see if that'd run the slides.
    signature

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjbbrewer View Post
    I don't know if it would work, but you might try just plugging into your truck's 7 pin to see if that'd run the slides.
    I doubt it. The standard 7 pin barely manages to charge the batteries, much less try to power much of anything else. Of course, many have done mods to their truck so that the 7 pin will supply much more current.
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put an ammeter on the hydraulic pump motor circuit on my Momentum, when I was having issues with the breaker tripping when operating the slides and the landing gear. When that motor is running to power the hydraulics, you can pretty easily be pulling right at 70 Amps DC.....so most likely hooking onto the truck's 7 pin will be an effort in futility.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've not done it on my 351, but I have hooked up the truck when the battery was too low to operate the legs to lift the trailer, on our previous toyhauler. It was slow, but it worked. The same hydraulic pump operated the slides and the front legs, but never had to do that to run the slides. So it will operate the legs, but can't say for sure about the slides.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    I've not done it on my 351, but I have hooked up the truck when the battery was too low to operate the legs to lift the trailer, on our previous toyhauler. It was slow, but it worked. The same hydraulic pump operated the slides and the front legs, but never had to do that to run the slides. So it will operate the legs, but can't say for sure about the slides.
    From the net:

The water pump draws between 5 to 7 amps.

What is the amp draw at full load for the Lippert Hydraullic Power Unit?
    Lippert 141111 Hydraulic Power Unit With 2QT Pump Reservoir Kit Model 643150

According to the manufacturer, the motor of this pump assembly is a 100 amp motor. Typical operating amperage is 40-80. Lower voltage will increase the amperage reading. Within tolerance for this motor is 125 amps.

A slide motor from lippert draws up to 15 to 30 amps depending on motor a specs.
    Pierre & Tara

2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2020 GMC Sierra SLE 1500
    1200/12000 Equalizer Hitch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast