User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

395M Bunk Beds are creeping down

Just curious if this has happened to anyone else...our bunks in the garage just started to creep down all of a sudden. Everything was working just fine until this morning when we had to pull out. Needed to leave out site so when I put our Harley in, I lowered the bed and it rests on the rider backrest.

Any ideas on how to correct? Haven't really used the beds since it's just the two of us...we do store light items while traveling and for the most part, it stays in the up posistion.

Thank you in advance.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So when you went to pull out, you noticed the bunks were down? Both the sofa and the upper bunk, or just the sofa? Were the locks engaged? Both sides, or one side more than the other? About the only thing it could be, if the connecting rod is still in position, is the brake is not holding. I don't think there is any adjustment for that, but not really sure.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo58 View Post
    Just curious if this has happened to anyone else...our bunks in the garage just started to creep down all of a sudden. Everything was working just fine until this morning when we had to pull out. Needed to leave out site so when I put our Harley in, I lowered the bed and it rests on the rider backrest.

Any ideas on how to correct? Haven't really used the beds since it's just the two of us...we do store light items while traveling and for the most part, it stays in the up posistion.

Thank you in advance.
    I have two Happi jacs in my 398M.
    The rear one was doing this. The motor brake is controled by a lever. Mine was not fully engaged. I moved the lever to the full on position, and all is well.
    Side note: The shaft attached to the motor is secured with a set screw. Both of mine were loose. If the shaft slips out of place..... Well it is a big mess. Don't ask me how i know. I recommend locktite on the set screw..... Actually Locktite has been part of my RV tool kit for 30 years. RVs constantly have screws loosening up. When I retighten them, I use loctite. Never had a locktite treated screw backout again.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    So when you went to pull out, you noticed the bunks were down? Both the sofa and the upper bunk, or just the sofa? Were the locks engaged? Both sides, or one side more than the other? About the only thing it could be, if the connecting rod is still in position, is the brake is not holding. I don't think there is any adjustment for that, but not really sure.
    Both bunks were down. And from what I can tell, the locks were engaged. As far as a connecting rod or brake, I don't see anything visible that would be obvious. And it's starting to get outside of my expertise. I may end up calling a mobile RV service to take a look. They'll probably have it fixed in seconds.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, like I told Hoopy, I am not comfortable with this, never having to mess with it. I know it's a lazy way out but I think I am going to call an RV service...watch and learn so if it happens again, I can try it.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo58 View Post
    Well, like I told Hoopy, I am not comfortable with this, never having to mess with it. I know it's a lazy way out but I think I am going to call an RV service...watch and learn so if it happens again, I can try it.
    I cannot post pics here.
    PM me your email and I will send you a pic of the motor brake lever.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If both bunks were down, then the cross shaft is most likely okay. If the cross shaft had come loose, one side would drop, not necessarily both. So it would appear that the brake on the back of the motor is not working correctly. It has to have 12V power to operate correctly. It's 12V power is separate from the motor power. So you can have the motor work correctly, but if the brake doesn't get power then it won't release. But if it has power all the time, it won't brake. So you need to check that.
    Howard and Peggy

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The HappiJack brake assembly is a spring loaded brake. The spring holds the brake pad tension on the drum or disc. When the button is pushed, the electromagnet overcomes the force of the spring and the brake is then released and the motor runs, whichever direction that you are trying to run it. As soon as you let off the button/switch, power is removed, the brake spring pressure is applied to the pads and the motor stops turning.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    The HappiJack brake assembly is a spring loaded brake. The spring holds the brake pad tension on the drum or disc. When the button is pushed, the electromagnet overcomes the force of the spring and the brake is then released and the motor runs, whichever direction that you are trying to run it. As soon as you let off the button/switch, power is removed, the brake spring pressure is applied to the pads and the motor stops turning.
    This is true, but there are two separate controls working in conjunction with that button: one for the motor and one for the brake. If the brake stays energized, it won't work to stop the motor. However I don't think that's the problem, I think the brake itself is malfunctioning, maybe a broken spring, jammed or something.
    Howard and Peggy

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since huntindog can't post a photo, here's one of the brake lever on the HappiJack in my unit ..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210819_130634.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	37863

I've already done some of the bulletproofing mentioned in this video ..

And here's a link to a LCI page with some manuals ..

https://happijac.com/bed-lifts.html
    signature

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast