Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post
    They're all somewhat similar in having numbers all over the place, especially on 1 ton SWR's

GM is the farthest along on the 2500's. Ford has also started offering 250's up to 10,800. ​Ram I think, is still limiting to 10k but they also have completely different suspension system from the 2500 to 3500

On 1 ton SWR Ford runs from 10,100 to 12,400, with most powerstrokes in the mid 11's and 7.3's +/- 11k. https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/content...ty_PU_Dec3.pdf

I think GM tops out at 12,250 and Ram at 12,300 with a similar spread

All current DWR's are 14K. The F450 is significantly de-rated. Equivalent 350's will have 4-600lbs more payload than a 450. That's the craziest of all, a much more capable truck but with lower specs. The Gov. needs to update the truck classes to better reflect today's trucks.
    True, but that's why I said mostly. Ford has other options (like the unicorn heavy tow package F150) but rarely do you see the other offerings in the wild. Same with Ram. Never in the thousands of GVWR I've seen in person have I come across a Ram 2500 with anything but a 10K GVWR. GM trucks I have seen several of the various GVWR in person. I still don't understand the reasoning but assume it has to do with how they are ordered from factory.

The weight class ratings by the government do need to be updated, but it's money and regulation so...

People don't believe me about the F450 having less payload than a F350 on paper or that the F450 can tow a heavier GVW trailer than many of the F550+ Medium Duty trucks on paper due to GCVWR (not more payload, more towing capacity)... which doesn't matter because 5th Wheel maxes at 32.5k any way... it's stupid how the numbers don't really make sense but you better know them if you're running commercial.

Full Timing Family
    2021 Momentum 395MS-R
    2021 Ford F450 King Ranch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Texas.Yankee View Post
    GM trucks I have seen several of the various GVWR in person. I still don't understand the reasoning but assume it has to do with how they are ordered from factory.
    I think its because they are now following the 1 ton formula unless you de-rate. Engine/cab/bed/drive adjustments to keep a similar payload number. diesel>gas, 4x4>4x2, etc.

The weight class ratings by the government do need to be updated, but it's money and regulation so...
    Truth!

People don't believe me about the F450 having less payload than a F350 on paper
    One of the biggest examples ever of the Gov regulation making absolutely no sense!

it's stupid how the numbers don't really make sense but you better know them if you're running commercial.
    Another example! Professional drivers/trucks = big trouble if you so much as a pound overweight. Someone who has ever pulled so much as a U-Haul trailer can slap a 40' triple axel toy hauler to a 3/4 ton= No problem at all!

(and I'm not even a member of the weight police)
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I strongly suspect the truck has a derate on it, likely a 9990 derate, which is what my 250 had on it to get under the limits in SC. The taxes in SC are almost double once you go over 10K (which recently change to 11K, IIRC), so almost all 250's had a derate on them. My 250, a 2019 King Ranch had a payload that was close to that of my 150. Given the massive differences between the trucks, that was, of course, patently ridiculous, but, is what it is. No way to "re-rate" after they slap the 9990 sticker on it, and basically towing anything on a kingpin or GN is going to put you over on a derated 250.

So silly, and designed entirely to skirt taxation. That said, I do get it, my 450 was close to 4K a year in tax! If you could derate it to 9990, that number would fall to ~2K/yr.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
    Go the "Ram truck" website and you can find the page to look up by VIN or by make/model, etc. But the VIN is most accurate. My door sticker reflects what the VIN lookup shows.
    Thanks, I tried but I guess it is just for USA market VIN's. I'm in Canada and that site says my VIN doesn't exist.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post
    Almost guarantee that truck was ordered with the de-rated 10K GVWR.
    If it was ordered that way, it would have been at 9900 lbs vs 10,000, so just 100 lbs difference. That wouldn't explain such a low payload number.
    2016 Chevy Silverado LT Duramax
    2022 Reflection 295RL, after owning 2 Rockwood 8289's

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    De-rated looks to be the case. Based on page 598 of vin card link, 4th digit being a "1" is a GVWR 9-10k and confirmed by similar truck with a "0" as the 4th digit.

Standard GVWR on 2500 is between 10,150# - 11,550# based on various configurations. 1200# - 1600# difference added to 1697# puts this in line with what others are seeing in the 2500 size.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2500 GVWR.PNG 
Views:	49 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	37860
    2020 GMC 3500 Denali SRW SB Duramax 4x4
    2021 Reflection 31MB Goosebox 16k

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *** Post deleted as to not offed anyone ***
    Last edited by 4x4dually; 11-24-2021 at 08:24 AM.
    2021 Reflection 367BHS
    2009 Dodge 3500 4x4 Longbed MegaCab
    Electrical Engineer/Musician/Rancher
    Habbitial facebook jail inmate and soon to be banned from here

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4x4dually View Post
    So, OEMs derate payloads on stickers to avoid taxes....what the hell is wrong with this country? Our government has become so dayum stupid that they can just change a number on a 15 cent sticker and avoid the extra tax? That's plain ignorance on both sides of the fence. I feel really bad leaving this place to my kids someday. They are all screwed.
    It's not for the manufacturer to avoid taxes, it's for the end consumer to avoid paying higher registration fees and taxes (depending on jurisdiction). Most municipalities charge taxes/registration based off GVWR. The higherthe GVWR, the higher the fees. In Texas I pay more to register the trailer than truck because higher GVWR on the trailer. Some municipalities even force higher GVWR to be considered a commercial vehicle and thus can charge even more.

Full Timing Family
    2021 Momentum 395MS-R
    2021 Ford F450 King Ranch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So...all this to say, that when it comes to payload, and especially on the particular truck I pointed out in the original picture, it's not all that important, because this one is an arbitrary one anyhow. One should pay closer attention to the axle ratings and actual tire ratings and be sure to be within those limits.
    In the jurisdiction where this truck is located, the law states that a truck over 10,000 gvw must have a safety inspection annually, so dealers will sometimes order trucks in de-rated to 9900 gvw to get around that requirement. Had this dealer not done that, that particular truck may have a gvw closer to say the 11000 mark and it's true payload would be considerably higher.
    2016 Chevy Silverado LT Duramax
    2022 Reflection 295RL, after owning 2 Rockwood 8289's

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a shell game.
    2021 Reflection 367BHS
    2009 Dodge 3500 4x4 Longbed MegaCab
    Electrical Engineer/Musician/Rancher
    Habbitial facebook jail inmate and soon to be banned from here

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast