User Tag List

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffD68 View Post
    I have owned a number of F-150s over the years. None of them inspired confidence as they approached (or exceeded) their limits. That isn't to say they weren't capable trucks, but it was apparent from the driver's seat that their stated limits were in line with their practical limits. Much of that is due to their lower weight and shorter wheel base compared to the two 8000 pound, crew cab, long bed F-250s I've owned. My current truck with my 12000 pound GVW fifth wheel in tow is operated at well over it's stickered payload but under all other stated limits and it is the most comfortable and stable towing experience I have ever had. It does not feel like it has come close to reaching it's practical limits. My 2016 F-150 3.5 EB was paired with a 30 foot, 7500 pound travel trailer that was front heavy and had a 1200 pound tongue weight. I was running slightly over the stickered payload and the experience was acceptable, but not 100% confidence inspiring like my current set up.

It looks like you have ordered yourself one loaded pickup! I'm sure it will be a great match for your current trailer.
    Thanks. I was on the fence as to whether I should stay with an F150 but the Powerboost caught my eye among other things. And I'm just hoping that towing 6000# with that truck will be adequate. If not, maybe the market will still be hot enough that I would be able to sell it and upgrade to something heavier duty without losing my butt. But I really want the F150 to be everything I'm hoping for...
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    Comparing a 5th wheel vs a TT for towing regardless of the truck, the 5th wheel will win hands down.
    Not necessarily true, Grasshopper.

With a Hensley or a ProPride, there is little, if any, difference from towing a fifth wheel.

Having towed a 36' 5th wheel with a Reese 16K and my current 34' Travel Trailer with a Hensley, I much prefer the TT/Hensley.

It is not buffeted, at all, and that was not so with the fiver.
    2023 Reflection 315RLTS
    2017 Ford F-350 Crew Cab Short Bed SRW, 6.7L Diesel
    Hensley Swift Arrow

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Najataagihe View Post
    Not necessarily true, Grasshopper.

With a Hensley or a ProPride, there is little, if any, difference from towing a fifth wheel.

Having towed a 36' 5th wheel with a Reese 16K and my current 34' Travel Trailer with a Hensley, I much prefer the TT/Hensley.

It is not buffeted, at all, and that was not so with the fiver.
    True BTDT with a used HA. Yeah it towed really good. But anytime you have to add $3400 worth of WDH to make a TT tow like a 5er means that a TT in inherently inferior. A 5er needs no form of WDH to tow properly which I guess was my point.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're 8 pages into this but hopefully those who are looking for data points are still reading. For those who live in MN, it's a lesser known fact that purchasing a 1 ton will cost less in registration fees than their little brother 3/4 ton or 1/2 ton trucks. 1 ton non-commercial trucks have a flat rate of $135 per year. The same 3/4 ton or 1/2 ton will likely start at $600+ per year and gradually lower. It basically costs less to own a 1 ton than the comparable 3/4 ton. Also in MN when you buy a 1 ton, you have the option of going 10k, 12k or 15k gvw stickers on your plates. I'm not talking the door sticker but sticker applied to your plates. There is zero cost difference between the three ratings. Most of the time the dealer simply orders the sticker that closely matches the door sticker. But you can ask for a different rating if you so choose. My in-laws have an F-350 that's virtually the same as my Ram 3500 but his plates show 10k and mine are 12K. Does it matter? Seemingly not. As many have said you see vehicles ridiculously overloaded or in many cases here in MN, over total length and they're never questioned. Lots of double towing. Long fifthwheels with big trailers or boats behind them.

I guess all that to say if you're in MN a 1 ton might be your most viable option for low registration fees and more payload availability.
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch ISR Version
    Predator 3500W Inverter Generator
    2017 Ram 3500 Mega cab SRW w/6.4L Hemi, Ramboxes, Active Air Rear Suspension
    2017 Aluma 8214HS
    2015 Lund Crossover 1775 XS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really?

Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    True BTDT with a used HA. Yeah it towed really good. But anytime you have to add $3400 worth of WDH to make a TT tow like a 5er means that a TT in inherently inferior. A 5er needs no form of WDH to tow properly which I guess was my point.
    Inherently inferior?

Hardly.

By the way, the difference between the cost of the Hensley and the cost of the cheapest 5th Wheel hitch on etrailer is only $1900.

The difference between the cost of my travel trailer and a comparable 5th wheel more than makes up the difference - by, at least, $7000.

I can travel a long way, in more comfort, with no chucking and fewer clearance problems, for $7000.

Neither design is inherently inferior to the other one, just different.

I guess MY point is: get the right setup for whatever you tow.

Then, TRAVEL!
    2023 Reflection 315RLTS
    2017 Ford F-350 Crew Cab Short Bed SRW, 6.7L Diesel
    Hensley Swift Arrow

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I'd have to disagree, you can drop almost any 5th wheel hitch in a truck, hook up to a 5th wheel, basically any size that isn't too heavy for the truck, and it will pull fine with no swaying. The same can't be said for a bumperpull trailer. Rarely, I've never seen one, do you see a 5th wheel wagging behind a vehicle like you do a bumperpull, and I have seen a lot of those. I feel that the bumperpull requires more equipment for it to be pulled safely, and comfortably. And, I believe, the margin for error with tongue weight vs. hitch weight is much higher with a 5th wheel. JMO of course.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678