Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Shaw Direct Satellite

If this is the wrong spot, please move…
    I purchased a new Shaw Direct Satellite in April of this year. It’s a Winegard automatic seek one on the roof.
    I came down to the states being told that I “won’t have a problem” getting signal as I have the upgraded unit.
    Well, it worked in Montana, Utah, but now I’m in Quartzsite with no Shaw. I can’t even get the darn thing to peak or locate a satellite. All it does is go round and round. I’ve been on the phone with Winegard who said I needed to contact Shaw, wiphich I did. I have now been on the phone for close to 2 hours and the “help desk” keeps telling me they’ll send a technician to my house in Canada! She just doesn’t get it that I’m in the US using a dish on my trailer. I’ve been waiting for almost 40 minutes to talk to her supervisor and am just about ready to scream.
    The satellite guy here in Quartzsite says this “another” issue they’ve started having with Shaw in the last little while. Although most people can lock on by using the options 47A and shutting it down manually when picture shows. I don’t even get that…just the damn thing going round and round.
    Long and shirt, once again, I believe Shaw has screwed us all over again! Not impressed!
    Im on the phone now with the supervisor, we’ll see what happens.
    Anyone else having this issue?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First things first. You have to realize that Shaw is not authorized to provide satellite services is the US. If they find you are in the US they will likely refuse to provide you with any support. At the worst, they can shut you down completely. You're basically on your own.
    Second. Shaw uses 2 satellites to provide their content. Anik F2 and Anik G1. F2 is the older satellite and provides coverage well down into Mexico. G2 coverage only extends slightly south of the Can/US border. Shaw splits their channels between the 2 satellites.
    Third. Shaw has several types of LNBF's they use on their dishes. As you were getting some content on your way south, your LNBF was at least seeing one satellite.
    Fourth. What receiver are you using? Does it use a single coax or 2? Is it a PVR? If it only uses a single cable, make sure your receiver is tuned to a station on the F2 satellite when you activate the dish. You can get a list of channels on F2 here > https://www.lyngsat.com/packages/Sha...111W_chno.html.
    Finally. When tuned to the signal strength screen; the one with the red/green bargraphs, do you see anything or is it at zero all the time? Does the leftmost part of the bar ever turn green or is it amber/red all the time. If it is red all the time, you likely have a bad connection between the receiver and the dish.
    Shaw on Anik F2 does work down here just fine.
    Good luck.
    Rob, Chris and fur baby Maya - Follow us at rctravels.rmcd.ca
    2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, Cerbo GX, 6x Battle Born 100AH, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink
    2023 GMC Sierra Duramax Denali 4x4 DRW Longbox Crew Cab, Curt Q25

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! Lots of information! Thanks so much for it all!
    I got most of what you said.
    I did call Shaw, and Winegard directly.
    Your first point…Shaw knew I was travelling in the states, and was still willing to assist, not once did the supervisor state being out of country was not allowed. He just stated he had done what he could (all his checks verified that I have low signal), and if it was better, would get something. However, once again, they say the issue is Winegard, and vice versa…frustrating
    Second point - knew this.
    Third point - copy that.
    Fourth point- it only has a single coax in back and yes, I am tuned to one of the channels indicated on the chart.
    Fifth- when it’s searching, the left bar graph only shows green, and currently I have “zero” all the time.
    If I did get something on the numbers chart, I would be able to force stop the process and be able watch a majority of the channels, but no go.
    Finally, I tried manual operation to tune to first 107…nada, then 111…again nada.
    Based on this I’ve decided to try the satellite guy here in Quartzsite for a “house call”…maybe I’ll get lucky at it will wind up being the LNB itself. Fingers crossed! Cheers!

First things first. You have to realize that Shaw is not authorized to provide satellite services is the US. If they find you are in the US they will likely refuse to provide you with any support. At the worst, they can shut you down completely. You're basically on your own.
    Second. Shaw uses 2 satellites to provide their content. Anik F2 and Anik G1. F2 is the older satellite and provides coverage well down into Mexico. G2 coverage only extends slightly south of the Can/US border. Shaw splits their channels between the 2 satellites.
    Third. Shaw has several types of LNBF's they use on their dishes. As you were getting some content on your way south, your LNBF was at least seeing one satellite.
    Fourth. What receiver are you using? Does it use a single coax or 2? Is it a PVR? If it only uses a single cable, make sure your receiver is tuned to a station on the F2 satellite when you activate the dish. You can get a list of channels on F2 here > https://www.lyngsat.com/packages/Sha...111W_chno.html.
    Finally. When tuned to the signal strength screen; the one with the red/green bargraphs, do you see anything or is it at zero all the time? Does the leftmost part of the bar ever turn green or is it amber/red all the time. If it is red all the time, you likely have a bad connection between the receiver and the dish.
    Shaw on Anik F2 does work down here just fine.
    Good luck.[/QUOTE]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting. We are just West of you at Joshua Tree and getting decent signal with our WinGuard Trav'ler.
    The fact you are seeing green at the left of the sig strength graph indicates the LNBF is at least getting power.
    I don't suppose you carry a portable?
    Be interested to see what the 'guy' finds tomorrow.
    -Rob-
    2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, Cerbo GX, 6x Battle Born 100AH, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KamFlyer View Post
    Interesting. We are just West of you at Joshua Tree and getting decent signal with our WinGuard Trav'ler.
    The fact you are seeing green at the left of the sig strength graph indicates the LNBF is at least getting power.
    I don't suppose you carry a portable?
    Be interested to see what the 'guy' finds tomorrow.
    -Rob-
    "Just" west? It's at least 150 miles between Quartzsite & Joshua Tree.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kilometers maybe, not miles.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wandering5thwheelers View Post
    If this is the wrong spot, please move…
    I purchased a new Shaw Direct Satellite in April of this year. It’s a Winegard automatic seek one on the roof.
    I came down to the states being told that I “won’t have a problem” getting signal as I have the upgraded unit.
    Well, it worked in Montana, Utah, but now I’m in Quartzsite with no Shaw. I can’t even get the darn thing to peak or locate a satellite. All it does is go round and round. I’ve been on the phone with Winegard who said I needed to contact Shaw, wiphich I did. I have now been on the phone for close to 2 hours and the “help desk” keeps telling me they’ll send a technician to my house in Canada! She just doesn’t get it that I’m in the US using a dish on my trailer. I’ve been waiting for almost 40 minutes to talk to her supervisor and am just about ready to scream.
    The satellite guy here in Quartzsite says this “another” issue they’ve started having with Shaw in the last little while. Although most people can lock on by using the options 47A and shutting it down manually when picture shows. I don’t even get that…just the damn thing going round and round.
    Long and shirt, once again, I believe Shaw has screwed us all over again! Not impressed!
    Im on the phone now with the supervisor, we’ll see what happens.
    Anyone else having this issue?
    As I’m not a Shaw customer (Bell), all I can add is that (as you probably know), you need a clear line of sight to the satellite, no obstructions from trees, buildings etc. For this reason I use a tripod mounted dish and 100’ of cable so I can move it to provide an unobstructed view.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungy View Post
    As I’m not a Shaw customer (Bell), all I can add is that (as you probably know), you need a clear line of sight to the satellite, no obstructions from trees, buildings etc. For this reason I use a tripod mounted dish and 100’ of cable so I can move it to provide an unobstructed view.
    +1.... we use a Playmaker for our Dish viewing with the same number feet of cable. We use the free Satelite Finder Pro app on an android to place the Playmaker in the clear.

But would agree that at some point a tripod mounted dish might make sense. I just don't like fiddling with my "sniffer" equipment anymore finding the best strength.... been there done that.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We also use a portable on a tripod when we are screened by trees. One thing I have found that works well when tuning the portable is a couple of Apple devices and their FaceTime app. Point one at the TV tuned to the signal strength screen and use the other outside to dial in the dish. Much easier than trying to do it by yelling out numbers through an open window Not sure if Android has something similar.
    Also I use the SatFinder app for finding my clear line of sight to the birds.