User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I upgraded the axles on our previous fifth wheel. If you do any automotive work and have a few tools, It's very easy to do yourself.
    I bought a few 4x4x8's and cut them up for cribbing to support the trailer by the frame close to the spring perches.
    Measure axle locations from front of frame, and diagonally to the front of frame.
    Then disconnect the brake wires, undo the u-bolts and slide the axles out the side. A helper would be advantageous here - I did it by myself.
    Slide in new axle, attach NEW u-bolts, do not tighten, and reconnect wires.
    Repeat for second axle.
    Confirm measurements of new axles with numbers you took off old axles. It will be close, you have very little available adjustment.
    Torque the new u-bolts.
    Done.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Replacement of Springs, Axles and Brakes

In the process of finishing up replacing the springs, 7k axles and drum brakes on our 372-WB. All that is left is to install the brake lines. We owned the Solitude about one year and the springs went flat. Also, the brakes were never more than hope and a prayer. New suspension is RoadMaster slipper springs. New 8k axles and disk brakes from Performance Trailer Braking. Pictures show new brakes with and without the Centramatic wheel balancers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1774.jpg   IMG_1775.jpg  
    Jon & Melanie
    Dover, DE
    2019 Solitude 372WB-R
    2023 GMC 3500

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice work, looks great! Please let us know how you like it when you get a chance to drive, be really curious, especially on the slippers!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interested to hear how the slipper springs work.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @JonSr. That looks like an excellent upgrade - nice work! I also would be really curious to hear how that system works out for you. How wide are the leaf springs on the 8k RoadMaster system? Do you need new hangers installed?

Interestingly I reached out to my local trailer shop that I'm working with to do my upgrades (not an RV-specific place - they do HD dump/cargo trailers also) and they felt the RoadMaster Slipper system was still under built in their opinion for what I'm after (long term travel). They are recommending I upgrade to a 2.5" wide slipper-style leaf spring system (correctly rated for the loads I'm carrying of course), with added shock absorbers. Obviously this will require all new hangers to be installed, which I am OK with if that is the right move. Just wondering all of your thoughts on that suggestion?

Thanks!
    2020 Ford F-350 XLT DRW Long Box w/ 6.7 Diesel & 3.55 Gear Ratio
    B&W Turnoverball Goose Ball Hitch
    2021 Reflection 367BHS w/ Reese Goose Box 20k

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello again! I have finally worked through the options with my local trailer shop, and have come to a midway compromise that I think fits both the budget and the desire to have a more robust system overall. They are recommending:

- Axles upgraded to 8k
    - Oil bath bearings (instead of greased)
    - New (larger) electric drum brakes (included with the axles)
    - Add shocks to both axles to dampen the bounce
    - Re-Use existing leaf springs and CRE 3000 equalizers (all in good condition/not bent)
    - Reinforce existing spring hangers by boxing in open ends, as well as welding in cross members to connect the spring hangers side-to-side

Overall I'm happy with this plan and think it will give me a nice added safety and load margin with moderate improvements to ride with the shocks.

The one question I have related to my existing wheels/tires. Our Reflection came with 16" wheels (8 x 6.5" bolt pattern). The studs that they mount to are 1/2" diameter. The new 8k axles are going to have 5/8" studs. They have quoted me to upgrade to 17.5" steel wheels (ugly) and new tires, which I would prefer not to do, as I like the wheels and have near new Sailun S637 G-rated tires on them. Can the mounting holes be modified to receive the larger studs? The OEM alloy wheels have steel inserts around the bolt openings & I wasn't sure if these can be swapped out to accommodate the new size?

Thanks all for your help on this one!

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jm_bc_ View Post
    Hello again! I have finally worked through the options with my local trailer shop, and have come to a midway compromise that I think fits both the budget and the desire to have a more robust system overall. They are recommending:

- Axles upgraded to 8k
    - New (larger) electric drum brakes (included with the axles)
    - Add shocks to both axles to dampen the bounce
    - Re-Use existing leaf springs and CRE 3000 equalizers (all in good condition/not bent)
    - Reinforce existing spring hangers by boxing in open ends, as well as welding in cross members to connect the spring hangers side-to-side

Overall I'm happy with this plan and think it will give me a nice added safety and load margin with moderate improvements to ride with the shocks.

The one question I have related to my existing wheels/tires. Our Reflection came with 16" wheels (8 x 6.5" bolt pattern). The studs that they mount to are 1/2" diameter. The new 8k axles are going to have 5/8" studs. They have quoted me to upgrade to 17.5" steel wheels (ugly) and new tires, which I would prefer not to do, as I like the wheels and have near new Sailun S637 G-rated tires on them. Can the mounting holes be modified to receive the larger studs? The OEM alloy wheels have steel inserts around the bolt openings & I wasn't sure if these can be swapped out to accommodate the new size?

Thanks all for your help on this one!
    I do not think so....If you can, it is likely gonna cost so much as to not be a viable option. But stepping up in axles means stepping up in tiires as well.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being what prices are these days it might be better just to order a unit with the 8K disk brake option. Cost is about 8K $ when we ordered the option on our triple axle last January. If you have the budget, that is what I would consider and it might be faster than a conversion ( I hear they are backed up with work). mark

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wanted to provide an update, as I had the majority of the work finally completed last week. Here is what was done:

- Axles upgraded to 8k
    - New (larger) electric drum brakes - still 12 1/4" but substantially wider
    - Re-Used existing leaf springs and CRE 3000 equalizers (all in good condition/not bent)
    - Reinforce existing spring hangers - steel "C" channel welded to front of front spring hanger, and back of rear hanger. Opposite sides of those spring hangers were closed in with welded steel plate. Round tube welded between centre spring hangers (the ones with the equalizer).
    - Everything got a fresh coat of undercoat paint.

Still to come are shocks - my local trailer shop couldn't source a solution that didn't run up inside the underbelly, so I opted for the Roadmaster add-on shock system, which I may install myself. Currently on order and should arrive next week: https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lea...r/RM-2470.html

Pics attached for reference below!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1 (1).jpeg 
Views:	16 
Size:	472.1 KB 
ID:	39124Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpeg 
Views:	14 
Size:	519.1 KB 
ID:	39125Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3 (1).jpeg 
Views:	15 
Size:	466.6 KB 
ID:	39126Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpeg 
Views:	15 
Size:	341.6 KB 
ID:	39127Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.jpeg 
Views:	14 
Size:	404.7 KB 
ID:	39128

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123