User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are 500lb over your GVWR, you will still be 500lb over your GVWR with new 8K axles and upgraded leaf springs. The VIN sticker numbers will still be the same and that's what DOT and insurance company will use as their reference in case of an accident. Not sure how easy or even possible to re-certify the unit to reflect the new setup. Just want you to be aware of this.
    2020 F350 Platinum, 6.7L PowerStroke, 10spd, SRW, Long bed
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R - Platinum FBP, DPW, 8K axles & disc brakes, 3rd AC/heat, MorRyde tray, SeeLevelII, Victron MultiplusII, 3xSmartSolar, CerboGX Touch50, 2xBattleborn GC3
    HAM call VA7SVG http://visitednorthamericamap.com/im...AZCAORWAsm.jpg

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't care two hoots about upgrading the paper, I'm more interested in real world numbers. I assume Dexter rates their axles for a reason, and to exceed those numbers may not be wise. Springs and axles are rated for 7,000 lbs., and I'm 500 lbs. over 14,000 lbs. If I ever wanted to carry fresh water, I'd be waaaay over the axle and spring ratings. The tires are good to 16,000 lbs., so I'm entertaining the thought of upgrading so the axles and springs will be too. The trailer has the option of 8,000 lb. axles so the frame should be good for overall weight.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Don't care two hoots about upgrading the paper, I'm more interested in real world numbers. I assume Dexter rates their axles for a reason, and to exceed those numbers may not be wise. Springs and axles are rated for 7,000 lbs., and I'm 500 lbs. over 14,000 lbs. If I ever wanted to carry fresh water, I'd be waaaay over the axle and spring ratings. The tires are good to 16,000 lbs., so I'm entertaining the thought of upgrading so the axles and springs will be too. The trailer has the option of 8,000 lb. axles so the frame should be good for overall weight.
    Also GD in most cases (all?) increases the GVWR when the unit is optioned with 8K axles.

On another note: This would be the time to upgrade the brakes to discs. I know it will add to the bill, but rather than paying for drums again, paying for the discs just makes more sense.... And the performance difference is simply astounding. It truly is a game changer.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I luckily saw a thread by someone about the exact same problem you have, but on a 320G. Any water with a toy in it, would exceed the axle weight. Same time, GD had just started to offer the 8K axle upgrade, so I jumped on it, and had it done on the production line, which gives me the 18K GVWR instead of the 16.8K. Like you know, can't get the sticker redone afterwards, but using the same parts, I would have no problem using it at the same weights as the higher "sticker" one. All that lawsuit stuff everyone keeps talking about, is talk, unless there is negligence.

FYI, the factory upgrade runs the 17.5" Cooper Roadmaster tires (ST 215/75R17.5) that are rated at 4,800 lbs.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the information, I wondered about the 17.5 inch tires, since I had read conflicting information about them. Some said they were optional with the 8,000 lb. axles and other said the came as part of the package.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the information, I wondered about the 17.5 inch tires, since I had read conflicting information about them. Some said they were optional with the 8,000 lb. axles and other said the came as part of the package.
    Standard with the package, along with the disc brakes. The spare is a Westlake (same size).

First trailer with disc brakes, and what a difference, night and day difference.
    Last edited by Wileykid; 11-26-2021 at 08:14 AM.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12