User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I need suggestions/advice

I have a 2021 Solitude with the WFCO WF-T57 Transfer switch and I’m installing a hardwired surge protector/EPO.

Today, I was removing the red, black, white & ground wires. Well, I should say I was trying to remove them. I got 3 of the 4 off. One of the wires was torqued down at the factory at an ungodly torque setting. The screw is extremely stripped, from the factory, and me after today.

Very little room in there, but I’m stumped and mad. What should’ve been an extremely easy job has now turned into a royal PITA because someone torqued the screw down at and ungodly torque setting. Three of the four unscrewed very easily. As I would have expected it.

Any suggestions on how I could possibly get it out??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Matt, Trish, Conner & Ethan
    2022 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 Ram 3500 Laramie
    Both Retired USAF

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjlebsa View Post
    I have a 2021 Solitude with the WFCO WF-T57 Transfer switch and I’m installing a hardwired surge protector/EPO.

Today, I was removing the red, black, white & ground wires. Well, I should say I was trying to remove them. I got 3 of the 4 off. One of the wires was torqued down at the factory at an ungodly torque setting. The screw is extremely stripped, from the factory, and me after today.

Very little room in there, but I’m stumped and mad. What should’ve been an extremely easy job has now turned into a royal PITA because someone torqued the screw down at and ungodly torque setting. Three of the four unscrewed very easily. As I would have expected it.

Any suggestions on how I could possibly get it out??

Hate to say it, but a screw extractor is probably going to be the only way. Screw X-Tractor Damaged Screw Extractor Kit and Stripped Screw Extractor Set. Its A HassleFree Broken Bolt Extractor and Screw Remover Set https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GZ17QD9...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    Hate to say it, but a screw extractor is probably going to be the only way. Screw X-Tractor Damaged Screw Extractor Kit and Stripped Screw Extractor Set. Its A HassleFree Broken Bolt Extractor and Screw Remover Set https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GZ17QD9...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    What I thought [emoji2361]

2022 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 Ram 3500 Laramie
    Both Retired USAF

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My suggestion is to cut the wire and restrip it. Save yourself the time. I doubt a quarter of an inch or so will hurt it.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    My suggestion is to cut the wire and restrip it.
    This is the route I would take.

With large stranded wire bending it back and forth a couple times will reduce the pressure on the set screw as it 'sets' into the lug, but if the screw is already stripped, cutting it off is your best option.
    Last edited by Scott'n'Wendy; 11-25-2021 at 05:36 AM.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    This is the route I would take.

With large stranded wire bending it back and forth a couple times will reduce the pressure on the set screw as it 'sets' into the lug, but if the screw is already stripped, cutting it off is your best option.
    Thanks, I’ll give that a try. At this point, the screw is beyond saving. I’m going to have to figure out if there’s anything special about the screw or if it’s just a standard screw.

2022 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 Ram 3500 Laramie
    Both Retired USAF

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked at the manual for this transfer switch and it looks as if the screws you are referring to are Phillips head, and you are talking about the terminal strip. Right?

The manual states:

"Torque terminal strip lugs and Ground block terminals
    to 35 in-lb maximum. Caution: over torquing will cause wire and screw damage."

Even if you get the screw out it sounds like there is a possibility that the terminal strip may be damaged at this point by over tightening. Hopefully not.

What about removing the transfer switch from the trailer so it will be easier to work on. I like the idea of wiggling the wire around to see if it will take pressure off the set screw. If not, how about cutting the wire and carefully drilling out the wire strands to accomplish the same.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    I looked at the manual for this transfer switch and it looks as if the screws you are referring to are Phillips head, and you are talking about the terminal strip. Right?

The manual states:

"Torque terminal strip lugs and Ground block terminals
    to 35 in-lb maximum. Caution: over torquing will cause wire and screw damage."

Even if you get the screw out it sounds like there is a possibility that the terminal strip may be damaged at this point by over tightening. Hopefully not.

What about removing the transfer switch from the trailer so it will be easier to work on. I like the idea of wiggling the wire around to see if it will take pressure off the set screw. If not, how about cutting the wire and carefully drilling out the wire strands to accomplish the same.
    Thanks for the info. So an update. I got it out finally by wiggling the wires and putting an easy out screw extractor on it. Whoever installed it, was WAY above the recommended 35 inch pounds. Luckily, the threads were not damaged so I took the screw to my workbench and ground a new groove into it so I could get a straight head screwdriver on it and get it torqued down to the 35 maximum inch pounds.

2022 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 Ram 3500 Laramie
    Both Retired USAF

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    take a small dremel tool and grind a new slot for a flat head screwdriver. then remove the screw.