User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I modified Tito's method when I installed my 6 Renogy 175W panels on my Solitude 310GK. I used the 1/2" channel to mount the panels to the roof, under the panels I installed a 1/2" Twin Wall Polycarbonate Panel under the solar panel for heat dissipation, and used 1/2x1/2 aluminum angle along the long edge of the panel to securely hold the panel to the channel.
    I completed a 4000+ mile trip out west in September, and I had no issues with the panels' attachment method, and my solar worked perfectly in the AZ, UT, and FL heat. I do not have any pictures handy at the moment, but will gladly supply them if requested.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0088.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	38008

mark
    Last edited by applewpb; 12-04-2021 at 08:34 PM.
    Mark and Rebecca
    2021 Solitude 310GK
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited CrewCab 8 Ft. Bed 6.7 HO 4wd B&W Companion Hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by applewpb View Post
    I modified Tito's method when I installed my 6 Renogy 175W panels on my Solitude 310GK. I used the 1/2" channel to mount the panels to the roof, under the panels I installed a 1/2" Twin Wall Polycarbonate Panel under the solar panel for heat dissipation, and used 1/2x1/2 aluminum angle along the long edge of the panel to securely hold the panel to the channel.
    I completed a 4000+ mile trip out west in September, and I had no issues with the panels' attachment method, and my solar worked perfectly in the AZ, UT, and FL heat. I do not have any pictures handy at the moment, but will gladly supply them if requested.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0088.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	38008

mark
    Very close to what I was thinking I’d do. Did you screw you track down to the roof or just use adhesive/sealant to attach them. Depending on my stud spacing where I will attach them I’ll screw mine down with sealant. Do you think the leading piece of angle is necessary to keep it from flopping due to road wind?
    2021 Imagine 2500RL
    2019 Ram Rebel

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I screwed the channel down to the plywood roof, but embedded the channel in a bead of Dycor. I use the aluminum angle to hold the sides of the panel down tight to the channel by drilling holes in the angle where they meet the bolts holding the panel to the channel. As far as the panels flopping in the wind, I have not had any issues with that happening, on the front of the panel I ran a piece of angle with holes drilled across the face to allow for air passage thru the polycarbonate panel material. It is fairly simple, but has worked well for me in my travels. The key for me was using the aluminum angles on the sides.

Mark
    Mark and Rebecca
    2021 Solitude 310GK
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited CrewCab 8 Ft. Bed 6.7 HO 4wd B&W Companion Hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
    My plan at the moment is to either mount them on t-track that’s attached to the roof or make some custom mounts out of HDPE plastic that will hold bolts much like Brian/Tito did with his mounts.
    Jammer, there's a huge difference between Tito's roof and yours. His Class A/C is a fiberglass roof. Using VHB and Lap Sealant is much more feasible on that style. Using the same method on a TPO roof could be catastrophic. You would only have everything attached to a thin piece of rubber that is merely tacked down to the plywood underneath.

Stick with your plan of screwing everything down...

Best of luck with your install!
    Last edited by Boom 'r Bust; 12-15-2021 at 06:53 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12