User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just purchased 2022 imagine xls 21bhe has solar package

Does anyone own similar model or understand the system and what it comes with exactly?
    Just bought the trailer today site unseen . Was able look at some other models .
    My understanding it has the 165 watt solar panel
    On roof. .it says 25 amp monitor ? I asked the sales guy is there a monitor in the trailer that shows power percentage ? How much charging and you can Select type battery used ?
    He showed me inside the bunk a power box of some sort looks like a inverter to me .
    I’m really curious more info on this system as
    It’s not on the grand design web page . The sales guy did t seem know details . I searched here and only found couple post on what’s stated in the build sheet already .
    So is there a control panel other then the system panel with battery level and tank levels ?
    What is the system used ?
    Is the trailer pre wired for solar . What I mean is in other trailer I owned there was a sticker and exterior plug for plug in panels . So you would remove sticker and the wiring is all there and you just plug in control panel in rig . Other brands I was considering have control panels installed from manufacturer.
    The single 165 watt panel if I wanted add additional is there already additional connections ? Or do you plug one panel into the next and just mount the panel ? Guessing dealer will just put a group 24 standard battery? Most dealers do if I want a agm or lithium that’s out our pocket ? Not even sure what this system can handle out put potential stock ect ?
    So please anyone if you have any information and know what I was asking lol please give me some input thanks much happy thanksgiving!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometime recently, GD switched the refrigerator from a gas/12v to 12v only. That means you must have a battery or be on house power to provide the 12v to fridge; no more gas. To prevent battery drain, GD put on a 165watt solar panel and a charge controller. Thats the box you indicated looks like an inverter. So that charge controller takes whatever solar output there is and charges battery with it. If you are always plugged into house power, you have no use for solar or that charge controller. But when you are moving (while towing) then without a gas option, you must use the battery to keep fridge stuff cool. It is VERY unlikely your tow vehicle sends enough juice thru the 7-pin to charge the battery let alone provide power to run the fridge. Again, if you are plugged in to house power, ignore solar. If you are towing, clean that panel and make sure the RED key is plugged in and rotated; you will need battery charged and running to keep fridge cool.

Is the trailer pre-wired for solar ? Yes. In fact the hardest part of a solar install is getting the wire from basement up to roof. They did that for you.

I installed a 400 watt solar setup in my friends XLS a few months back. I used the Victron charge controller, thus discarded the GD installed one, as I wanted to see charging details on my phone. Victron has bluetooth and is really setup for phone integration.

What will 165 watt panel output ? Math is simple: 165 watts / 12v = 13 amps. Reality is complicated. You will NEVER get 165 watts (nighttime, panel inefficiency, shade, dirt on panel, poor selection of wires during install etc...) I recall reading somewhere that these new fridge units draw around 1.2 amps so that panel should certainly provide enough power during at least a partially sunny day.

I tried to upload my solar schematic that has worked very well for me. NOTE: On my trailer, I had to run the wire up from basement to roof and needed a box on roof where hole is. You don't need that wire or that box. Without that box, the schematic is exactly what I put on friends XLS. Would I do same design again ? No. The rapidly growing LiOn battery technology is constantly dropping price and I would now go with these batteries; not the heavy ones I use.

If you want to learn about RV & solar, search YouTube for "Will Prowse". He has many videos that really break this complex subject into bite size pieces.

Good luck, Tom

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trailer Solar wiring_2020_Nov2.pdf 
Views:	72 
Size:	420.8 KB 
ID:	38194
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastforward View Post
    Does anyone own similar model or understand the system and what it comes with exactly?
    Just bought the trailer today site unseen . Was able look at some other models .
    My understanding it has the 165 watt solar panel
    On roof. .it says 25 amp monitor ? I asked the sales guy is there a monitor in the trailer that shows power percentage ? How much charging and you can Select type battery used ?
    He showed me inside the bunk a power box of some sort looks like a inverter to me .
    I’m really curious more info on this system as
    It’s not on the grand design web page . The sales guy did t seem know details . I searched here and only found couple post on what’s stated in the build sheet already .
    So is there a control panel other then the system panel with battery level and tank levels ?
    What is the system used ?
    Is the trailer pre wired for solar . What I mean is in other trailer I owned there was a sticker and exterior plug for plug in panels . So you would remove sticker and the wiring is all there and you just plug in control panel in rig . Other brands I was considering have control panels installed from manufacturer.
    The single 165 watt panel if I wanted add additional is there already additional connections ? Or do you plug one panel into the next and just mount the panel ? Guessing dealer will just put a group 24 standard battery? Most dealers do if I want a agm or lithium that’s out our pocket ? Not even sure what this system can handle out put potential stock ect ?
    So please anyone if you have any information and know what I was asking lol please give me some input thanks much happy thanksgiving!
    2024 Brinkley z2900
    2019 F350 Platinum, Shorter bed, Diesel, SRW, 3.55 rear, 55gal tank!
    2016 F150 Platinum (traded in for F350 fall 2019)
    2022 GD 2970RL (Sold, 2023-Oct)
    2016 GD 2600rb (Sold. 2022-May)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there a place to plug in a portable solar panel ?

GD Imagine 17

Thanks

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandot View Post
    Is there a place to plug in a portable solar panel ?

GD Imagine 17

Thanks
    First off, it looks like you're new here, welcome to the forum. Just an FYI, you're likely to get more helpful comments if you start a new thread rather than adding on to an old one.

Many of the Imagines do come with an external solar port.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S