User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    ... No dead racoon though as evidence.
    The racoon would have survived since your awning broke its fall.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, this experience is almost worth it for the comedy that has become this thread.

No, to the question, nothing seems bent at all. When I put a socket in to retract manually, it went in smoothly. What I can't tell is if there's anything bent on the rail, still need to get a closer look at that, but the awning itself, nothing appears bent.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's some pictures. Can anyone tell me if the black piece still up on the RV is the track?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211127_150313.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	37903

Name:	20211127_150304.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	37904

Name:	20211127_150323.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	37905

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's some pictures. Can anyone tell me if the black piece still up on the RV is the track?
    Yes - that black strip has a groove in it into which the awning fabric with rope or plastic slides.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Name:	20211127_150313.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	37903

Name:	20211127_150304.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	37904

Name:	20211127_150323.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	37905

It certainly looks like it. It's possible that the track has too large of a slot for that awning spline. It should slide in fairly snug. If it appears to slide in too easily maybe try carefully squeezing it closed just a tiny bit the first 12 inches. If it seems to be tighter but will still slide squeeze another 12 inches and keep working your way across the entire slot. I replaced an awning on my previous TT and had to use a little silicone spray in the track to get it fully installed.
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IBEW Sparky View Post
    ....had to use a little silicone spray in the track to get it fully installed.

Used it as well when we installed our slide toppers.... works great for those tight rails!
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been strapping my awnings down for 18 years and never had an issue. We spend a lot of time under them when the weather is not nice, and it helps keep things dry.
    Jay & Lorraine
    Ontario Canada
    2022 Reflection 337RLS
    2013 GMC 2500 Duramax

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My new 2600rb after 5 month trip it happened to me same scenario 4am BANG. The strut gave out stripping the gears and shearing the arm. 1800 in damage, Mobil tech took care of it under warranty. There was an over 2 month wait at a warranty shop, GD gave the ok for a Mobil tech to do it he came in and ordered parts job complete in 8 days, all of which was waiting for parts.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FF708camper View Post
    I have been strapping my awnings down for 18 years and never had an issue. We spend a lot of time under them when the weather is not nice, and it helps keep things dry.
    What method do you use for strapping your awning down. We have seen some where they put large screws in the ground with a rachet strap attached. Seems like a lot of places have said no to that method. Always looking for new ideas and this forum is loaded with people who think outside the box for a better way to do something.
    2019 29rs
    2007 Ram diesel, 4x4 long bed
    CDL with tanker, hazmat, emergency vehicle, and bus endorsements

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lorend View Post
    What method do you use for strapping your awning down. We have seen some where they put large screws in the ground with a rachet strap attached. Seems like a lot of places have said no to that method. Always looking for new ideas and this forum is loaded with people who think outside the box for a better way to do something.
    *****Our solution below*****

Having lost three (count'em, 3) awnings on two different RV's. The first one was my fault with an overnight downpour.. I pled ignorance. The second was a freak storm that came early while at breakfast, and the third was a too near tornado in Florida when we waited about 2 minutes too long to roll it up! Picture...I'm pushing the "retract" button while the awning is billowing on top of the roof!

We did the spiral anchors and ratchet straps thing connected to eye-bolts in the upper arm, but after spending over an hour to get one anchor into the county-mix gravel under the sod at the Coldwater, Michigan rally this year. we decided that was way too much trouble.

OUR SOLUTION was to buy 20 feet of 3/8 inch bungee cord, 4 1/4 inch "S" hooks, and two 10 foot lengths of 1/2 inch electrical conduit, which we cut in half. We put the straight piece of pipe into the flared end of the other half and threaded the bungee cord through the assembled pieces. We tied an "S" hook at one end and pulled about two feet of 'preload' before tying another "S" hook at the other end. On our Solitude, the top "S" hooks connects to the previously-installed eye-bolts at the top of the arms. The bottom "S" hooks attach to the original front and back folding steps (that we don't use anymore) by stretching the bungee through the conduit. When it is time to roll up the awning both units are easily removed. For travel, the two connected conduit pieces are separated and folded in half which take up almost no room in the basement. The hold-down tension is adjusted by tightening or loosening the bungees.

Total cost...about $20.
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast