<Sigh>

We never leave our awnings out, in fact, we rarely use them at all because of wind (I want them in the rain, and it's typically windy when raining!), but last night was supposed to be still as death. Left the awning out, and woke up around 4AM to a huge crash as it came down on the patio. Miraculously, nothing seems much worse for the wear, it broke all my clearance lights on the way down (no big deal, wanted LEDs anyway, good excuse to change them) and put a tiny scratch in one of the screens. Could have been MUCH worse.

I expected to find the mounting rail in the fallen awning, but to my shock, it was still up on the rig! Looks completely undamaged. I'm kind of wondering "how" this happened at all, it wasn't that windy (in fact, it wasn't windy at all), and from looking at it, I can't exactly figure how the awning could fall without taking the mounting rail with it. There are 2 screws that tore out that seemed to be to keep the awning from shifting on the rail, but the rail itself still happily sitting up above my back patio.

Glad I had my socket set to roll the awning back in, tell you that much! Equally shocked at how lucky I am/how little damage it did and trying to figure out how it fell in the first place. Could it have been installed wrong, not sitting on the rails (just held up by the 2 screws?). IDK, but tell you what, what a nightmare that could have been if that was the issue and it came off on the highway!!

Counting my blessings, and I'll get it figured out, but love any feedback or color on what could have happened here.