User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Visual Distance Markers on front of trailer?

I have a Grand Design travel trailer which has a nearly complete black front end. While I like to design, it seems to give me problems with depth perception when backing up. It is just hard to judge how close my tow vehicle is coming to the trailer front end.
    So I’m wondering whether other have experienced similar issue and have any ideas of maybe putting visual markers (measurement marks) or something across the front to give me visual cues to help. Any suggestions??

Edit: To clarify, my problem is not backing my tow vehicle to connect it to the trailer. It is once I’m connected and trying to back my trailer up and worried about jackknifing. The tongue and front of the trailer are both black and blend together so it’s hard to perceive depth.
    Last edited by jmtolbert; 11-27-2021 at 10:34 AM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Small flag on a magnetic mount would work.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A decent backup camera/monitor or proximity sensors should do the trick. Something placed at hitch level. My factory camera does a good job of helping me both align and show distance notification of the ball and coupler when backing up to any tow behind.

The bigger obstacle I find is backing up to my 5er. Being able to place the pin box depth from the tailgate when backing into my campground site (after disconnect) has been challenging at times. Luckily with a Turning Point pin box I usually roll it to the left/right to get more room and comfort zone when backing up to the trailer for parking purposes. Some trucks have a backup camera up on the rear cab light that would probably help in my situation. May look at installing one eventually.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased an IBALL magnetic camera. It’s color and it works great and you can position the camera anywhere since it has a powerful magnet designed to hold it while driving even. It’s got a pretty powerful signal and even works on the bumper of the rv.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You did not share your tow vehicle or specific travel trailer or if your perception problem is backing to hitch or backing and fearing a jack knife. So, I will guess hitching. Lowest buck are the magnetic tennis balls on a stick. One goes on the coupler and the other on the drawbar. Line them up and back to they touch. Highest est is an aftermarket reverse camera with distance grid, or a set of sensors thar provide an audible tone that intensifies the closer you get if you don't have a spot for a screen.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Franktafl View Post
    I purchased an IBALL magnetic camera. It’s color and it works great and you can position the camera anywhere since it has a powerful magnet designed to hold it while driving even. It’s got a pretty powerful signal and even works on the bumper of the rv.
    After your post, I did a search and found this one as well.

https://www.amazon.com/EWAY-Magnetic.../dp/B07Q7976P7

Both seem pretty reasonable price wise and easy to install. I not sure the IBall has smart phone capability, but the EWAY does.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you I really like that unit