Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Securing light weight antenna and cable to RV roof

I'm adding a forward remote ~10" antenna for my rear back-up/observation camera to get a better signal to the monitor in the tow vehicle. The coax cable and antenna is light weight and the antenna came with it's own 3M PE tissue tape on the bottom. I'm securing the ~15' of coax with zip tie mounts that also have outdoor 3M PE foam tape. The 3M tape is designed for outdoor use and can handle high temps but I want to add additional support to make sure the antenna and zip tie mounts don't come loose. The zip tie mounts do have small screw holes (not the antenna) but I would rather use an adhesive or silicone to help secure and keep the moisture away from the 3M PE tape.

Would acrylic latex chalk with silicone work or better to go with dicor lap sealant?

Thanks
    2022 Imagine 22RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 Big Horn 5.7 Hemi 4X4
    USAF Veteran

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple of things here... if I'm reading correctly, you're thinking about using adhesive to hold these things to the roof membrane. I'm not sure that's a very good idea as the roof membrane is only glued to the OSB underneath and that glue has been known to fail - frequently. In addition, you shouldn't use anything except the sealants and adhesives designed for your TPO or EPDM room membrane as the chemicals may not play nicely together. Screws with the appropriate sealant would be the best way.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    A couple of things here... if I'm reading correctly, you're thinking about using adhesive to hold these things to the roof membrane. I'm not sure that's a very good idea as the roof membrane is only glued to the OSB underneath and that glue has been known to fail - frequently. In addition, you shouldn't use anything except the sealants and adhesives designed for your TPO or EPDM room membrane as the chemicals may not play nicely together. Screws with the appropriate sealant would be the best way.

Rob
    Thanks for the reply.

I have read about the roof material problems. I did end up screwing down the first three zip tie mounts from the antenna. The antenna itself does not have screw holes, just the 3M PE tissue tape on the bottom. I put the first (closest to antenna) zip tie mount as close as I could get to the antenna and it's screwed down. The antenna and all zip tie mounts have dicor lap covering them and securing them to the roof along with the 3M PE foam tape that comes attached to them. The antenna would be the only item that could create any kind of wind drag but probably not much, the zip tie mounts are surface mount so not much surface.

If the antenna and/or zip tie mounts pull up the roof material then I had much bigger problems just waiting to happen.
    2022 Imagine 22RBE
    USAF Veteran

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not claiming this is the "right" way to do it, but when I had exposed wires on the roof (after adding my Togo for Internet), I taped them down with Eternabond and then covered the edges of the tape with a little lap sealant. I just look at/refresh the sealant as needed when I'm on the roof looking for any other issues, held up for 2 years so far and seems to be entirely secure so far. The Eternabond that I used is pretty wide, 3-4in, so there's a lot of tape on either side of the wire.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    Not claiming this is the "right" way to do it, but when I had exposed wires on the roof (after adding my Togo for Internet), I taped them down with Eternabond and then covered the edges of the tape with a little lap sealant. I just look at/refresh the sealant as needed when I'm on the roof looking for any other issues, held up for 2 years so far and seems to be entirely secure so far. The Eternabond that I used is pretty wide, 3-4in, so there's a lot of tape on either side of the wire.
    I was thinking about adding strips of Eternabond between zip tie mounts, not for additional securing but to reduce the tripping hazard since the coax sits about 1/2" above the roof. But then I also don't want to create a dam for water runoff.
    2022 Imagine 22RBE
    USAF Veteran

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used the 3/4” square zip tie wire mounts with 3M VHB tape to secure my solar wires for 3 years now without using screws. I do monitor the roof membrane often to see if It is pulling up but have not seen any issues. The wire runs are relatively short and go both side to side and front to back. I attach one every 6 inches or so. I probably have over 25,000 miles from Ohio to Montana and Ohio to Arizona.
    Brian & Shea+ Zeke & Roxy GSP’s
    2018 GD Reflection 303RLS 800w solar 400ah LiFePO4
    Sold 2018 Ford F-250 CCSB Lariat gas 2,980# payload
    2024 Ford F-350 4x4 CCSB Lariat diesel 4,000# payload

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am going to install a Dish satelite system (weighs 8 lbs) on my roof but do not want to screw into my roof for possible future leakage problems so I was going to screw the Dish to a piece of 3/4 plywood which I will set on the roof and then seal the corner edges of the plywood to the rubber roof to guard against strong winds. We are permanent in our resort and do not travel with the fifth wheel. I was going to use some Home Depot exterior sealer. Does anyone see any flaws in this design?
    Bob and Shirley (both recently retired)
    Ontario Canada
    2018 Solitude 310GK
    2018 Ford Diesel King Ranch F350 Short Bed
    Pull Rite Super Glide

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HOWITTRO View Post
    I am going to install a Dish satelite system (weighs 8 lbs) on my roof but do not want to screw into my roof for possible future leakage problems so I was going to screw the Dish to a piece of 3/4 plywood which I will set on the roof and then seal the corner edges of the plywood to the rubber roof to guard against strong winds. We are permanent in our resort and do not travel with the fifth wheel. I was going to use some Home Depot exterior sealer. Does anyone see any flaws in this design?
    Yes. You need to use the proper lap sealant for your roof membrane - either TPO or EPDM. Your Serial Number Data sheet (came with the trailer) will have the roof information. If you can't find that, call GD Customer Service with your VIN and ask them which type of roof membrane you have. Other sealants/caulks may damage your roof membrane - and will certainly void the membrane warranty.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Yes. You need to use the proper lap sealant for your roof membrane - either TPO or EPDM. Your Serial Number Data sheet (came with the trailer) will have the roof information. If you can't find that, call GD Customer Service with your VIN and ask them which type of roof membrane you have. Other sealants/caulks may damage your roof membrane - and will certainly void the membrane warranty.

Rob
    ditto - what Rob said....

Whenever I have to secure coax to a roof I just use whatever self leveling lap sealant is approved and "tack" it down about every 12".

As for mounting the antenna directly to the membrane - not sure that is enough - maybe have to screw it down so the wind doesn't pull back the rubber roof material.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HOWITTRO View Post
    It's not the weight of the dish that is concerning, it's the wind load of it that may well cause problems. As Rob mentioned, the roof membrane is glued to the OSB that's under it. Most times it's not even glued that well.

If you affix a piece of plywood to the membrane, the wind load on the sat dish antenna is going to torque that plywood and put pressure on the membrane. I really feel that after time you will pull the membrane away from the roofing.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast