User Tag List

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Water System Add on

So, I added a UV filter and replaced my previous inline filter. My plan is to leave this system in place when I travel. It's secured to the wall and ceiling, and doesn't move at the inlet or black flush port when I attempt to shake it. Thought I'd share.

It still has a residential pressure regulator, valves to shut incoming water off at 2 points, and the ability to divert through a check valve into the blackwater flush port. I also added a port to draw in bleach solution for tank sanitize, or to share treated water with an external tank / other RV. That part I still need to finish with a short length of pipe and garden hose port.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Water System.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	103.8 KB 
ID:	26431
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
    2020 Ram 3500 SRW
    https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7803/4...56f2161a_m.jpg

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh my, at first it look like a video game trying to follow the flow. Lol
    Nice job

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure I want to build such an elaborate system but I would like to add an internal water filter system between the hose and the water input. We use a water filter system at home for drinking and cooking water which works very well. We had the water tested. However the system restricts the flow to much for regular use. What water filter did you use and how much does it restrict the flow?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryS1964 View Post
    I'm not sure I want to build such an elaborate system but I would like to add an internal water filter system between the hose and the water input. We use a water filter system at home for drinking and cooking water which works very well. We had the water tested. However the system restricts the flow to much for regular use. What water filter did you use and how much does it restrict the flow?
    Yes, I hear you on the elaborate part. That first drop you see that is capped is actually a non-filtered port so I can attach my garden hose reel and just keep it under the rig. The carbon filter is actually a sediment filter from Lowes--forget the brand. What we did was get the standard carbon block filter insert for it. The UV filter is a Pelican Basic UV 14. Nothing really restricts flow that I can tell. The trick to non-restricted flow is the residential pressure regulator and the pressure gauge right at the RV freshwater inlet. The same flow could be achieved with an adjustable RV pressure regulator, and a pressure gauge after any filter you were planning to add. So I believe the whole house regulator I have is set a default that should be right around 50. I vary between 40 and 45 psi on the inlet.
    2020 Ram 3500 SRW

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that is the work of a true enginerd... I love it! Nice work!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chemist308 View Post
    So, I added a UV filter and replaced my previous inline filter. My plan is to leave this system in place when I travel. It's secured to the wall and ceiling, and doesn't move at the inlet or black flush port when I attempt to shake it. Thought I'd share.

It still has a residential pressure regulator, valves to shut incoming water off at 2 points, and the ability to divert through a check valve into the blackwater flush port. I also added a port to draw in bleach solution for tank sanitize, or to share treated water with an external tank / other RV. That part I still need to finish with a short length of pipe and garden hose port.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Water System.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	103.8 KB 
ID:	26431
    Nice and clean set-up. Just one question for you. I am wondering what the flow and residence time is in your UV filter to actually kill all the bacteria. I am thinking that the flowrate will have a major factor on the 99.99% kill rate. Medium flow to exporsure...o.k. but would you not have benefited more from installing this on the kitchen or bathroom sink instead of the whole inlet water supply side.
    Pierre & Tara

2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2020 GMC Sierra SLE 1500
    1200/12000 Equalizer Hitch

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrovsky View Post
    Nice and clean set-up. Just one question for you. I am wondering what the flow and residence time is in your UV filter to actually kill all the bacteria. I am thinking that the flowrate will have a major factor on the 99.99% kill rate. Medium flow to exporsure...o.k. but would you not have benefited more from installing this on the kitchen or bathroom sink instead of the whole inlet water supply side.
    So the system I installed was a residential system. It's rated for up to 14 gallon per minute. With my inline pressure regulator, my actual inflow is much lower than that--at the faucets I don't even draw 4 GPM. If I were filling my fresh tank with an external pump from surface water, I might draw up to 7, but that would be slamming it in there, and I doubt the whole house pressure regulator would allow that flow. At those rates, the UV exposure is plenty enough to treat surface water. Also plumbed in a port to send treated water through a hose or share it if there was ever a need.

So I guess if the SHTF, between that, and a carbon block filter, and an RO system I probably really could take on surface water. Not that I would ever need to...
    2020 Ram 3500 SRW

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chemist308 View Post
    So the system I installed was a residential system. It's rated for up to 14 gallon per minute. With my inline pressure regulator, my actual inflow is much lower than that--at the faucets I don't even draw 4 GPM. If I were filling my fresh tank with an external pump from surface water, I might draw up to 7, but that would be slamming it in there, and I doubt the whole house pressure regulator would allow that flow. At those rates, the UV exposure is plenty enough to treat surface water. Also plumbed in a port to send treated water through a hose or share it if there was ever a need.

So I guess if the SHTF, between that, and a carbon block filter, and an RO system I probably really could take on surface water. Not that I would ever need to...
    You would be an astronaut in a capsule recycling all liquids...LOL! Thanks for the explanation....makes sense.
    Pierre & Tara

2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2020 GMC Sierra SLE 1500
    1200/12000 Equalizer Hitch

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have any real treatment setup other than a simple filter to trap 10+ micron particles, but , I did install a 16K RV softener in the front battery compartment of our 5r using quick connects, pex and 2 bypass ball valves for recharging to and from the Nautilus . I originally considered a similar setup as the OP but decided on reusable water containers and just fill them up at a local Walmart for drinking water.

Came to the decision that the main purpose for our application was to protect the valves/etc, use less cleaning products, and use less water in the process. Eliminated soap and mineral buildup on faucets, basins, drains and toilet. Most campgrounds we have experience have hard water. And after living off softened well water at our lake house for 20+yrs, haven't had to replace any plumbing and/or appliances due to hard ground water. Eventually did the same thing with our primary residence too with a Fleck 5600 system for the past 10 years. Wish I did it 15 yrs before that! Will never have a home without one again. On our primary and lake home, we do bypass the softener (after filtering) for drinking water tap on sink and fridge to eliminate any additional salt intake during cooking, drinking or ice cube making.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)