User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Approx. time to run black flush for partial refill

Hi. Can anyone give me an idea of how long to run the flush in the black tank once the tank is emptied & clean and I close the valve to refill? I'd like to fill a few gallons so I can add Happy Camper inside. I typically let the black flush run about 5 minutes. Have no idea if thats enough time to refill a few gallons or not. Thanks in advance.

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Timing the black tank flush is not the best option. At several gallons per minute for five minutes, you could get into trouble. Water pressure and flow rates vary significantly and we don't know what size your black tank is. You can start a refill and watch the level indicators inside (if they're still working) and fill it up to 1/3 before opening the valve again. Another good way is to get an inexpensive in-line water meter and put it on the flush hose to measure the water you're putting into the tank.

You can create a signature block with your RV and tow vehicle information (see mine below). That way you won't have to repeat that information whenever you post or ask a question - and others won't have to ask. You can create a signature by going to:

Forum Actions (on menu bar) -> Edit Profile -> Edit Signature (under My Settings on the left)

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahooie View Post
    Hi. Can anyone give me an idea of how long to run the flush in the black tank once the tank is emptied & clean and I close the valve to refill? I'd like to fill a few gallons so I can add Happy Camper inside. I typically let the black flush run about 5 minutes. Have no idea if thats enough time to refill a few gallons or not. Thanks in advance.
    Hi Lahooie - On the morning we are leaving the campsite, I add water thru the toilet using a Johnny Chock - about $10 on Amazon. I stay in the bathroom to make sure there are no disasters with over filling. I can hear the tank getting near full and pull out the Johnny Chock. Going around to the tank pulls, I pull the black tank and wait for it to drain. I then attach the flush hose and let it run til the black tank runs fairly clear or very clear - depending on if we are going to another site or heading for home. I then shut off the flush and let the tank completely drain, then close off the black tank. I carry a 5 gallon bucket and add about 3-4 gallons of water along with some Fabulous or some other cleaner to the black tank through the toilet. Thats it. No more.

IMO anything more than 3-4 gallons shloshing around is unnecessary and adds weight. I agree with Rob, water pressures vary and letting it run for 5 minutes could amount to a large amount of water that isn't necessary to accomplish what your are trying to do.
    Tim & Lisa
    2012 Silverado SRW LB 3500 Duramax
    2018 Reflection 337RLS, IS, Kodiak Discs

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use one of these water meters, to check it’s accuracy i filled a 5 galLon bucket and it was spot on. I like to fill my blank tank as close to full as I can before I flush it to get optimal debris out. Make sure you know how many gallons your black tank can hold and stay 5 gallons below that as a buffer.
    https://www.amazon.com/Save-a-Drop-E...WK5&srpt=TIMER
    2020 2970rl
    2021 Ram 2500

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My tank emptying process is as follows:

- Empty black tank
    - Empty kitchen gray tank
    - Empty bath gray tank
    - Flush black tank until runs clear (about 15 minutes); close black tank valve
    - Fill five gallon pail with water
    - Put a gallon of water in toilet, along with scoop of Happy Camper; flush
    - Flush remaining water into toilet

Obviously skip last three steps if going into winter storage.

John
    John & Mary
    2019 Solitude 375RES
    2016 RAM 3500 Longhorn Limited - Mega Cab; 6.7L Cummins; SB; DRW; 4X4; Aisin; 4.10
    Curt A20 Slider

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my Reflection (Permanent Camp Site)- 43 gal black tank, I have been using the following method for 2 years with great success so far. Water pressure is 30 to 40 on a good day. Total flush time 10 mins - Flush at approx 3/4 tank full - Turn on sprayer, immediately open flush valve, leaving sprayer running, flush for 5 mins - Close flush valve for 2 mins - Open valve run for another 3 mins. Shut off sprayer, let drain, close valve. (Use Septic safe Simply Done TP)

Add 1 scoop Happy campers, about 1/2 cup dawn detergent - Fill & drain toilet 2X. No odors, whatsoever - Always come back to a nice smelling camper. In addition - Wife always leaves bounce dryer sheets scattered about and we spray Tea tree oil/water mixture around the leveling legs & tires - Defiantly keeps the ants out & so far no mice - lol

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also shut the valve and use the tank wash, but not very often as it makes me uncomfortable, knowing the results if I forget to shut off the wash, or open the valve. It does happen fairly often, and it seems like Murphy is always hanging around to make trouble.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no way to time it and be consistent. Everywhere you go will have a different flow rate. You can either use an inexpensive flow meter on the flush hose and add 2.5 to 4 gallons, which is sufficient, or simply go inside and add 4 bowl-fulls of clean water after flushing.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also use a flow meter and love it. It takes the guessing out of it. I also use it to fill my fresh tank and stop the flow before it hit the overflow.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm. I've always just used the toilet bowl method. 3 or 4 bowlfuls and called it good. I like tools and gizmos but never considered a meter to determine how much water I put in the black tank.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast