User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Extended Warranties

Hello, have a 2022 Solitude 310 GK-R on order which is expected to arrive mid December. I see there are lots of options on the internet for extended warranties. The dealership sells a warranty through Protective Asset Protection. The plans I have reviewed seem to vary greatly in price. Please share you thoughts and exsperiences. Thank You

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi and welcome !

There have been many conversations on warranties. Here are a few for your reading pleasure

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/thre...php?do=process
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank You - still learning this site

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geno310 View Post
    Hello, have a 2022 Solitude 310 GK-R on order which is expected to arrive mid December. I see there are lots of options on the internet for extended warranties. The dealership sells a warranty through Protective Asset Protection. The plans I have reviewed seem to vary greatly in price. Please share you thoughts and exsperiences. Thank You
    You'll find plenty of reading following @WhittleBurner's advice and link. Here's what I usually post in those threads:

My wife found a very good description of extended service plans a while back (they are not warranties, but rather insurance policies with lots of fine print). They are another form of legalized gambling. The company is betting that nothing breaks that would cause them to pay out more than you paid for the policy; you're betting it will. As in all forms of legalized gambling, the house usually wins. Otherwise, these companies wouldn't be in business or make a profit.

Dave Ramsey and Clark Howard have commented on these plans many times, too. The standard seems to be that 80% of extended service plan revenue goes toward commissions and marketing. Only 20% goes toward paying for actual repairs, which means most people are getting a really bad deal. We prefer to set money aside regularly (earning interest) and pay for repairs as they come up.

And here are a few forum tips I usually give, also:

1) You can create a signature block with your RV and tow vehicle information (see mine below). That way you won't have to repeat that information whenever you post or ask a question - and others won't have to ask. You can create a signature by going to:

Forum Actions (on menu bar) -> Edit Profile -> Edit Signature (under My Settings on the left)

2) If you use "Reply With Quote" (to the right of "Reply") as I have here, folks will know to whom you are responding and that person will get a notification.

3) You can also tag folks using the "@" symbol and their user name (as I have done with Marcy above) - they'll also get a notification that way.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are former owners on GD RV, but still peruse this site....

Here's our experience, albeit limited...

When we were selling our RV, we indicated extended transferable was available as part of what we considered to be an asset.
    But... we also did some modifications. Mind you... nothing major at all. I removed the padded headboard, modified the dining area by removing the back rest, painted the island, hutch backsplash, and stove backsplash to match the granite top, put little shelves up in bathroom by mirror, removed ugly curtains and put up custom made blackout curtains thruout rv,.....minor things.

The buyer contacted the company for transfer. I guess some adjuster came, saw the minor modifications. They would not provide transfer unless everything was put back to original state. So for buyer to get remaining extended warranty of about 2 yrs, it would cost him several thousand dollars.

We never used it... we didn't travel as planned... but that's another story. But... point is.... you really need to read the fine print and be aware of any reason for the warranty company to NOT pay or transfer.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Lynette & Steve
    2001 Ford Excursion 4WD 7.3 Turbo Diesel
    Former Owner - 2018 315RLTS Reflection TT